collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 08:08:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:08:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 08:07:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:07:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 08:06:45 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 08:06:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 08:06:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villa in Denmark
[Today at 08:05:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell  (Read 302501 times)

Offline GarTomas

Re: Conor Hourihane - SIGNED
« Reply #1515 on: January 13, 2020, 08:27:29 AM »
 Not a premier league player.
We could afford to carry him in the championship with the quality of Grealish and McGinn either side of him but in reality I don’t think he’s any more than any average championship player.
His set piece ability is superb though I will say.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1516 on: January 13, 2020, 08:30:03 AM »
We could afford to carry him in the championship with the quality of Grealish and McGinn either side of him but in reality I don’t think he’s any more than any average championship player.
He is ok to come on when we are dominant and he does not need to defend
I just cannot understand why Smith plays him in situations where it is obvious he will be exposed.

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #1517 on: January 13, 2020, 08:32:25 AM »
He is ok to come on when we are dominant and he does not need to defend
I just cannot understand why Smith plays him in situations where it is obvious he will be exposed.

I think it will be at least another season (assuming we stay up!) before we’ve invested the squad to a level where we can do this in the top flight.

Offline danno

« Reply #1518 on: January 13, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
I like him but last year a 35 year old Glenn Whelan was keeping him out of the team. I'm sure he can do a job for us when we're playing sides mid table or lower but against the best teams you hardly notice he's playing.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1519 on: January 13, 2020, 10:29:28 AM »
He was piss but I'd still start him in the next two league games. We need wins, which require goals and there are too few goal threats in our side to leave him out. Particularly as alternatives in the center like Nakamba and Doug are doubly piss. You play Conor, just as we used to with Westwood, knowing he'll be absolutely no use defensively. Against teams we might have at least a passing share of the ball, he's too much of a threat with set pieces and his finishing to leave out. If sign a couple of strikers, by all means, you can then drop him if he's poor. But we haven't, so we can't.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1520 on: January 13, 2020, 10:33:36 AM »
Fine Supertom, but Smith sets it up where he has to defend and he can’t.
TheN the only solution is to play him in an attacking role which means having a defensive midfield set up behind him.
Then the choice is 2 from Conor Trez AEG.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1521 on: January 13, 2020, 10:38:54 AM »
TheN the only solution is to play him in an attacking role which means having a defensive midfield set up behind him.

With 3 CH's, I'd only be playing one of Douglas or Nakamba. We're so light in attack right now, I don't think we've much option but to playing Jack, Trez and AEG up as a three either. None of our midfielders at the moment seem very aggressive defensively either. It's a bit powderpuff.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1522 on: January 13, 2020, 10:41:12 AM »

Yeah that's where I'd play him. I thought towards the end of last season he had hardened up physically quite a bit. Playoff final as an example or even that game v Leeds. Nothing more than a passenger without the ball all season though and you can't get away with that in this division as a midfielder. Whether it's lack of self belief, heart, pace or a combination of all three I'm not sure. Unfortunately Luiz is as bad without the goal or set piece threat.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #1523 on: January 13, 2020, 10:45:52 AM »
This man is an enigma. Only useful going forward. He sleeps the rest of the game.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1524 on: January 13, 2020, 11:52:39 AM »

With 3 CH's, I'd only be playing one of Douglas or Nakamba. We're so light in attack right now, I don't think we've much option but to playing Jack, Trez and AEG up as a three either. None of our midfielders at the moment seem very aggressive defensively either. It's a bit powderpuff.
it would be like the Aliomo.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1525 on: January 13, 2020, 12:25:08 PM »
He was piss but I'd still start him in the next two league games. We need wins, which require goals and there are too few goal threats in our side to leave him out. Particularly as alternatives in the center like Nakamba and Doug are doubly piss. You play Conor, just as we used to with Westwood, knowing he'll be absolutely no use defensively. Against teams we might have at least a passing share of the ball, he's too much of a threat with set pieces and his finishing to leave out. If sign a couple of strikers, by all means, you can then drop him if he's poor. But we haven't, so we can't.

Agreed. If we're likely to be on the front foot, he plays. If we're backs against the wall he doesn't. As shit as Trez and AEG are most of the time they do at least offer an outlet in those circumstances. They give the ball away far too much but even then they're slightly more use than Connor who is just invisible in that type of game. His use on set pieces though, that's a different story.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1526 on: January 13, 2020, 12:35:50 PM »
I don’t always get what people expect of Conor at this level. He’s a solid Championship level player and a decent squad player for a lower level PL club which is precisely what we are. In the right circumstances he will prove valuable which he has done on a few occasions this season. But to think he’s going to stand out against top teams is asking way too much of him. We need much better midfield player than the ones we have so the CH isn’t being relied on in games vs Man City where he disappears. He’s simply not at that level.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #1527 on: January 13, 2020, 12:43:42 PM »
The match yesterday showed him up for what he is, a Championship player at best. He has spent his entire career in the lower leagues and he cannot step up to Premier League level. It is not as if he is a young inexperienced player that could develop. The speed of the game finds players out and he cannot cope with the constant movement of the opposition players.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1528 on: January 13, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »
Will still contribute greatly to at least one six pointer win in the run in.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1529 on: January 13, 2020, 01:00:15 PM »
He works hard, has a good shot on him and is a useful squad player but wouldn't/shouldn't be in the starting 11 in my view.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal