collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jonathan Kodjia - SOLD  (Read 256543 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Jonathan Kodjia - SOLD
« Reply #1770 on: January 20, 2020, 11:36:51 PM »
DS not pulling his punches:

https://twitter.com/villareport/status/1219387687691542528
villareport
@villareport
Dean Smith: “Why was Kodjia sold? Because he wasn't up to the standard, in my opinion. He hadn't got to the level of fitness that, for me, was required for the Premier League. That's the minimum standard to play Premier League football.” [birmingham live] #avfc

I must say that's pretty fucking ironic coming from a man who insists on playing a clearly unfit and out of his depth Danny Drinkwater in order to, eventually, at some point, maybe, get him match fit for another club.

Read the whole story.

I did.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1771 on: January 20, 2020, 11:37:29 PM »
The safest option, saying nothing, is not generally available so the next safest is saying fitness issue.
Kodjia was up to premier league standard ability wise and skill level fine.

Good bye and good luck to him.
Quality player

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1772 on: January 20, 2020, 11:38:01 PM »

villareport
@villareport
Dean Smith: “Why was Kodjia sold? Because he wasn't up to the standard, in my opinion. He hadn't got to the level of fitness that, for me, was required for the Premier League. That's the minimum standard to play Premier League football.” [birmingham live] #avfc

I must say that's pretty fucking ironic coming from a man who insists on playing a clearly unfit and out of his depth Danny Drinkwater in order to, eventually, at some point, maybe, get him match fit for another club.

Read the whole story.

I did.

And still chose to use the sensationalist, click-baiting bit of it.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1773 on: January 20, 2020, 11:49:35 PM »

villareport
@villareport

Deano showing his naivety there. There are others like Lansbury who that charge could easily be thrown at too.

Not disagreeing on him regarding Kodjia, mind. Should have let him go in the summer, was clear he was barely up to championship standard for a finish (not the only one..). Making him backup striker to a completely unproven Wesley was a dreadful decision and one that has us currently playing without a striker for the most critical games of the season.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1774 on: January 21, 2020, 08:14:14 AM »

villareport
@villareport

Read the whole story.

I did.

He said the words. It's not exactly a tabloid spin, is it, those are direct quotes. They're within context also, they haven't been misconstrued in abstraction. He's come out with a load of nonsense that's plainly incongruous with not just one, but a number of decisions he has made in the recent past.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #1775 on: January 21, 2020, 08:33:24 AM »
Kodja was an undisciplined maverick who played for himself. You can tell he was unreachable. He could not defend and left us exposed at set pieces. Was it the Liverpool goals that he had a hand in which cost us the game?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1776 on: January 21, 2020, 08:44:08 AM »
Kodja was an undisciplined maverick who played for himself. You can tell he was unreachable. He could not defend and left us exposed at set pieces. Was it the Liverpool goals that he had a hand in which cost us the game?

He let Mane go for the winner.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1777 on: January 21, 2020, 08:52:21 AM »
Maybe some of our defenders could have kept an eye on their most dangerous player.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1778 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:15 AM »
Whatever DS has said or implied is all the more reason why we should have gone with an extra striker in the summer especially if Kodjia was 1 of the 3 inexperienced PL strikers Deano; Suso and Purslow were hanging their hats on. I hope also DS is not using a "distraction" ahead of another big game without a playable striker despite it being 21st Jan to take the focus away from certain other individuals within the club. It's not as though DS is saying or implying anything new after all.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1779 on: January 21, 2020, 09:44:11 AM »

villareport
@villareport

I guess it's all about opinion. But Drinkwater has won the league, as an integral part of his team. That doesn't happen by accident.

As far as getting him match fit, it's clear, reading between the lines, that Kodjia just didn't work hard enough to be ready. I'd guess that Drinkwater is working hard and his current fitness levels would be monitored. It's not getting him fit for another club, it's getting him fit for our run in.

Given that our midfield, without McGinn especially, has looked light, then someone like Drinkwater should do well.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1780 on: January 21, 2020, 09:47:15 AM »

villareport
@villareport

Read the whole story.

I did.

He said the words. It's not exactly a tabloid spin, is it, those are direct quotes. They're within context also, they haven't been misconstrued in abstraction. He's come out with a load of nonsense that's plainly incongruous with not just one, but a number of decisions he has made in the recent past.

He also said a lot more words that put a different light on the subject but which you ignored.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1781 on: January 21, 2020, 09:51:15 AM »

villareport
@villareport

Read the whole story.

I did.

He also said a lot more words that put a different light on the subject but which you ignored.

yes he also said he got injured and didn't get enough game time which would be an indication of why he couldn't get him up to premiership fitness

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #1782 on: January 21, 2020, 09:55:44 AM »
He was injured, taken ill and then wanted to leave when the opportunity arose. But thst doesn't fit the narrative.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1783 on: January 21, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »
Maybe some of our defenders could have kept an eye on their most dangerous player.

It was more his pathetic attempt to defend the near post from the corner. That, plus his half hearted effort for the seven or so minutes he was on the pitch, was pretty shameful.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1784 on: January 21, 2020, 10:11:29 AM »
I'd have thought that Kodjia would have done everything he possibly could to get up to the required standard to play in the best league in the world.

But he was behind Abraham last season in the second tier, and below Wesley this. I guess it might have got him down a bit and then he wasn't as motivated as he could have been. You could argue the coaches could have done more I suppose, but as a player you shouldn't need it.

That he wanted to go to Qatar, when he could have gone to Forest shows to me that he would rather be a big fish in a small pond and that says everything, the best players in the world don't have that attitude, they know they have to earn it. (see Ronaldo C. Staying and practicing longer than anyone as an example).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal