collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Kits 24/25 by j66acd
[June 03, 2024, 10:41:45 PM]

Season Tickets by Aldridge Villa
[June 03, 2024, 10:31:44 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[June 03, 2024, 09:27:43 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Londonvilla
[Today at 12:21:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by VillaTim
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:58 PM]

Re: Cubs/Clarets membership by Pat McMahon
[June 03, 2024, 11:59:28 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by eamonn
[June 03, 2024, 11:54:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[June 03, 2024, 11:33:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by Percy McCarthy
[June 03, 2024, 11:26:49 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by pauliewalnuts
[June 03, 2024, 11:15:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by adrenachrome
[June 03, 2024, 11:14:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next Villa manager  (Read 245162 times)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

Re: Next Villa manager
« Reply #750 on: October 03, 2016, 02:35:06 PM »

Chico, I don't want Allardyce, but his record is demonstrably better than Warnock's, and what I've read about his actual management methods is much better too.

Fair enough. Although I was interested in who your preferred realistic choice would be.   

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #751 on: October 03, 2016, 02:37:29 PM »
Right, fine, have it your way. He's been around for 1000 years, has been failing and flailing very visibly for the last five years until finally - finally - he does something right. Now he's going to take a team of talented attackers and make them 'battle'. Because that's the way to get the best out of Ayew, McCormack and Kodjia. Give them some boxing gloves.

Obviously the players need to show more bottle, but that's the absolute bear minimum. RDM's extraordinary failure doesn't make Warnock's absolute basicness any better - it just emphasises how terribly RDM has done.

Chico, I don't want Allardyce, but his record is demonstrably better than Warnock's, and what I've read about his actual management methods is much better too.

Fair enough. Although I was interested in who your preferred realistic choice would be.   

Allardyce is realistic and I would prefer him to Warnock. If he really is the best we can do, or Bruce is the best we can do, then fine - it would be  million miles from perfect, but fine. I'd prefer Wagner or Rowett myself, but they might not want to come.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #752 on: October 03, 2016, 02:38:20 PM »
I prefer Warnock to Allardyce as the former plays uncompromising, direct football but I wouldn't necessarily call it dull. The latter has always played horrific stuff. Plus he's just been sacked for being dodgy. One to avoid imo.

Offline Jimmy Rimmer

« Reply #753 on: October 03, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
I'd like to see Tim Sherwood given a go with this squad, the new owner, some money, and Steve Clarke supporting him.

I blame the directors around him last time for the horror show of players he brought in last summer

He's said he's up for it again

Online Monty

« Reply #754 on: October 03, 2016, 02:40:27 PM »
I'd like to see Tim Sherwood given a go with this squad, the new owner, some money, and Steve Clarke supporting him.

I blame the directors around him last time for the horror show of players he brought in last summer

Ok that's mad.

Offline villadelph

• | UTV | 215 |
  • GM : 20.05.2025
« Reply #755 on: October 03, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »

Stop.

Could you imagine the abuse Dr. Xia would get if that appointment turned sour.. again?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #756 on: October 03, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »

I'd like to see Tim Sherwood tarred and feathered, the spineless xenophobic arsehole.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #757 on: October 03, 2016, 02:41:09 PM »
Bruce would be a very solid apt. Not glamorous but would get results. Results are the priority now. Plus is destined that he will be in charge for our win at the Sty in a few weeks time..... 😙

« Reply #758 on: October 03, 2016, 02:41:15 PM »
Right, fine, have it your way. He's been around for 1000 years, has been failing and flailing very visibly for the last five years until finally - finally - he does something right. Now he's going to take a team of talented attackers and make them 'battle'. Because that's the way to get the best out of Ayew, McCormack and Kodjia. Give them some boxing gloves.

Obviously the players need to show more bottle, but that's the absolute bear minimum. RDM's extraordinary failure doesn't make Warnock's absolute basicness any better - it just emphasises how terribly RDM has done.

Allardyce is realistic and I would prefer him to Warnock. If he really is the best we can do, or Bruce is the best we can do, then fine - it would be  million miles from perfect, but fine. I'd prefer Wagner or Rowett myself, but they might not want to come.

Was the first part of your reply directed at me? a bit OTT if so - I only asked who you thought the manager should be. 

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #759 on: October 03, 2016, 02:41:57 PM »
He wasn't "alright", he was spectacularly succesful. He took a team that looked certain to go down and kept them up with ease.

Again, just denying this because it doesn't suit your argument does you no favours.

He did very well with Rotherham, and has done well at Championship level wherever he has pitched up. I have listened to interviews with him recently and he sounds very much in tune with modern football and well suited to motivating and organising whatever squad he has dumped on him.

I actually quite like the bloke, and don't get the hate around here. Not saying he is the man for managing us long term, but certainly think he would pick a system that would get the most out of the squad, and put out a team where each player knew their role and was fit and motivated.

In the interview I listened to he also spoke about McCormack, and how he found it hard to fit him into a system at Leeds despite being a very good player.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #760 on: October 03, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »
Not sure I agree that we've got one the most talented squads in the division, an assertion that keeps being made. We have a rookie 21 year old keeper who keeps making errors with no credible back up, poor full backs, a lack of strength in depth at CB and a pitifully weak midfield as exemplified by Westwood. That's why we've won once in 12 competitive fixtures.

Online Monty

« Reply #761 on: October 03, 2016, 02:42:49 PM »

Was the first part of your reply directed at me? a bit OTT if so - I only asked who you thought the manager should be. 

No no, it was aimed at CD! I found his reasoning a bit mad. No hard feelings for disagreeing about a football manager, I hope!

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #762 on: October 03, 2016, 02:44:19 PM »

I guess that depends on your definition of demonstrable. According to wiki, their records look pretty similar.

Regardless, I don't think a 'let's just get promoted and worry about what comes next later' approach is one that Dr T will entertain. You don't put the long-term management structure in place as he has and then adopt a short term strategy. I think/hope he will try and find someone who can lead us to the PL and beyond. I am tired of the revolving door and want some continuity.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #763 on: October 03, 2016, 02:44:36 PM »
No hard feelings whatsoever Monty.

The poster that suggested Sherwood, however...

« Reply #764 on: October 03, 2016, 02:45:28 PM »

No no, it was aimed at CD! I found his reasoning a bit mad. No hard feelings for disagreeing about a football manager, I hope!

None at all - it's an important subject. And it would make a very boring site if we all agreed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal