collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bristol City v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 31260 times)

Offline pelty

Re: Bristol City v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #270 on: August 29, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »
It is hard to know what to do about those sort of comments. I think pauliewalnuts just about has the measure of it.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #271 on: August 29, 2016, 02:44:58 PM »
It is hard to know what to do about those sort of comments. I think pauliewalnuts just about has the measure of it.

From your position (ie: with a foot in the camp of the previous owners), what do you make of the work of the new owners so far?

I'm not digging at you, just genuinely curious.

Offline pelty

« Reply #272 on: August 29, 2016, 05:03:58 PM »
I like what I have seen so far, but like the rest, would hope to see another striker and creative midfielder. To be honest, I was concerned about the keeper because of his youth and nothing has changed my mind. Also agree that Guzan was not the answer; his confidence was shot and he was a shadow of the keeper he had been when he kept us up almost singlehandedly for a year or so. Hoping we can get a couple more in here over the next day or so!

Online LukeJames

« Reply #273 on: August 29, 2016, 05:06:47 PM »
Also agree that Guzan was not the answer; his confidence was shot and he was a shadow of the keeper he had been when he kept us up almost singlehandedly for a year or so

You spelt Benteke wrong.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #274 on: August 29, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Also agree that Guzan was not the answer; his confidence was shot and he was a shadow of the keeper he had been when he kept us up almost singlehandedly for a year or so

You spelt Benteke wrong.

Guzan too, to a lesser extent.  He was brilliant for about 12 months.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #275 on: August 29, 2016, 06:57:25 PM »
From the games I have seen so far, we look far too open in midfield and when the pressure comes on, we struggle to resist it.  I think we need to have a look at changing the formation and going to a three man midfield.  The only issue with that is we don't currently have the personnel to play that way.  Jedinak and Westwood would compete for the holding position, but then we've only really got Tshibola who can play a bit further forward.  I'd look at bringing in another more advanced midfielder and then playing Grealish or Ayew behind McCormack and hopefully a new striker.

I agree. Though as you say we don't really have the personnel for the three man midfield.  Cleverley and Delph were tailor made for it, playing either side of a sitter and getting up and down. Tish can maybe do that. Otherwise you're looking at bacuna, or asking Westwood to do it

We'd also be very narrow with a front three featuring grealish and McCormack plus a no 9

So I think we'll stick w 4411 for a while yet. Maybe the energy of Tish and the experience of Jedi is the right combo. But it does mean we're less able to get the ball quickly into the forwards in dangerous positions the way Westwood can. I know people think he doesn't do that. But he does. Not brilliantly - but better than any of our other options do

Some good points Matt, but I do think we have been overrun in midfield at times in pretty much most games this season so far. 

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #276 on: August 29, 2016, 07:51:35 PM »
Oh I agree. We've basically got four forwards on the pitch which leaves us overrun when the flow is with the opposition - especially as Westwood isn't physical at all.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #277 on: August 29, 2016, 07:59:40 PM »
Oh I agree. We've basically got four forwards on the pitch which leaves us overrun when the flow is with the opposition - especially as Westwood isn't physical at all.

I agree with your point about balance in midfield.  The only real times the midfield has looked anywhere near functional in the last five years were the short period at the end of Lambert's first season (Westwood - Sylla - Delph) and for a few games under Sherwood (Westwood - Cleverley - Delph).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal