collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 11:05:41 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 11:03:58 AM]

Season Tickets by chrisw1
[Today at 10:58:03 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:51:46 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Drummond
[Today at 10:04:29 AM]

Kits 24/25 by sid1964
[Today at 09:57:32 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245236 times)

Offline VancouverLion

• GM : 24.01.2016
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2925 on: October 11, 2016, 03:15:11 AM »
We're 19th in the Championship and people are turning their nose up at Bruce because all he'll offer us is promotion.......Jesus f'kin wept!

Offline mike

« Reply #2926 on: October 11, 2016, 06:14:49 AM »
Brian, I agree about Rowett 100%, but do you really think he'd get the backing from fans coming straight from there? Bruce left them ten years ago and he's still viewed as the anti-Christ by many. The 'unproven/club too big' tag would be thrown at both Wagner and Johnson and I'll be honest and confess I don't know which Smith you refer to!  I wanted Warnock, which was obviously not well received but it's all about opinions...

EDIT - Just realised.  Dean Smith.

I really don't think Bruce's previous employer is anything to do with it. It's just underwhelming. And as many have said, stealing something of value from them would be considered a victory. I think Rowett would be an immediate hero just for leaving them in the lurch and coming to us. Sadly, he won't be coming.

So it's not about Bruce's former employers, but taking their manager off them would be a victory? A slight contradiction there I think.

Nope. The reason Bruce is not my choice has nowt to do with Blues, nor has the fact that Rowett IS my choice. The fact Rowett would be coming from them is an incidental and irrelevant bonus.

You can't say it would be a victory and a irrelevant bonus.

I can. Getting one over on them is a victory, but it has nothing to do with why I want Rowett, so the victory is irrelevant and a bonus to my reasons for wanting him. Id still want him  if he had done so well with a similar club with similar financial difficulties but then I would not have the irrelevant bonus of upsetting Blues fans. It's also really not very important.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2927 on: October 11, 2016, 06:19:03 AM »

I can. Getting one over on them is a victory

Really?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2928 on: October 11, 2016, 07:06:10 AM »
Brian, I agree about Rowett 100%, but do you really think he'd get the backing from fans coming straight from there? Bruce left them ten years ago and he's still viewed as the anti-Christ by many. The 'unproven/club too big' tag would be thrown at both Wagner and Johnson and I'll be honest and confess I don't know which Smith you refer to!  I wanted Warnock, which was obviously not well received but it's all about opinions...

EDIT - Just realised.  Dean Smith.

I really don't think Bruce's previous employer is anything to do with it. It's just underwhelming. And as many have said, stealing something of value from them would be considered a victory. I think Rowett would be an immediate hero just for leaving them in the lurch and coming to us. Sadly, he won't be coming.

So it's not about Bruce's former employers, but taking their manager off them would be a victory? A slight contradiction there I think.

Nope. The reason Bruce is not my choice has nowt to do with Blues, nor has the fact that Rowett IS my choice. The fact Rowett would be coming from them is an incidental and irrelevant bonus.

You can't say it would be a victory and a irrelevant bonus.

I can. Getting one over on them is a victory, but it has nothing to do with why I want Rowett, so the victory is irrelevant and a bonus to my reasons for wanting him. Id still want him  if he had done so well with a similar club with similar financial difficulties but then I would not have the irrelevant bonus of upsetting Blues fans. It's also really not very important.

I can. Getting one over on them is a victory

Really?

But he says it's not realy very important stealing their manager but brings it up anyway. I'm not sure he actually knows what he's talking about.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2929 on: October 11, 2016, 07:09:14 AM »
Bruce did take blues and hull back down again - though not immediately iirc

It's unfair to paint this as failure though. I'd have thought it's fairly predictable that such clubs would go down again. The clubs who've tended to come up and stay up have have been the exception - often spending money, or having brilliant recruitment / youth teams, or been built for success over a number of years

I bet Bournemouth go down this season or next. It doesn't mean they've got a bad manager

We should in theory be well placed to buck the trend / if dr x keeps spending. And if we have to move Bruce out to get in a more dynamic coach then so be it

Not an inspiring choice. But we went for potential with lambert, sherwood and garde; and we took the risk that early RDM was the better reflection than his recent exploits. We should know what we're getting here and I'm ok with that

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2930 on: October 11, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
We're 19th in the Championship and people are turning their nose up at Bruce because all he'll offer us is promotion.......Jesus f'kin wept!
Other fans browsing our board must be pissing themselves. It's embarrassing

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #2931 on: October 11, 2016, 07:31:55 AM »

You think its bad here, you should see Villatalk!

I would love someone to answer me this - Why are so many people convinced if Bruce gets us up he will hit his glass ceiling and need replacing?

How many clubs has he been at that have the financial clout, good organisation, fan base, academy and forward planning to be considered a genuine premier league club? Im talking Totenham, Everton, Stoke  etc? I dont think any. Hull and Blues are small clubs that will come and go in the circle of the top division, Sunderland much like us have been badly run for years and are desperately need an overhaul. Much like us over the last 5 years, all of these clubs are one bad season away from going down every year. He is well regarded at blues for giving them the best years in their recent history

I think that at the right club, he could do what Moyes did at Everton or what mark Hughes has done at Stoke. People forget he is only 55, he should by rights be hitting his peak

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #2932 on: October 11, 2016, 07:37:37 AM »
is he?
Yes, he did it with Blues and Hull

and took them down again

And palace but let's get out of the bloody championship before we worry about that

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2933 on: October 11, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »

Oh yes. There's plenty of material for other fans on here. The assumption that managers will be just too tempted by this challenge is one of them.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2934 on: October 11, 2016, 07:46:20 AM »
I'd imagine they'd be enjoying our fans' desperate attempts to outdo each other in the misery and talking the club down stakes.

Many of the posts here could easily be from that lot.com.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2935 on: October 11, 2016, 07:49:54 AM »

You think its bad here, you should see Villatalk!

I would love someone to answer me this - Why are so many people convinced if Bruce gets us up he will hit his glass ceiling and need replacing?

How many clubs has he been at that have the financial clout, good organisation, fan base, academy and forward planning to be considered a genuine premier league club? Im talking Totenham, Everton, Stoke  etc? I dont think any. Hull and Blues are small clubs that will come and go in the circle of the top division, Sunderland much like us have been badly run for years and are desperately need an overhaul. Much like us over the last 5 years, all of these clubs are one bad season away from going down every year. He is well regarded at blues for giving them the best years in their recent history

I think that at the right club, he could do what Moyes did at Everton or what mark Hughes has done at Stoke. People forget he is only 55, he should by rights be hitting his peak

Ah the Krulak defence, I've got ya.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #2936 on: October 11, 2016, 07:58:46 AM »
I'd argue that a club 19th in the Championship should consider themselves lucky to get a manager of Bruce's calibre. I appreciate there are many other variables, but that's where we are now, and he is undisputedly a very successful Championship manager. Get him in and let's see how he does.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2937 on: October 11, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »
I'd imagine they'd be enjoying our fans' desperate attempts to outdo each other in the misery and talking the club down stakes.

Many of the posts here could easily be from that lot.com.

I stumbled across their twitter page last night. You'll never guess which club they re-tweet newspaper articles about?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2938 on: October 11, 2016, 08:03:37 AM »
Do they play in claret and blue, by any chance?

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2939 on: October 11, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »
Acceptance is the first step to recovery.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal