collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by villadelph
[Today at 03:27:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 03:26:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by JUAN PABLO

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 03:26:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Monty
[Today at 03:26:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 03:26:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 03:26:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bristol City v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 31277 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Bristol City v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2016, 09:47:17 AM »
Anyone else think Jedinak had a stinker on his debut? I know we all have bad days.
i guess there was a reason he could not get in the Palace team.

Apart from when he played in their first game of the season you mean.
yes Clappy

Thanks Chicago Loon.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #241 on: August 28, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
 :)
Anyone else think Jedinak had a stinker on his debut? I know we all have bad days.
i guess there was a reason he could not get in the Palace team.
:)
Apart from when he played in their first game of the season you mean.
yes Clappy

Thanks Chicago Loon.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
Cut it out please.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #243 on: August 28, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »
I tend to agree that ayew plus McCormack plus jack may not fit. They all want to play the same position

I can't comment on Jedinak as j didn't see yday and I've rarely seen him play before. Although I do remember thinking he gave the ball away a lot when I did. But I'll defer to those who've seen more of him

Gollini for the first goal was shocking. I'm concerned because unlike the kicking errors that does seem to be a genuine technical flaw in his game. I've seen it a lot in only a short time.

Ayew - don't know. Wouldn't be averse to cashing in if we could get a proper right sided midfielder in. But we're so short of options we need both I think.

Overall it's obvious that our main problem is the ability to withstand a team really throwing it at us. It's probably mental as much as tactical

Offline Clampy

« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2016, 09:57:39 AM »
I try not to comment on players after one game because it's a bit unfair but whilst i'm not picking on the player personally, I did wonder before we brought De Laet if we actually needed a new right back. Bacuna was doing fine there and other than the goalkeeping errors, we wasn't conceding. Hutton would have been an adequate back up for this league in any case.

We just need to learn to kill teams off. The confidence will grow like it did during the Rotherham game and then we should be fine.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »
Jedinak did a lot of good things in the first half - Kevin Richardson esq if you like.

Unfortunately after half time he was washed away with the tidal wave of shit that we often see in the second half. He almost became Vinny Jones.

First game, hopefully many more good ones to come.

Online dorsetvillian

« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
So much the better team first half. Its criminal that we didn't go on and win the game. Finishing teams off with the 3 clear one on one other chances and we would all be happy.

I'm not sure more players are needed, but more importantly a sports shrink. Its simply a lack of confidence and belief when we let a goal in. The whole team (including the new captains!) just crumble. That's a lot harder, if not impossible to coach, which has me more worried than the lack of a new center forward. I'm just waiting for that one moment when the season turns and confidence returns. When and how I'm not sure?

I was also very disappointed that so many Villa fans simply started to leave at 2-1 and 3-1. They gave up just like the team!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2016, 10:44:03 AM »
I was also very disappointed with Jedi. His passing was terrible

When he kept it simple it was fine. Then he'd belt one aimlessly for no reason to nobody in particular. Still playing Pardew long ball in his head.

Won everything in the air mind.

Offline frank

• GM : 29.01.2025
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2016, 11:20:27 AM »
I agree with Ads about Jedinak. After talking to a Palace friend I'd expected him to dominate, and he didn't. He did win the ball a lot, especially in the air, but usually settled for the short, unambitious pass. And he faded in the second half. By no means a poor debut, but not very impressive either.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #249 on: August 28, 2016, 11:49:54 AM »
From the games I have seen so far, we look far too open in midfield and when the pressure comes on, we struggle to resist it.  I think we need to have a look at changing the formation and going to a three man midfield.  The only issue with that is we don't currently have the personnel to play that way.  Jedinak and Westwood would compete for the holding position, but then we've only really got Tshibola who can play a bit further forward.  I'd look at bringing in another more advanced midfielder and then playing Grealish or Ayew behind McCormack and hopefully a new striker.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »
Yes, and if you consider the seven meaningful games we have played - Boro, Wednesday, Luton, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Derby and Bristol City that represents 12-13% of the games we will play all season depending on the FA Cup and play offs.  That is a good chunk of games to assess what we are getting right and what we are getting wrong.

That's it. People excused Boro capitulation for one thing or other but since then Luton, Huddersfield and yesterday it has happened again and I see no signs of correction. We lack resolve and determination to deal with adversity and other teams know about it. My view is that we have to get rid of last seasons crumblers such as Westwood, Bacuna, Ayew.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2016, 12:51:49 PM »
Yes, and if you consider the seven meaningful games we have played - Boro, Wednesday, Luton, Rotherham, Huddersfield, Derby and Bristol City that represents 12-13% of the games we will play all season depending on the FA Cup and play offs.  That is a good chunk of games to assess what we are getting right and what we are getting wrong.

That's it. People excused Boro capitulation for one thing or other but since then Luton, Huddersfield and yesterday it has happened again and I see no signs of correction. We lack resolve and determination to deal with adversity and other teams know about it. My view is that we have to get rid of last seasons crumblers such as Westwood, Bacuna, Ayew.

Amen to that, Olaf. Unfortunately I don't see them doing an offski anytime soon, which is surprising - given Bacuna's burning Champions League ambitions...  :o

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2016, 01:01:43 PM »
From the games I have seen so far, we look far too open in midfield and when the pressure comes on, we struggle to resist it.  I think we need to have a look at changing the formation and going to a three man midfield.  The only issue with that is we don't currently have the personnel to play that way.  Jedinak and Westwood would compete for the holding position, but then we've only really got Tshibola who can play a bit further forward.  I'd look at bringing in another more advanced midfielder and then playing Grealish or Ayew behind McCormack and hopefully a new striker.

I agree. Though as you say we don't really have the personnel for the three man midfield.  Cleverley and Delph were tailor made for it, playing either side of a sitter and getting up and down. Tish can maybe do that. Otherwise you're looking at bacuna, or asking Westwood to do it

We'd also be very narrow with a front three featuring grealish and McCormack plus a no 9

So I think we'll stick w 4411 for a while yet. Maybe the energy of Tish and the experience of Jedi is the right combo. But it does mean we're less able to get the ball quickly into the forwards in dangerous positions the way Westwood can. I know people think he doesn't do that. But he does. Not brilliantly - but better than any of our other options do

Offline Kingthing

« Reply #253 on: August 28, 2016, 01:30:52 PM »
Did anyone else have a close encounter with 20 odd Welsh lads after the game?

Online supertom

« Reply #254 on: August 28, 2016, 02:27:25 PM »
One game is a bit early to start judging Jedinak and De Laet. Jedi has only had a week or so training with us and RDL even less.
I've been trying to back Westwood but he just keeps going missing when we begin losing grip on a game. When we're on top hes fine. He's been playing top flight football for four years. He's got to be better when we need to keep momentum. He's got to be more influential and consistent. Otherwise he can bugger off in January.

Pleasing things for me about the last few games has been that when we've dominated, we've looked a class above. But if you don't get the second, with Villa it starts chipping away at us. Our foot slips off the peddle big time. Cut out the silly errors. Work on some kind of gameplan to counter those moments when the opposition begin having a spell of possession. We don't have that yet and RDM needs to sort that quickly.

We've got a lot of quality in the side but if we can't grind out results, we'll be in no mans land. We can't play Rotherham every week. You have to win ugly sometimes.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal