collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Hotel  (Read 30329 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Aston Hotel
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2020, 02:18:36 PM »
Is this the Barn working mens social club you're talking about, situated beside the canal on Brookvale Road?  Has that gone? How long ago did that happen and, have they relocated elsewhere?  I never heard about it if so.
no mate it's now called the marigold, well preserved and looks  Good. They offer parking facilities on match day for 5.00 but won't offer a bar and they easily could.
They could, but if they're aiming at the Muslim auidence they won't.
Since it's conversion it's main income source is weddings and other wedding related events mostly but not entirely aimed at muslim population. So it does not have bar facilities however alcohol is table served  on any specific events where it's required. They were doing very good business with bookings at over 80% all year round but pandemic has had a huge impact on that.

Offline Dharmendra Actor

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2020, 08:13:46 PM »
The Safe harbour pub  Moore lane has gone to for housing, moor lane is the road opposite to where the Barn social was.

If marigold offers tabled alchol may the could do cold beers to the table for villa fans on match day,  as supporters are using the venue for parking anyway.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Also known as the Gravediggers Arms, shame but Im only surprised it didnt go years ago.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2020, 08:51:03 PM »
There are a row of cottages that run alongside the 'diggers and I have been lead to believe that my paternal grandfather was born in one of them, possibly the end one furthest away from the pub.  I'm still trying to find out the varacity of this.  Interesting if true.

Offline zulu_hunter

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »
The Farcroft pub on Rookery road handsworth has been sold and is to be turned in to a mosque. Its believed to have been brought by the Kurdish community.

Another historical boozer gone. This was also a hotel in the early 1900s.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2021, 01:43:42 PM »
Hello again.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2021, 02:19:52 PM »
William is back, William is back, hello.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2021, 03:23:26 PM »
The Safe harbour pub  Moore lane has gone to for housing, moor lane is the road opposite to where the Barn social was.

Safe Harbour aka Diggers is currently being refurbished and is reopening in May/June.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2021, 04:32:46 PM »
The Farcroft pub on Rookery road handsworth has been sold and is to be turned in to a mosque. Its believed to have been brought by the Kurdish community.

There should be a happy medium to be found. I they want to turn a good old British pub into a mosque let them. So long as they serve alcohol and have a dartboard. Also at least one in five pubs turned into a mosque must keep a bowling green. Then the way I see it everybody is happily catered for.

I should work for the United Nations me, I've got all the answers.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 04:34:36 PM by Damo70 »

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2021, 04:40:10 PM »
Yes Damo70 you are indeed a great Reformer. Your suggestion could do wonders for unity :D

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2021, 07:28:36 PM »

There should be a happy medium to be found. I they want to turn a good old British pub into a mosque let them. So long as they serve alcohol and have a dartboard. Also at least one in five pubs turned into a mosque must keep a bowling green. Then the way I see it everybody is happily catered for.

I should work for the United Nations me, I've got all the answers.  ;)

You mean a Tap Room.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2021, 08:19:27 PM »

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2021, 08:48:07 PM »
I don't understand why Villa don't keep the bars open to sell more food and drink for an hour after the game. Brighton did this last year and it reduced some of the pain of getting the train.

Slightly different as Brighton is quite out of the way. Last time I was at VP i went in to the Aston Social afterwards and it was good fun. Although it really was a stopping off point for the crowds to disperse as every half an hour the DJ would announce that a load of taxis had pulled up.

Not much you can do if the area is changing and there isn't a need for good pubs. Eventually they will all die off until some entrepreneur comes up with an idea. It's all about supply and demand. There wasn't anyone in the Aston Tavern on the Friday night before a game last time I was there. Hard to see why anyone would buy into a pub that only has customers 11am-3pm and then 5pm-8pm every other saturday.
if a traditional community moves out and is  replaced with a non drinking community then pubs will decline. Big chain pub like wether spoons, hungry horse, green king and These curry pubs are our hope of continuing the pub trade. It's was green King who saved the stockland and the hare and hounds on marsh Hill (marsh Hill one lasted 5 years and closed for retirement homes) the curry pub saved  the Ashbury taven on Newton road, calthorpe arms, and soho taven. The ones like the barn and upper grounds have bar facilities but dont serve alcohol, they should as bars are needed around Villa Park, they would also be contributing to match day traditions at the same time make money.

This is a good point. The reality is the area around VP is largely inhabited with a Muslim community. In addition while there is still some industry around there, the days of lots of factories with workers that would keep these pubs ticking over midweek on non match days are largely over and anyway the culture of drinking at lunch breaks is less acceptable now. All a combination of factors for many of these pubs to die off. Pubs/clubs have to offer something for people to want to travel in on non match days. The Barton’s with its lovely traditional renovation and really good food is a great example.
Like clampy I struggle with the ‘match day experience’ phrasing, seems Americanised to me. My match routine has changed as I go with my kids Over recent years, so now instead of a fair few beers up town or by the ground pre and post match, now I either go to my local for a couple of beers and soft drinks for the kids, meet up with some friends and do the short train journey, or I drive and either had a pint at the Sacred Heart or at the ground. Things change and move on and the pleasure I get going with my kids is different to 10 years ago and that was different to when I was a kid. I’ve loved all my different experiences of going down the villa.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »
Who's running the Aston Social these day's. 25 years or so ago it was Pat and his family who I knew well from their Jewellers Arms days. Is it still in the family?

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2021, 10:19:54 PM »
Don't know about the owners, but Aston Social has been done out and now called The Aston Inn.

Bad news about The Tap & Spile. Not reopening at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal