collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bristol City v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 31251 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Bristol City v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: August 27, 2016, 08:40:39 PM »
Ironic that the one player we were keenest to keep, Jordan Ayew, is now probably the most dispensable.

To be fair nearly everyone on here said he was one of our best v Derby.

He needs dealing with alright, looks as if he has a bit of a sulk on which shouldnt be tolerated and seeps through the side

McCormack's conditioning is appalling too, maybe he could get away with it at Leeds, Cardiff and Fulham but he certainly wont at AVFC

On the goals, Gollini's parry was no where near good enough for the first, Elphick to me looked at fault for the second although our holding midfielder seemed MIA too

Third, hard to tell from the replay if Gollini should have got across

Seven yellow cards yet another pitiful surrender, says it all about showing steel when it counts

Its worrying with the change in personnel on and off the pitch that we are still gutless as ever as a team

Bristol City like Luton probably said to themselves, get one back and this lot will crumble

Our budget v theirs must be akin to Man City v Burnley

and this is after all the bad eggs have been got rid of

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
1 min 40 He doesn't seem confident about new signings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37207045

He just didn't want to talk about it, that's all. I'd be flabbergasted if we weren't to sign anymore players but I doubt if that's gonna happen. I'm sure they've got a few transfers up their sleeve.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2016, 08:43:30 PM »
Five games in and we have looked good for an awful lot of those 5 games. A lot of new players, new management team and new owner will all take time to settle,  understand and build a team. After a defeat like today it's is easy to get very downhearted but we won't turn round 5 years of a losing mentality in 5 or 6 games over 3 weeks. We need to have patience, as hard as it is,  and let the team develop.

The teams that have started well are teams that the vast majority played together last season. It doesn't mean the same teams will finish as strongly, and it doesn't mean we won't learn how to close games out.

makes sense

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #183 on: August 27, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »
Keeper is useless. Makes Guzan look like Schmeichel...

Oh I don't know about that. Guzan turned goalkeeping errors into a fine art form. Long way to go for Gollini to ever be as bad.

Offline Fin Feds Dad

• GM : 09.08.2016
« Reply #184 on: August 27, 2016, 08:50:28 PM »
Ayew can go as far as I'm concerned. Whatever we can get for him - I'd take a goldfish and a balloon. He simply doesn't give a flying fuck.

Spot on Des - he's a sulky fucker. His attitude stinks.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #185 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:25 PM »
With all the changes, team spirit takes even longer to build than collectiveness in the play. Added to this, a couple of injuries have disrupted the team. It is going to take time and perhaps a couple of lesser quality players with willingness to graft might be the answer.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #186 on: August 27, 2016, 09:11:45 PM »
In sure that today will actually want we're more likely to sign some players.
Agree on Ayew - if he wants to sulk and offer fuck all then can do one. I'm way passed players not giving a shit for us. Seems he may have a higher opinion of himself than others do. After all, 0 goals in 5 games for an attacker isn't exactly going to set the bar

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
Ayew's body language was the same against Sheffield Wednesday -when he was one of the best players on the pitch.  Ditto Derby last week.  That's just how he is.

That said, I have felt since the Valencia link that he might be on the way out.  I couldn't see that pair playing in the same side.

Offline supertom

« Reply #188 on: August 27, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
We're between a rock and hard place. We needed to sweep out almost the entire squad. We needed a whole new team. That's the only way to get out of that rut and scrub out that losing mentality.
Trouble is integrating a whole new side takes time. The back line is made up of almost entirely new players now. Even Amavi is essentially coming in new because he's barely played for us. In this situation you need to hit the ground running but that's very hard.

It's going to take 2-3 months for this new side to gel. Do we really have the benefit of time? Sadly not so we need some luck too, and we need to grind out results and more importantly, make the most of our moments of dominance. We've not done that, had we done so we'd have beaten Derby and Huddersfield and probably Bristol City. We go 2 up today and it's game over.

We need a win very quickly. We're a million miles from going on a winning run. No fucking chance yet, but what we don't want to do is go on a losing run. 4-5-6. We'd be destroyed. We'd have a whole new team that needs decimating and binning because they'll have been infected with the rot festering over the club.

For me, right now, I'd take a mid-table finishing. I'm pleased we're making good signings. They'll take us a long way toward our rebuilding but stabilisation is important. Regain our balance so we can halt the slide and then start looking up. Given how atrocious we were last season, a mid-table finish would be decent.

We do still need another central midfielder. We're an option short. We've not got a playmaker or decent passer. We need another wide option and we definitely need a front man. I don't like the idea of going into the season with just Gollini, Bunn and Steer either. We need an experienced option to compete with Gollini. Bunn is poor and despite his age isn't loaded with experience. 90 games in league one was the extent of him being a first teamer, aside from about 30 champ games and about 20 godawful games for us last season. He's in the Stuart Taylor mould. The perennial back up. To be honest I'd rather we still had Given at the club. Solid pro, been there done that. Granted he's well past his best but he was apparently Stoke's MOTM today. I don't know who else is out there but we need another option. If it's too soon for Gollini we're in trouble. Is Schwarzer just a bit too old now? One year?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #189 on: August 27, 2016, 09:33:09 PM »
The most disappointing thing for me is that we've had absolutely nothing to offer in reply whenever we've conceded a goal this season.
We're also giving away a lot of free kicks around our own box in the last half hour with tired looking attempts at tackles.
Both of these things suggest to me we're lacking in fitness.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #190 on: August 27, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »
Only saw it very quickly on The Championship on Channel 5 but I don't think Gollini's save/spill was anywhere near as bad as his previous two. I'm not sure I would slaughter him for that one.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #191 on: August 27, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »
For me, right now, I'd take a mid-table finishing. I'm pleased we're making good signings. They'll take us a long way toward our rebuilding but stabilisation is important. Regain our balance so we can halt the slide and then start looking up. Given how atrocious we were last season, a mid-table finish would be decent. 

I wouldn't.  Mid table in the championship is nowhere for a club like Villa to be happy.  There are no teams in this league that would be anything other than cannon fodder in a league we've been mainstays in (and often at the top end of) for the last 20 odd years.  New owner, loads of new players, new manager.  No more excuses.  Promotion is the only thing I'll be happy with.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 09:50:03 PM by Rigadon »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #192 on: August 27, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
Our inability to take our chances is putting unnecessary pressure on our defence and goalkeeper who are all getting to know each other. Throw in that we are not exactly the most confident bunch and it all goes to shit pretty quickly.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #193 on: August 27, 2016, 10:06:25 PM »
Just watched the "highlights". GK to fully blame for their equaliser. My Nan could've held onto that, and she's been dead for about 10 years.

Centrebacks ripped apart for second. Poor defending.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #194 on: August 27, 2016, 10:07:33 PM »
Only saw it very quickly on The Championship on Channel 5 but I don't think Gollini's save/spill was anywhere near as bad as his previous two. I'm not sure I would slaughter him for that one.

I thought the kick out that was deflected was unlucky, today was poor goalkeeping.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal