collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 08:01:03 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:58:40 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Somniloquism
[Today at 07:58:20 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 07:57:58 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by AV84
[Today at 07:57:29 PM]

Champions League Contention by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 07:55:46 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 07:34:00 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 07:33:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stanley Victor Collymore  (Read 101130 times)

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Stanley Victor Collymore
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2016, 06:09:50 PM »
I liked him until he said Villa should sack everyone but Kevin mac .

Offline supertom

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2016, 06:39:33 PM »
I don't mind him but he is a gobshite and whilst he does get a lot of stick online that response isn't exactly the most well reasoned.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2016, 06:43:03 PM »
Regarding the Ulrika incident, I think we can all agree what a disgusting thing it was that he did. He can have absolutely no excuses for it but it was a long   time ago and it's something I think and hope he'll regret every day for the rest of his life.

As for his rant today, well it was all a bit 'me me me' wasn't it really? I mean, what's with all this 'I'm off to concentrate on the other 91 clubs' all about? Can you imagine someone like Ian Taylor coming out with a comment like that? What he should be doing instead of getting on his high horse and picking fights with the board on the eve of a local derby, is using his platform to encourage every Villa fan to get behind the team tomorrow and for the rest of the season. 'See you at Bescot' just doesn't cut it from a man who says 'my team Aston Villa' on Talksport every 5 minutes.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2016, 06:45:00 PM »
He's a very passionate Villa fan like so many on here.

I'm not so sure TV. 

There are the comments in his autobiography; Villa fans all being middle class Range Rover drivers from Lichfield, unlike those sporting salt of the earth Scousers.

How from his first press conference he looked at the all seater Holte and felt the club wasn't the one he supported growing up.

From memory (and the memory could be playing tricks) I think he also partly used the slide in status he suffered by joining Villa on his destructive relationship with Urik ka ka and subsequent depression.

There was also an interview in the old 90 minutes magazine his Forest days when he was asked about the Villa and  said: "People always ask me that, but I went to the Wolves more than the Villa. Villa was just the first match I went to."

He wouldn't be unlike some other characters I know, in so far as he has some degree of affinity for the club. Plenty would say if asked that they are Villa fans, owing to friends or family ties. But in truth, they're not too fussed wither way if we win or lose.

It's only really since he's been at talksport that he has come across as some rabid Villa fan, so it seems more of  an attempt to cultivate a 'real fan' persona and doesn't quite ring true with me.

But I guess only SVC truly knows.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »
I was delighted when he joined us but what a waster he turned out be as a player.
Depression or not he destroyed Sir Brian's managerial career and ..... as for board appointment  yes get him in as he has made a good recovery and now is the highest profile ex player we have in football.

No one player makes or breaks a managers career. If you ever put yourself in that position of reliance then its bad management anyway.
On this basis you could just as easily say David Platt made Graham Taylors career, or JPA made DOLs career (for one season).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:12:53 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2016, 07:15:10 PM »
I was delighted when he joined us but what a waster he turned out be as a player.
Depression or not he destroyed Sir Brian's managerial career and ..... as for board appointment  yes get him in as he has made a good recovery and now is the highest profile ex player we have in football.

No one player makes or breaks a managers career. If you ever put yourself in that position of reliance then its bad management anyway.
On this basis you could just as easily say David Platt made Graham Taylors career, or JPA made DOLs career (for one season).

Taylor had already done his best work years before Platt whereas looking at Little's career it was all uphill until he signed Collymore, and down after that. Collymore wasn't the only reason but he was definitely a major factor.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2016, 07:18:39 PM »

Taylor had already done his best work years before Platt whereas looking at Little's career it was all uphill until he signed Collymore, and down after that. Collymore wasn't the only reason but he was definitely a major factor.
Agreed and that included the onfield problem of trying to accommodate him with Yorke and Savo.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2016, 07:35:33 PM »

Agreed and that included the onfield problem of trying to accommodate him with Yorke and Savo.

Was Collymore really a Little signing or an Ellis one ? Most the players brought in by Little before that were in their early/mid 20s on the rise in their careers and ready to reach their peak. Southgate and Wright being just two examples coming immediately to mind. Collymore had peaked at Forest and was falling away at Liverpool and didn't fit that mould.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2016, 07:36:34 PM »

Was Collymore really a Little signing or an Ellis one ? Most the players brought in by Little before that were in their early/mid 20s on the rise in their careers and ready to reach their peak. Southgate and Wright being just two examples coming immediately to mind. Collymore had peaked at Forest and was falling away at Liverpool and didn't fit that mould.

Little. The whole "Ellis signed the players" thing was well over-stated. 

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »

Little certainly took responsibility on the radio the other night, so it was down to Little. I don't think Collymore had peaked, he was allready having mental problems at Liverpool.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2016, 07:43:43 PM »
I think I saw the majority of Stan's games, and for me, one summed it all up perfectly.

Bolton away, we won 1-0, Savo scored. Ball gets pinged up to Stan, and in one movement he controls the ball and lays it perfectly off for the winger to cross. Amazing technique.

Stan stood and watched. Never moved. The cross came in and no one was in the box. Stan had so much talent but barely ever broke sweat for us.

I'm glad he's a voice for Villa in the media but I can think of many better candidates to be our "football man" on the board.

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2016, 07:45:02 PM »

Little. The whole "Ellis signed the players" thing was well over-stated. 

I agree. I  think it was Little searching out all those young not that well known players who were nearly all hits not misses. Everybody knew about Collymore, I wonder who suggested Collymore for Villa first. Little or Ellis ?   

Offline LTA

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2016, 07:45:03 PM »
Dwight Yorke was pretty critical of SVC in his book.  Said he was the only teammate at Villa he never really got on with as he got the impression that he "swanned in thinking he could take over the place".

Plus Ian Taylor said on the radio not too long ago that he had his own opinions on Stan which he'd keep to himself.

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2016, 07:46:32 PM »
Just to clarify; has Stan said he wants to be appointed to the board?  As far as I can tell, he's been repeatedly mocked on twitter for stating his opinion on how the club is performing. I think he's just decided he's had enough.
He's been honest enough to admit that (a) he's made mistakes in his life. And (b) his career at Villa was , in his own words," terrible" neither of these facts make his opinion any more or less valid than any other fan.

I actually enjoy listening to him on the radio, he seems well researched on the teams he's commentating on and he makes fair points regardless of which team he's talking about on his phone in shows.

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2016, 07:49:01 PM »
Dwight Yorke was pretty critical of SVC in his book.  Said he was the only teammate at Villa he never really got on with as he got the impression that he "swanned in thinking he could take over the place".

Plus Ian Taylor said on the radio not too long ago that he had his own opinions on Stan which he'd keep to himself.

And yet, anyone who was in the Mad Dog in San Francisco on the day Stan arrived would have seen the delight in their faces. It was like one of those cartoons where the starving in the desert character sees his mate as trussed like a turkey, only with Stan they all saw a Premiership (I can say that because that's what it was then) winners medal on his shoulders. Four months and about eight games later the stories about him and them started to break.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal