collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[June 03, 2024, 10:31:44 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by pauliewalnuts
[June 03, 2024, 11:15:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by adrenachrome
[June 03, 2024, 11:14:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245180 times)

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2250 on: October 08, 2016, 07:04:47 PM »
And to add, I couldn't care less about his past. And if we do start winning it will go a long way to debunk the nonsense surrounding TSM1. We didn't care that he had managed them. It was that it was the never ending drippings of shit negative football that was the issue.

And you think Bruce will bring winning attractive football ?

I don't expect champagne football, but Hull ended last season as 4th highest scorers and GD of +34. It wasn't like they drew their way to promotion with a bunch of fist pumping 0-0's

I'l be reminding you and your campaign for Bruce mates in about six months time when we are no further forward and having to pay another twat off for not knowing what's he's doing

il be asking where are all these goals you speak of, where is this guaranteed promotion and the rock solid defence, great organisation whilst the whole thing falls down around our heads and we go again looking for the next pair of dullard safe hands

Anyone wanting Bruce at Villa should hand their heads in shame

Hang their heads in shame? For thinking Bruce might do an ok job? What over the top bollocks.

and the the voice of reason wants Bruce, ok but i'l stick to over the top bollocks thanks

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2251 on: October 08, 2016, 07:05:25 PM »
I accept that Bruce is a possible method to getting out of this, but it's galling that other (smaller) clubs can do it by getting Karanka etc, and we have to do all this again.

Name me a club in world football with such a shit record as us over the last 18 months to two years. Or four or five years. The bigger they are, the harder they fall, as they say, and we're still falling.

We need to achieve a simple thing, called winning a few football matches. One every three weeks would be a start. We can get our progressive, bespectacled, slightly eccentric German manager when we've learned to get the basics right and stopped tumbling down the league like a drunk falling down a railway embankment.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2252 on: October 08, 2016, 07:06:19 PM »
We all get that. I just don't understand why a boring manager is more likely to change that than an exciting manager.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2253 on: October 08, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »
Oh, and Denso.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2254 on: October 08, 2016, 07:07:09 PM »
And to add, I couldn't care less about his past. And if we do start winning it will go a long way to debunk the nonsense surrounding TSM1. We didn't care that he had managed them. It was that it was the never ending drippings of shit negative football that was the issue.

I don't expect champagne football, but Hull ended last season as 4th highest scorers and GD of +34. It wasn't like they drew their way to promotion with a bunch of fist pumping 0-0's

I'l be reminding you and your campaign for Bruce mates in about six months time when we are no further forward and having to pay another twat off for not knowing what's he's doing

il be asking where are all these goals you speak of, where is this guaranteed promotion and the rock solid defence, great organisation whilst the whole thing falls down around our heads and we go again looking for the next pair of dullard safe hands

Anyone wanting Bruce at Villa should hand their heads in shame

Hang their heads in shame? For thinking Bruce might do an ok job? What over the top bollocks.

and the the voice of reason wants Bruce, ok but i'l stick to over the top bollocks thanks

Voice of reason or just a different opinion to you?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2255 on: October 08, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
Jimbo, you're buying into the idea that appointing that guy would be less likely to win games than appointing some plodding jobber, and I just don't understand it.

If your argument is simply that Bruce is the best we can hope for then it's not necessarily something I agree with, but I'd understand it. Your current position, however, is strange.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:08:59 PM by Monty »

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2256 on: October 08, 2016, 07:09:43 PM »
If a club that had won four games in however many matches, last away win over a year ago, spent tens of millions and have a win against Rotherham and are in 19th place in the second division to show for it,  appointed somebody who got Hull City promoted twice and to an FA Cup final (HULL CITY!) whilst having to deal with all sorts of shit from the owners was any club other than Villa there would be people on here saying what a good appointment he was.

We're 19th, we absolutely stank the Premier League out for years before finally being put out of ours and everybody else's misery, there aren't a lot of managers out there who we could choose from. It's 35 years since we were European champions. I made the point aboutHul being 'organised' as to my eyes recent Villa managers have found something so basic beyond their capabilities.

We aren't "any club other than Aston Villa" though.  We are Astom Villa. We are the biggest and richest club to ever (dis)grace this division and should have all kinds of options before appointing someone that, judging by this thread, at least half the fans consider tediously uninspiring.

We are Aston Villa, the club other clubs can't wait to play because they know they'll get something out of it. We are Aston Villa, the club that’s sitting 19th in the Championship. The club that can't buy a win. The club that hasn't won away in over a year. The club that's won four matches in the time it took Barcelona to win four cups. The club that's closed part of its ground because it can't fill it. The club that's the butt of every joke in English football. The club that's synonymous with failure. The club that desperately needs stability before it can hope to become anywhere near great again. That's the club we are after 10 years of Randy Lerner. It won't change overnight.

Agreed.

But why is appointing a so-so manager more likely to change that than appointing a spectacular one?

But that's the thing, isn't it? Maybe we can't get a spectacular manager because of the sorry state we're in? Why should they take a punt on us when there are much healthier clubs out there? They might have another look when we're no longer a byword for disaster.

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #2257 on: October 08, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »

Shit negative football is what Bruce excels in as well. Surely we haven't all forgotten his tiresome style of football in the years since he left the Sty?

whilst we on the other hand have for the past 6 seasons been the reincarnation of brazil in 1970

I'm not sure why people keep feeling the need to remind us of our failings.

We are all well aware that we've been garbage for half a decade.

The debate is on who we appoint to change that.

it needs saying because despite of this a lot of posters scoff at the likes of pulis and bruce because of their style of play.

i would have pulis tomorrow as he would get us up and keep us up comfortably, if that means shit football so be it at least it would be better than playing the likes of burton, rotherham and brentford

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #2258 on: October 08, 2016, 07:10:22 PM »
If a club that had won four games in however many matches, last away win over a year ago, spent tens of millions and have a win against Rotherham and are in 19th place in the second division to show for it,  appointed somebody who got Hull City promoted twice and to an FA Cup final (HULL CITY!) whilst having to deal with all sorts of shit from the owners was any club other than Villa there would be people on here saying what a good appointment he was.

We're 19th, we absolutely stank the Premier League out for years before finally being put out of ours and everybody else's misery, there aren't a lot of managers out there who we could choose from. It's 35 years since we were European champions. I made the point aboutHul being 'organised' as to my eyes recent Villa managers have found something so basic beyond their capabilities.

We aren't "any club other than Aston Villa" though.  We are Astom Villa. We are the biggest and richest club to ever (dis)grace this division and should have all kinds of options before appointing someone that, judging by this thread, at least half the fans consider tediously uninspiring.

Reality check needed - who are these top managers just waiting to move to B6 and where are they hiding? You suggested Mancini and Beisla - we have no chance of attracting these I'm afraid.

I'm no Bruce lover by the way but I'm having to accept he's the best option available. I'd quite like Burnley or Huddersfield's manager personally but realise we can't even attract those in our current predicament. Depressing, but true.

And you keep saying we're the biggest / richest club to ever be relegated. No wonder our fans get accused of arrogance. I think Man U for starters may pip us to that title.

how do you know that is true?

I don't, obviously. I'm going off what I hear in the media, the same as everyone else on here discussing this topic is.

heard nothing from Dyche or anyone else from Burnley as far as I know. We dont even know if he is in the running. As for Huddersfield, their chairman has said that Wagner wont be joining us. May or may not be true but he wouldn't be the first chairman to come out with statements like that and then be proved wrong

Fair enough. However I seriously doubt Dyche would drop a division to come to Villa right now.

Wagner is actually my first choice. And it did cross my mind that that statement from Huddersfield's chairman may have been him getting his retaliation in first. ie get the fans onside so Wagner looks like the bad guy who back-tracked on a promise if he does decide to leave. Probably wishful thinking on my part!

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2025
« Reply #2259 on: October 08, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
John E I've always thought your posts have been informed and thoughtful, but with this and your reaction to Dr Tony's takeover you seem to be going ultra against the new ownership. I understand not being thrilled by Bruce, I just don't understand being militantly against him.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2260 on: October 08, 2016, 07:16:35 PM »
Jimbo, you're buying into the idea that appointing that guy would be less likely to win games than appointing some plodding jobber, and I just don't understand it.

If your argument is simply that Bruce is the best we can hope for then it's not necessarily something I agree with, but I'd understand it. Your current position, however, is strange.

I honestly don't understand the question. All I'm saying is, when your options are limited, and you're in a piss-weak position, sometimes you can't turn your nose up at a solid option.

And nobody has suggested who this progressive manager is, who would be prepared to drop everything and come and manage us starting next week. Bielsa? Wagner? Dyche? Maybe we're just not that attractive a proposition right now? We've been a managerial graveyard for five years. Maybe whoever it is would rather wait until we've stopped being perennially shit?

Online john e

« Reply #2261 on: October 08, 2016, 07:16:53 PM »
That's the thing John. Not one person is advocating Bruce and making a strong case for him. If it was Bruce vs a plethora of other attractive candidates in October you'll find most people choosing one of them. But there just isn't and you're being really quite melodramatic in your opposition to him. In fact not one person is advocating him to the same levels as you are opposing him.

the reason I am opposing him to high levels is because it looks like we are just about to appoint him
I know how those republicans and labour party members felt when Trump and Corbyn stood for election, they thought it was a bit of a joke at first and it would soon pass,
 all of a sudden they realise people are actually wanting them and they are going to get in,
don't panic goes to full panic mode (well in my case)

that's how I feel, its Steve Bruce ffs, the blokes won fuck all ever, dullard football, obnoxious twat and he's going to be the leader

that's what's doing my head in, my only hope is Dr Tony didn't buy the football club invest good money talk a good game about ambition only to end up with Brucey, it just doesn't make any sense

I hope he comes over for the final knockings and when Bruce walks in and gives him his pitch he looks at the other board members who whittled it down to the two stooges and says 'your fucking kidding me arnt you'
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 07:24:00 PM by john e »

Online john e

« Reply #2262 on: October 08, 2016, 07:22:48 PM »
John E I've always thought your posts have been informed and thoughtful, but with this and your reaction to Dr Tony's takeover you seem to be going ultra against the new ownership. I understand not being thrilled by Bruce, I just don't understand being militantly against him.

I just cant stand Bruce mate,
 I cant help it, its not a new thing i've never liked or wanted him

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2263 on: October 08, 2016, 07:27:48 PM »
It will be as uninspiring asTSM1, sadly this is where we are right now.
How many games will it take him to realise that Westwood Hutton  and Bacuna are not the answer?
When do we start the process of rebuilding the playing side of this club?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2264 on: October 08, 2016, 07:28:15 PM »
I can't speak for the rest of the ABB's, but my view is if you think we can get promoted this season, then Bruce is probably the only one with that track record. If on the other hand, you don't really care about promotion immediately but want to see a stabile long term management put in place, then really i'm not sure Bruce is it. We're looking at the wrong time for starters, come January, or even next summer if we're in the Championship, Aston Villa will be a more attractive propostion than the majority of the clubs in the same position. If i was Wagner for instance and they don't go up, next summer with a big transfer  warchest here vs staying put and punching above his clubs weight again. well it would probably appeal and that goes for a lot of them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal