collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389743 times)

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3900 on: August 07, 2023, 02:06:03 PM »
I literally haven’t watched a moment of rugby since Worcester went bump so to see the squad still contains Youngs, Care & Cole is a Wtf moment….might as well have kept Eddie the idiot in charge, thought the idea of changing to Borthwick was sack off the old guard that Jones kept picking

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3901 on: August 07, 2023, 05:32:41 PM »
I think England still look like a side who lack an identity. People get confused and think doing the basics is an identity in and of itself. It’s not, it’s a fundamental part of whatever style a team wants to play. England don’t even have those basics right yet, and just seem quite confused as to what they’re trying to do.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3902 on: August 12, 2023, 08:12:46 PM »
Didn’t see it, but pretty underwhelming result.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3903 on: August 13, 2023, 02:01:26 PM »
Watching it back it was a bloody hopeless display. Mistakes and bad decisions all over the place.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #3904 on: August 14, 2023, 03:51:54 AM »
I think England still look like a side who lack an identity. People get confused and think doing the basics is an identity in and of itself. It’s not, it’s a fundamental part of whatever style a team wants to play. England don’t even have those basics right yet, and just seem quite confused as to what they’re trying to do.

Agree with this entirely. In the 2022 Prem final, Borthwick's Leicester ground out a win over Saracens in a horrible kickfest. Sarries completely changed the way they play as a result - going through the hands as the default option from every turnover - and scored a ton of points on the way to the 2023 title. England seem to be caught somewhere between the two - they run when they should kick and kick when they should run, and they have lumbering forwards at first receiver way too often...

Farrell's gonna get a six game ban now given his previous, so gotta commit to Ford at 10 from here - Smith is all wrapping and no content for me without the threat of the fantastic Esterhuizen outside him. I'd go with an all pace and turnover back three of Earl, Willis and Curry, with Lawes back in the second row for ballast.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3905 on: August 15, 2023, 02:27:38 PM »
Farrell gets away with it.... Red Card overturned

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #3906 on: August 15, 2023, 06:16:15 PM »
Surprised by that. I mean I know he couldn't wrap his right arm or duck his head because of Jamie George, but I didn't think that would be enough mitigation to overturn, as he was never hinged at the waist, and it looked to me like he was moving towards the ball carrier.

I guess the committee were shown more than we have seen.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3907 on: August 15, 2023, 11:33:54 PM »
Surprised by that. I mean I know he couldn't wrap his right arm or duck his head because of Jamie George, but I didn't think that would be enough mitigation to overturn, as he was never hinged at the waist, and it looked to me like he was moving towards the ball carrier.

Personally I'm guessing the committee were looking to avoid banning the England captain from the world cup. Just like they were looking to avoid banning an Irish legend from his planned world cup retirement.

I have no trust for those panels because they make things up to fit the decision they want far too often, generally with nonsense about previous good behaviour and temperament, or conversely giving someone an extended ban because of some unrelated incident years earlier.

Farrell is a liability who has tackled recklessly for his entire career but always gets lenient bans despite doing nothing to correct his technique.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 09:28:15 AM by paul_e »

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #3908 on: August 17, 2023, 09:01:01 AM »
Correct paul_e.

The ban should have stood. This isn't the first time Farrell has been guilty of a tackle without using his arms. He is a liability.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3909 on: August 17, 2023, 12:32:14 PM »
The ban may yet be reinstated as World Rugby look to overturn the ruling.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3910 on: August 17, 2023, 06:50:35 PM »
I see Eddie Jones is still a pr!ck.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3911 on: August 17, 2023, 07:32:07 PM »
Two certainties in rugby….Owen Farrell can’t tackle properly and Eddie Jones is a nob

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3912 on: August 17, 2023, 07:34:02 PM »
The Jones routine is a bit tired now. He needs another record, there used to be a degree of wit to it but now it’s just overtly unpleasant.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3913 on: August 19, 2023, 11:18:12 AM »

Personally I'm guessing the committee were looking to avoid banning the England captain from the world cup. Just like they were looking to avoid banning an Irish legend from his planned world cup retirement.

I have no trust for those panels because they make things up to fit the decision they want far too often, generally with nonsense about previous good behaviour and temperament, or conversely giving someone an extended ban because of some unrelated incident years earlier.

Farrell is a liability who has tackled recklessly for his entire career but always gets lenient bans despite doing nothing to correct his technique.

Although it pains me to agree with David Campese he’s correct in saying that Farrell does this sort of thing time and time again and doesn’t seem to learn from it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3914 on: August 19, 2023, 01:17:11 PM »
He is and it's because officials have been overly lenient with him for his entire career. Why bother changing if you get away with it time and time again?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal