collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

FFP by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:18:29 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:17:17 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 05:24:21 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 05:23:50 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dwight Yorke not given an interview shocker  (Read 14650 times)

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
Re: Dwight Yorke not given an interview shocker
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2016, 12:04:08 AM »
Well this report definitely backs up York's case of racism in football (management) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38002436 Only 2 mangers in the English Leagues from black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) background in Chris Hughton and Keith Curle - pish poor in other words and no improvement from the report 2 years earlier.

That's the sad thing. I'm certain there is institutional bias against black managers

It's just not helpful when people like Yorke and sol Campbell say it's what's holding them back

More instructive I think is that Paul ince had to start at mk dons while practically every other former fergie player went straight into a rich championship side, premier league side, or international manager position

I don't care where Paul Ince had to start, isn't it generally recognised he was utter bobbins.

I don't buy the racism card here. Football is a success / results driven industry and it wouldn't matter one jot if the candidate for the job had three heads, was purple and came from Mars - If it was thought that they would or could be successful they would get the job. As has already been mentioned what are Dwight's credentials to be a manager? Terry Connor and Chris Powell are both currently working as assistant managers , both had a go at being manager without success but I haven't heard either blame race as the reason for their stepping down and both are still happy being in football . There are many black ex players out there who I believe have the ability to be managers but for whatever reason have chosen not to ( Our very own Ian Taylor being one! ) they have chosen other roles in the game  including punditry and appear content but maybe just maybe didn't want to be managers?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2016, 12:31:49 AM »
Well this report definitely backs up York's case of racism in football (management) http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38002436 Only 2 mangers in the English Leagues from black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) background in Chris Hughton and Keith Curle - pish poor in other words and no improvement from the report 2 years earlier.

That's the sad thing. I'm certain there is institutional bias against black managers

It's just not helpful when people like Yorke and sol Campbell say it's what's holding them back

More instructive I think is that Paul ince had to start at mk dons while practically every other former fergie player went straight into a rich championship side, premier league side, or international manager position

I don't care where Paul Ince had to start, isn't it generally recognised he was utter bobbins.

I don't buy the racism card here. Football is a success / results driven industry and it wouldn't matter one jot if the candidate for the job had three heads, was purple and came from Mars - If it was thought that they would or could be successful they would get the job. As has already been mentioned what are Dwight's credentials to be a manager? Terry Connor and Chris Powell are both currently working as assistant managers , both had a go at being manager without success but I haven't heard either blame race as the reason for their stepping down and both are still happy being in football . There are many black ex players out there who I believe have the ability to be managers but for whatever reason have chosen not to ( Our very own Ian Taylor being one! ) they have chosen other roles in the game  including punditry and appear content but maybe just maybe didn't want to be managers?

Aren't the stats about black managers reflected in pretty much every aspect of the sport apart from the players though?  How many black referees are there?  What percentage of most people in grounds up and down the land on match days are black?  Players aside, it's an overwhelmingly 'white' sport (not saying that is right, just an observation). 

Yorke might have good intentions, but I get the impression that he just wants to walk into a job where he can have all the media interest and attention on him again.  Let's face it, his reputation isn't exactly one that carries a lot of gravitas either.  Saying that, I'm sure lower league clubs would love to have someone with his profile as their manager and the likes of Nigel Clough and Martin O'Neill started their managerial careers in non league football. 

Offline Old Kodjia

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2016, 12:51:44 AM »
Personally, any player who taunts our fans by kissing another sides badge in front of them should never be considered for a managers position here, regardless of race or religion.

And yes, I am petty. 

With regards Yorke, what is the point in wasting his and everyone elses time by interviewing him for a job that he was never going to get?  It is ridiculous to put that down to racism.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2016, 07:11:22 AM »
Worth considering the ethnic breakdown of the population plus look at the amount of asian players playing professionally

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2016, 07:25:01 AM »
Has anyone asked Dwight what the reason is behind the fact that, despite the backing of his friends in the media, his former teammate, Ryan Giggs, hasn't simply walked into a top flight job?  Perhaps the answer is that most clubs now want some sort of coaching pedigree, and in the Premier League that is increasingly a degree of success in a major European league/managing at international level.   

If Yorke, or any other ex-player come to that, wants the top jobs they need to assess the reality of what it takes to get the them.  Coaching badges plus a stint coaching abroad or working your way up the ladder at a club, beginning with the kids.  Alternatively, look at the apprenticeships some of the top managers he worked for had before they got to the club he signed for: Lincoln City, Watford...; East Stirlingshire, St Mirren, Aberdeen...

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2016, 07:29:44 AM »
Has anyone asked Dwight what the reason is behind the fact that, despite the backing of his friends in the media, his former teammate, Ryan Giggs, hasn't simply walked into a top flight job?  Perhaps the answer is that most clubs now want some sort of coaching pedigree, and in the Premier League that is increasingly a degree of success in a major European league/managing at international level.   

If Yorke, or any other ex-player come to that, wants the top jobs they need to assess the reality of what it takes to get the them.  Coaching badges plus a stint coaching abroad or working your way up the ladder at a club, beginning with the kids.  Alternatively, look at the apprenticeships some of the top managers he worked for had before they got to the club he signed for: Lincoln City, Watford...; East Stirlingshire, St Mirren, Aberdeen...

He's Welsh and you'd be drowned in phlegm every time he spoke to you?

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2016, 07:31:21 AM »
Worth considering the ethnic breakdown of the population plus look at the amount of asian players playing professionally

Peter w to the thread please.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »
Are any black players held back due their colour - I don't think so

Why is Chris Hughton so sought after as a Manager (I would have broke the bank for him) - err maybe its because he is good at it?

Would like to see the list of Black ex players that have actually applied themselves to be a Manager and have been turned down - and I do not mean pricks like Yorke who thinks he has a divine rite to be a Manager of a premiership club.

Earn the right, like you did as a player

Considering how many black players there are in all forms of football why would a Manager be held back if they were proven and had the ability - irrespective of their colour or background?

Offline stuart r

• Location: Highley (Home of the Gerry Hitchens Fitness Suite at the local leisure centre- He started his career with Highley Miners Welfare)
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »
Interesting article. I've put it here as its about racism and football and this thread has veered into that subject.

WARNING:Contains Adrian Chiles and WBA

The match that pitted white players against black players: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37924448

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2016, 05:56:43 PM »
I'm missing something here, I think. yorke to my mind didn't get near VP because his a cock.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2016, 06:35:52 AM »
Are any black players held back due their colour - I don't think so

Why is Chris Hughton so sought after as a Manager (I would have broke the bank for him) - err maybe its because he is good at it?

Would like to see the list of Black ex players that have actually applied themselves to be a Manager and have been turned down - and I do not mean pricks like Yorke who thinks he has a divine rite to be a Manager of a premiership club.

Earn the right, like you did as a player

Considering how many black players there are in all forms of football why would a Manager be held back if they were proven and had the ability - irrespective of their colour or background?

It seems credible to me. A bit like American football where black players were trusted to do the running but not to be the brains as the quarter back - until I think there was a really successful black quarterback a few years ago. Not sure if that trend had changed. Similarly practically all of the best basketball players have been black for ages, but the vast bulk of the coaches were white

I remember Ron noades saying he loved his skilful black players but thy couldn't be trusted to put a shift in in the winter. I just don't think there was ever any evidence for that at all.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2016, 06:44:54 AM »
Interesting article. I've put it here as its about racism and football and this thread has veered into that subject.

WARNING:Contains Adrian Chiles and WBA

The match that pitted white players against black players: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37924448

Good article. Bob Hazell who it says played in that game. He had a son Reuben, who was at villa as a kid before going to tranmere for quite a few years. I used to play with him in the handsworth little league. As a complete aside, there were quite a few players who were much more talented than him, but who I don't think ever got near the game. I'm sure that's entirely natural but I bet in Germany kids would have been coached by UEFA qualified  coaches, rather than the off duty policemen that we were!   

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2016, 10:11:08 AM »
Or another reason could be too much money in the game

How many Managers look like they age ten years for every one they manage?
How many have had serious, and in some cases life threatening, illnesses linked to the pressure of being a Manager

A lot of the players today earn so much money whilst playing why would they want to put themselves through that? There are just as many white footballers who also choose not to be a manager or if they do, do not get the chance they would like

Paul Ince (Not helped I'm sure by his persona of "The Guvnor" ) is case in point - very good player, went into management at the right level, had several clubs but ultimately proved to be not very good at it. Just like I am sure many white players have

Sheringham
Bobby Charlton
Gary Neville

to name a few - I really cannot accept that it is because of their colour - I think it is a cheap shot to claim it to cover up their seemingly lack of motivation or ability to become a manager

As for Asian players it is a case of generations being intrinsically linked to cricket rather than football. I lived in Smethwick for years and the parks were empty of footballers but every weekend there were loads playing cricket as to the youth of the area it was the game they were brought up on. Today and several generations on many young men follow football as their main sport and as such when they have kids they would be encouraged to play it and the better ones will be picked up.
I do not know but I would imagine there are many British born Asians plying their trade in the lower divisions and it is only a matter of time before some of them break into the higher leagues - just like it did with black players in the early 60's

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2016, 11:05:26 AM »
I think he may have a point about the issue around the lack of black managers in the game.  I'm not convinced that football in this country is racist in general.  But it is a surprise that there are less around.  It might be more of a socialty thing.

But yeah it is a bit of a joke than Dwight expected to be in the running for our job just because he was a successful player for us. Odd.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2016, 12:26:50 PM »
I love this guy for what he did as a player but I would not be happy seeing him in the Villa Park dugout. Its nothing to do with his colour he has no experience of management (does he even have the right coaching badges?) and just doesn't strike me as someone who is tactically aware. Plus the way he ignores his duties as a father to his disabled son is a disgrace and I know that has nothing to do with football but I like to think Aston Villa employs decent people with a moral compass as well as a football brain.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal