collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:52:50 AM]

Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:43:49 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:52:50 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by sid1964
[Today at 05:47:34 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:43:49 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:59:01 AM]

Re: Season Tickets by Dogtanian
[Today at 02:53:28 AM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245206 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2385 on: October 09, 2016, 08:46:02 AM »
Steve Bruce. Get it done. If and when we get back up, huge IF, then we can start getting all huffy and start thinking about getting in the likes of Ancellotti, Guardiola! (Sarcasm really doesn't work on the internet does it?).

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #2386 on: October 09, 2016, 08:55:15 AM »
I believe now that apart from a few, truly gifted Managers, the role is akin to a lottery pick. There is evidence to suggest that some managers just 'fit' the club they work at and it turns out well. Bruce would not be my choice but I have long given up the ghost of trying to predict whether it will work out or not, I have been wrong too many times in the last few years.
The worse case scenario however is that in choosing his back room staff he goes back to his old mucker Eric Black as assistant- I wonder if the pro Bruceit voters would be quite so keen if that was the case.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2387 on: October 09, 2016, 09:07:07 AM »
I believe now that apart from a few, truly gifted Managers, the role is akin to a lottery pick. There is evidence to suggest that some managers just 'fit' the club they work at and it turns out well. Bruce would not be my choice but I have long given up the ghost of trying to predict whether it will work out or not, I have been wrong too many times in the last few years.
The worse case scenario however is that in choosing his back room staff he goes back to his old mucker Eric Black as assistant- I wonder if the pro Bruceit voters would be quite so keen if that was the case.
I very much doubt he would leave Southampton

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #2388 on: October 09, 2016, 09:17:25 AM »
We've been a mess for years and have sacked our new manager a dozen games in and sitting in 19th

Why on earth anyone thinks we'd have the pick of managers is beyond me. I'd definitely take Dyche or Wagner. Other than that I'd be worried they are criminally insane for coming.

It's  similar to people suggesting we should have got Marcus Rashford in on loan over the summer.

this

That.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #2389 on: October 09, 2016, 09:24:47 AM »
In an ideal world we would not be looking at Bruce but we are about as far from an ideal world as it is possible to be. In which case a man with a track record of getting teams out of this division has to be considered a decent option. I just hope that the conversations he is having with the club are with half an eye on the longer term and how they expect the club to progress. Having Steve Round in place should mitigate against any tendency towards short term thinking.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #2390 on: October 09, 2016, 09:31:16 AM »
Get Rowett off the blues. Good manager- pay the money, fuckem up

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2391 on: October 09, 2016, 09:32:54 AM »
Unbelievably dull and unambitious as it sounds, we need a safe pair of hands with low risk attached and Bruce would fit that mould.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2392 on: October 09, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
In an ideal world we would not be looking at Bruce but we are about as far from an ideal world as it is possible to be. In which case a man with a track record of getting teams out of this division has to be considered a decent option. I just hope that the conversations he is having with the club are with half an eye on the longer term and how they expect the club to progress. Having Steve Round in place should mitigate against any tendency towards short term thinking.

Not only does he have a track record of promotion, he did it last season, meaning he also has a relevant knowledge of most of our opponents players and how they set up.

That could be very useful in itself.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #2393 on: October 09, 2016, 09:51:30 AM »
We've been a mess for years and have sacked our new manager a dozen games in and sitting in 19th

Why on earth anyone thinks we'd have the pick of managers is beyond me. I'd definitely take Dyche or Wagner. Other than that I'd be worried they are criminally insane for coming.

It's  similar to people suggesting we should have got Marcus Rashford in on loan over the summer.

this

That.

and the other

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2394 on: October 09, 2016, 09:55:50 AM »
He's not everyone's first choice obviously but I'm fine with it. The absolute best of luck to the bloke if he comes in.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #2395 on: October 09, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
Unbelievably dull and unambitious as it sounds, we need a safe pair of hands with low risk attached and Bruce would fit that mould.

fuck me, if he's got a safe pair of hands we've solved our goalkeeping question as well, what an inspired appointment.

seriously I'm one Villa fan that thinks its a great appointment

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #2396 on: October 09, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »

fuck me, if he's got a safe pair of hands we've solved our goalkeeping question as well, what an inspired appointment.

seriously I'm one Villa fan that thinks its a great appointment

We need Gordon Stewart - The Safest Hands In Soccer.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2397 on: October 09, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »
Someone's probably already posted this. But can I make a request that anyone posting the following line receive a three month suspension:

"If Steve Bruce is the answer, I don't know what the question is".

It's the heroes and villains equivalent of "its political correctness gone mad" 😡😡😡😡😡😡

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2398 on: October 09, 2016, 10:06:57 AM »
I think some of our problems have been down to our skewed view of ourselves, our stature and our place in the game. Many of us see Villa as a big club with a glorious history, a peerless pedigree, a club with a special aura surrounding it. Fair enough.

But for many years a lot of the football world saw us as boring, unsexy draw merchants who rarely had big name players, and never really did anything of note in football, certainly not in the modern era.

And that was before we turned into Randy Lerner's defeat worshippers, the club that loved failure, that habitually had its arse handed to it by lower league opposition in cups, and spent its time scrabbling around the foot of the table before being soundly walloped in front of an audience of millions at Wembley, and then scooting out the league as one of the most hapless and disgraceful 'teams' that ever got relegated.

Big grounds, nice training facilities, large away followings and impressive honours lists don't win games. But I can't help noticing a sense of entitlement that really doesn't help our cause.

The same entitlement that made many think we would have all the little teams quaking in their boots as we swaggered our way through the Championship, and back to the PL. The same entitlement that regards the likes of Steve Bruce as being below us, somehow. And the same goes for the likes of Allardyce and Pulis last year, both of whom might well have kept us up.

I think that attitude makes other teams think 'Who the fuck do Aston Villa think they are? They haven't won anything in a generation. Let's give 'em a kicking.' And do you know what, we're currently 19th in the Championship because nobody is overawed by Aston Villa, and we're as soft and woolly as a baby's blanket.

A few years ago Ian Holloway called us 'a half arsed club that used to be famous' and we all gave him shit for it. But he was right. More recently he predicted we would struggle in the Championship, and he was right about that too. He actually said we might get relegated. We're 19th and getting worse with every game. Don't think we're too big to go down, because some of us thought that five years ago and look where we are now.

I honestly think it's time to get over ourselves and start rebuilding from the bottom up. Forget the European Cup, and start thinking about winning a match. A single game of football. Then another. We are entitled to nothing unless we work our balls off and fight for it. And it's going to be ugly before it gets pretty. Hence, Steve Bruce.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #2399 on: October 09, 2016, 10:09:02 AM »
Good post that.

Forest will be rightly proud of their history under clough. But it doesn't really mean jack shit in terms of future potential.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal