collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jonathan Kodjia - SOLD  (Read 258517 times)

Offline Tugby Villain

• Villa through thick and thin!!!
Re: Jonathan Kodjia - CONFIRMED
« Reply #1260 on: August 12, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »
In the system we want to play - with McGinn and Grealish providing through balls - we need a striker with pace who makes runs.  Kodjia doesn't do that, so he needs dropping.  Hepburn-Murphy would be a much better fit.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #1261 on: August 12, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
In the system we want to play - with McGinn and Grealish providing through balls - we need a striker with pace who makes runs.  Kodjia doesn't do that, so he needs dropping.  Hepburn-Murphy would be a much better fit.

and a certain Scot Hogan.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1262 on: August 12, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »

Pace?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1263 on: August 12, 2018, 02:57:53 PM »
I'd give him a bit longer than two games into a new season, especially now he's had a pre-season behind him.

That's the worry though for me.  He had the back end of last season, about a dozen games from the end of March onwards, has had a full pre-season, but looks absolutely no better than he did on his first match back.  He's contributed next to nothing in either of the first two matches, and doesn't even look particularly interested in my opinion.  Big worry, as sooner or later the goals from defence and midfield will dry up when we play somebody decent.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #1264 on: August 12, 2018, 07:10:00 PM »
From the highlights I thought he actually looked more involved than at hull

Could have had a hat trick but for some poor finishing and a bit of bad luck - and one thing we know he can do is finish so that should come

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1265 on: August 12, 2018, 07:20:28 PM »
I'd give him a bit longer than two games into a new season, especially now he's had a pre-season behind him.

That's the worry though for me.  He had the back end of last season, about a dozen games from the end of March onwards, has had a full pre-season, but looks absolutely no better than he did on his first match back.  He's contributed next to nothing in either of the first two matches, and doesn't even look particularly interested in my opinion.  Big worry, as sooner or later the goals from defence and midfield will dry up when we play somebody decent.

You give him as long as he needs if the alternative is Scott Hogan.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1266 on: August 12, 2018, 07:38:15 PM »
He looked a bit more like it, yesterday. Still a way off his best and we need another forward to compete. The thought of having to rely on Hogan if Kodjia fails to rediscover his form or gets injured doesn't fill me with confidence.

Online nigel

« Reply #1267 on: August 12, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
Given the right service Hogan will score the goals we need and I think we've the players to deliver this season

I think we can all agree that the service he was getting last season was pretty poor, to say the least

Offline Risso

« Reply #1268 on: August 12, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »
Given the right service Hogan will score the goals we need and I think we've the players to deliver this season

I think we can all agree that the service he was getting last season was pretty poor, to say the least

Nope, I don't agree at all.  In Adomah, Snoddgrass and Grealish we had three very creative players.  He's just a poor player who thinks it's OK to stand in the penalty area and wait for the ball on a plate for him.  As it is, the goals he did score came from crosses from either Adomah or Snodgrass.  A player who averages the appalling number of touches he did last year just isn't very good.

Online nigel

« Reply #1269 on: August 12, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »

Nope, I don't agree at all.  In Adomah, Snoddgrass and Grealish we had three very creative players.  He's just a poor player who thinks it's OK to stand in the penalty area and wait for the ball on a plate for him.  As it is, the goals he did score came from crosses from either Adomah or Snodgrass.  A player who averages the appalling number of touches he did last year just isn't very good.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Hogan.
I think he needs a proper run of games, 28 appearances (22 as a sub) is hardly game time. Bruce's hoofball (at times) wouldn't have helped either.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1270 on: August 12, 2018, 10:12:21 PM »
Lewis Grabban seemed to manage OK.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #1271 on: August 12, 2018, 10:43:55 PM »
I think we need to give JK a bit longer before retiring him.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1272 on: August 13, 2018, 12:40:15 AM »
If the main alternative to Kodjia is crossing our fingers that Hogan will suddenly start to click despite there being no evidence that we've changed the way we play then I'll back JK all the way.  Change the manager and focus on getting players higher up the pitch and taking less touches to move the ball on and Hogan might be worth another look but whilst we have all our creative players slowing things down (and cutting inside) we're not going to create enough chances for him.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1273 on: August 13, 2018, 12:40:41 AM »
Sadly I agree. The old Kodjia would have scored twice yesterday.

At least he got into the position to score. Butchered both chances mind. The header was a sitter. Bit unlucky with the one he turned on with his left.

Given that Davis and Hogan are injured, he will get another chance v Yeovil. 1 goal in his last 21 appearances isn't quite Shane Long territory but..

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #1274 on: August 13, 2018, 01:28:46 AM »

Pace?

He has an effective burst of pace over short distances. Not a lot of use if you pumping long balls up him.

On the general question of pace, I remember a TV interview a few years ago with Alan Hutton which suggested that he was the fastest player at the club over 100 yards according to whatever metrics they we were using at the time, and he laughed it off saying "Nah, that's Gabby".

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal