collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets by VillaTim
[Today at 11:59:24 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 11:58:51 AM]

Kits 24/25 by LeeB
[Today at 11:42:06 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Bad English
[Today at 11:18:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 11:08:57 AM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 11:03:58 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245243 times)

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #2220 on: October 08, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »
I like Bruce - there I have said it.
I do too and I think he likes us. He has always been very respectful.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2221 on: October 08, 2016, 06:16:06 PM »
A nothing Manager. Not for me Bill.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2222 on: October 08, 2016, 06:17:36 PM »
Well if you want stability you don't sack a manager after 2 months. Likewise,stability doesn't spring to mind if you're appointing a manager who will get us up, but is deemed too shit to manage us when we get there

You do when you're skittering down the table like a one-legged goat down a mountain. How many more warnings do we need? How many wake up calls? We're plunging ever downwards and we have to stop it. That's the here and now. Worry about what happens in the Premier League if we ever get back there.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2223 on: October 08, 2016, 06:20:19 PM »
Bruce would obviously not be the worst manager in the history of the world, but I'm with OMVF. This is an opportunity to rebuild the club, give it something of a more progressive platform like Swansea or Southampton, put aside the short-term lurching that's got us into this mess - and I'm not totally convinced that Bruce will do anything better than keep the club bobbing along, either in the top half of this division or (absolute best case scenario) the bottom half of the division above.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2224 on: October 08, 2016, 06:22:14 PM »
Well if you want stability you don't sack a manager after 2 months. Likewise,stability doesn't spring to mind if you're appointing a manager who will get us up, but is deemed too shit to manage us when we get there

You do when you're skittering down the table like a one-legged goat down a mountain. How many more warnings do we need? How many wake up calls? We're plunging ever downwards and we have to stop it. That's the here and now. Worry about what happens in the Premier League if we ever get back there.

Hang on, the main Bruce arguement is he WILL get us up this season. Who wants Bruce for any other reason? If someone on here had said, they can see Mr. Pototo head leading us to the top 6 in the next 5 years, then i'd buy into it, but no-one thinks he will. Its the most short-sighted desperation shot even we've attempted if he is appointed

Offline ClaretAndBlueBlood

« Reply #2225 on: October 08, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »
Bruce would obviously not be the worst manager in the history of the world, but I'm with OMVF. This is an opportunity to rebuild the club, give it something of a more progressive platform like Swansea or Southampton, put aside the short-term lurching that's got us into this mess - and I'm not totally convinced that Bruce will do anything better than keep the club bobbing along, either in the top half of this division or (absolute best case scenario) the bottom half of the division above.

x3

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #2226 on: October 08, 2016, 06:25:39 PM »
Derby will probably be looking at Bruce also.

I expect he will be appointed in the next couple of days

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2227 on: October 08, 2016, 06:25:46 PM »
x4

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2228 on: October 08, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »

And when we get to the division above we improve upon the manager that got us there. Right now that seems a very long way away.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #2229 on: October 08, 2016, 06:26:09 PM »
If a club that had won four games in however many matches, last away win over a year ago, spent tens of millions and have a win against Rotherham and are in 19th place in the second division to show for it,  appointed somebody who got Hull City promoted twice and to an FA Cup final (HULL CITY!) whilst having to deal with all sorts of shit from the owners was any club other than Villa there would be people on here saying what a good appointment he was.

We're 19th, we absolutely stank the Premier League out for years before finally being put out of ours and everybody else's misery, there aren't a lot of managers out there who we could choose from. It's 35 years since we were European champions. I made the point aboutHul being 'organised' as to my eyes recent Villa managers have found something so basic beyond their capabilities.

We aren't "any club other than Aston Villa" though.  We are Astom Villa. We are the biggest and richest club to ever (dis)grace this division and should have all kinds of options before appointing someone that, judging by this thread, at least half the fans consider tediously uninspiring.

Reality check needed - who are these top managers just waiting to move to B6 and where are they hiding? You suggested Mancini and Beisla - we have no chance of attracting these I'm afraid.

I'm no Bruce lover by the way but I'm having to accept he's the best option available. I'd quite like Burnley or Huddersfield's manager personally but realise we can't even attract those in our current predicament. Depressing, but true.

And you keep saying we're the biggest / richest club to ever be relegated. No wonder our fans get accused of arrogance. I think Man U for starters may pip us to that title.

how do you know that is true?

I don't, obviously. I'm going off what I hear in the media, the same as everyone else on here discussing this topic is.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2230 on: October 08, 2016, 06:26:27 PM »
Hang on, the main Bruce arguement is he WILL get us up this season.

This is what I don't get.

A quarter of the season has gone. We are 19th, two points off the relegation places.

I don't see - on the basis of the above - how anyone can say "he will get us up" with certainty. We've pissed away a quarter of the season already. Kind of foolhardy to make statements of that certainty, surely?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2231 on: October 08, 2016, 06:26:28 PM »
Derby will probably be looking at Bruce also.

I expect he will be appointed in the next couple of days

Hopefully Derby appoint him. Or one of us stops pissing about and appoints Rowett.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2232 on: October 08, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
Hang on, the main Bruce arguement is he WILL get us up this season.

This is what I don't get.

A quarter of the season has gone. We are 19th, two points off the relegation places.

I don't see - on the basis of the above - how anyone can say "he will get us up" with certainty. We've pissed away a quarter of the season already. Kind of foolhardy to make statements of that certainty, surely?

I don't think anyone at this point guarantees promotion. It's really a question about who gives us the best opportunity to achieve it. I don't know if that is Bruce or not but at least we know he's done it before. There's a lot of work ahead of whoever gets the job.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2233 on: October 08, 2016, 06:28:20 PM »
Bruce is a "current, proper football manager". We haven't had one of those since BFR.

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #2234 on: October 08, 2016, 06:29:27 PM »

Hang on, the main Bruce arguement is he WILL get us up this season. Who wants Bruce for any other reason? If someone on here had said, they can see Mr. Pototo head leading us to the top 6 in the next 5 years, then i'd buy into it, but no-one thinks he will. Its the most short-sighted desperation shot even we've attempted if he is appointed

Not from me it isn't. I said before the end of last season that this one would be a struggle. I don't think for a minute we will go up this season, with or without Steve Bruce. I think there's a much greater likelihood that we'll go down. And look where we are. We're 19th and we're getting worse. If you don't win at least the odd game in this division, you slip out of it. The alarm bell is ringing loud and clear.

And let me make it clear, I'm not saying Steve Bruce is our only option. I won't be overjoyed to have him as our manager. I just don't think we can afford to be so precious, because nice grounds, illustrious histories and puffed up pedigrees do not win football matches. Forget all that. Right now, as things stand, we are not too good for Steve Bruce.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal