collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Hotel  (Read 30333 times)

Offline Villa75

Re: Aston Hotel
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 03:29:07 PM »
I don't understand why Villa don't keep the bars open to sell more food and drink for an hour after the game. Brighton did this last year and it reduced some of the pain of getting the train.

They used to not long ago, when I last had a season ticket. When did they stop?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 03:47:38 PM »
I don't understand why Villa don't keep the bars open to sell more food and drink for an hour after the game. Brighton did this last year and it reduced some of the pain of getting the train.

They used to not long ago, when I last had a season ticket. When did they stop?

Probably when they realised it wasn't worth staying open.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 05:28:44 PM »

Slightly different as Brighton is quite out of the way. Last time I was at VP i went in to the Aston Social afterwards and it was good fun. Although it really was a stopping off point for the crowds to disperse as every half an hour the DJ would announce that a load of taxis had pulled up.

Not much you can do if the area is changing and there isn't a need for good pubs. Eventually they will all die off until some entrepreneur comes up with an idea. It's all about supply and demand. There wasn't anyone in the Aston Tavern on the Friday night before a game last time I was there. Hard to see why anyone would buy into a pub that only has customers 11am-3pm and then 5pm-8pm every other saturday.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 05:33:38 PM »
The Holte Suite stays open after the game for a couple of hours.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »

Ah. That's what I was referring to.

Do you still have to be a season ticket holder to get in?

Offline rim gk

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 06:24:22 PM »

Slightly different as Brighton is quite out of the way. Last time I was at VP i went in to the Aston Social afterwards and it was good fun. Although it really was a stopping off point for the crowds to disperse as every half an hour the DJ would announce that a load of taxis had pulled up.

Not much you can do if the area is changing and there isn't a need for good pubs. Eventually they will all die off until some entrepreneur comes up with an idea. It's all about supply and demand. There wasn't anyone in the Aston Tavern on the Friday night before a game last time I was there. Hard to see why anyone would buy into a pub that only has customers 11am-3pm and then 5pm-8pm every other saturday.
if a traditional community moves out and is  replaced with a non drinking community then pubs will decline. Big chain pub like wether spoons, hungry horse, green king and These curry pubs are our hope of continuing the pub trade. It's was green King who saved the stockland and the hare and hounds on marsh Hill (marsh Hill one lasted 5 years and closed for retirement homes) the curry pub saved  the Ashbury taven on Newton road, calthorpe arms, and soho taven. The ones like the barn and upper grounds have bar facilities but dont serve alcohol, they should as bars are needed around Villa Park, they would also be contributing to match day traditions at the same time make money. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 06:28:48 PM by rim gk »

Online Clampy

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 06:28:10 PM »

Before the game, yes. After the game, they tend not to check.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
Is this the Barn working mens social club you're talking about, situated beside the canal on Brookvale Road?  Has that gone? How long ago did that happen and, have they relocated elsewhere?  I never heard about it if so.

Offline rim gk

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »
Is this the Barn working mens social club you're talking about, situated beside the canal on Brookvale Road?  Has that gone? How long ago did that happen and, have they relocated elsewhere?  I never heard about it if so.
no mate it's now called the marigold, well preserved and looks  Good. They offer parking facilities on match day for 5.00 but won't offer a bar and they easily could.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2017, 06:37:09 PM »
Ta.

Offline Villa75

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 06:41:10 PM »

Before the game, yes. After the game, they tend not to check.

That's great. Thanks.

I'm bringing a chap for his first game - a massive Villa fan - and I know he'd love to have a look around.

We're going to get there extra early so he can have a good look at the stadium, shop, etc.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 07:46:04 PM »
mostly use the tavern but if I stay in town I go in the lord Clifton constitution hill way great beer great food and a fiver in a taxi to vp

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2017, 09:37:07 PM »
The Calthorpe arms which is a 10-15min walk from villa park is undergoing a major refurbishment/extention. They looking to compete with the Grove in Handsworth Wood and soho taven Hockley, with the curries and mixed grills. Looking at it could be next April till it opens. I went there towards the end of last season and they had a few villa flags and posted up. Could be a good shout after the refurbishment.

10 minutes walk to Calthorpe Arms? Are you an Olympic speed walker?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 09:45:53 PM »
no mate it's now called the marigold, well preserved and looks  Good. They offer parking facilities on match day for 5.00 but won't offer a bar and they easily could.

They could, but if they're aiming at the Muslim auidence they won't.

Offline Dharmendra Actor

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2020, 02:21:00 PM »
The Aston social is under refurb,  and will include bed and breakfast accommodation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal