collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by Ads
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Lastfootstamper

Other Games - 2023/24 by Ads
[Today at 10:11:47 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Ads
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Ads
[Today at 10:04:48 AM]

Ollie Watkins by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:42:08 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by Ads

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Lastfootstamper

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:12:57 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Baldy
[Today at 10:11:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Ads
[Today at 10:11:47 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Drummond
[Today at 10:11:23 AM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Ads
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:10:05 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Football League Cup - Luton (A)  (Read 13116 times)

Offline Lambert and Payne

• GM : Sep, 2012
Re: Football League Cup
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 07:13:16 PM »
I've been there twice in recent years, both with Cheltenham. Last time I went I got half way down the road when I heard a commotion, turns out a dad of two was trying to kick off with some Cheltenham fans looking to get on the official coaches. The other time I went there 10-15 of them tried kicking off with a group of really young fans again just looking too get on the coaches home.

The turnstile consists of 2 people for the whole away end, then you have to walk up steps hanging over somebody's garden too get into the away end. The seats are really, really tight so leg room is very limited. The stewards are over the top, those garden shed/executive boxes are still there and if nothings changed then its unreserved seating. It really is one of the worst places too go, but worth the experience and I believe their looking for a new ground. We will get a maximum of 1800 tickets, 1,000 if they're feeling stingy.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 08:05:43 PM »
Does it still have that strange clock in the corner?

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
Went there for the pre-season game a few seasons ago...weird ground amongst terraced houses.

Correct L and P - if you look to the side as you go up those steps you can see into someone's kitchen!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 08:17:39 PM »
When we got relegated last time we beat Spurs at home in the League Cup 2-1 and the papers were referring to it as a shock. I seem to remember Mark Lillis being involved in a scrambled winner.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 08:18:18 PM »
Ah yes, the days of beating the "away fan ban". We always found home fans to be very helpful in getting us tickets.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 08:22:32 PM »
Does it still have that strange clock in the corner?

Misread that as "cock" and assumed you were on about David Evans.

Offline HertsVilla

• I say telescopic dampers, I mean rigid stays...
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 08:35:44 PM »
Luton is an absolute hole and showcases the very worst aspects of modern Britain. Still, I'm looking forward to making the short trip over from Hitchin, Hertfordshire.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 08:37:59 PM »
When we got relegated last time we beat Spurs at home in the League Cup 2-1 and the papers were referring to it as a shock. I seem to remember Mark Lillis being involved in a scrambled winner.

Lillis was involved, but Aspinall got final touch. The headline in the Mail next day was 'Villa - The Giant Awakes!"

Offline Gregorys Boy

« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 03:27:30 AM »
I was a steward at Morecambe for awhile and they hosted Luton at least once during my time there, and did their fans not impress me.  They were thugs, and unlikeable too. 

As for the match if it was at home then I'd say it would be fairly routine (or as routine as it can be with Villa) but away it will be much tougher and could get ugly off the pitch sadly.  Should get through, but would have liked pretty much anyone else.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »
What will boil my piss is if we beat someone like Watford and the media declare it a 'shock' or 'giant killing'

How are the Mighty fallen...

In a similar vein, I looked at our preseason and was quite surprised we'd picked Middlesborough for our final home preseason match as we normally choose someone good to get us match fit.

I then realised that Middlesborough are a division above us and a little part of me died!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 01:02:34 PM »
The only time I have been to Luton was when Bosnich made his debut near the end of BFR's first season. We lost 2-0 and the ground was terrible. I'm sure we went in via someones back garden.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
The only time I have been to Luton was when Bosnich made his debut near the end of BFR's first season. We lost 2-0 and the ground was terrible. I'm sure we went in via someones back garden.

Yeah I was there, exec boxes all down one side. A charming place.

Offline Pat McMahon

Re: Football League Cup - Luton (A)
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2016, 02:33:57 PM »
Never seen us win there, horrible place.

I went there as a kid and vaguely remember Gary Shaw scoring an absolute pearler. I'm sure he flicked it up once or twice and volleyed it in.

I was at that game and it was a cracking goal. We lost 2-1, to a Paul Walsh winner IIRC. I recall the away end was open and they were lobbing stones / bricks into us after the final whistle.

A mate of mine lived there for 3 years a decade ago and it is a rough town. Lots of small minded people with a strong racist minority too.

Offline castlefields_villan

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2016, 02:45:57 PM »

I went there as a kid and vaguely remember Gary Shaw scoring an absolute pearler. I'm sure he flicked it up once or twice and volleyed it in.

I was at that game and it was a cracking goal. We lost 2-1, to a Paul Walsh winner IIRC. I recall the away end was open and they were lobbing stones / bricks into us after the final whistle.

A mate of mine lived there for 3 years a decade ago and it is a rough town. Lots of small minded people with a strong racist minority too.

Was that the 1982-83 season ?  If so, I was there as well, my one and only visit to Kenilworth Road.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2016, 02:52:55 PM »

Was that the 1982-83 season ?  If so, I was there as well, my one and only visit to Kenilworth Road.

Yes it was  - around April time, as it was a sunny day. My only visit too.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal