collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381914 times)

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3870 on: March 24, 2023, 07:52:41 PM »
Yeah, i started thinking a few lines would enough and got carried away. Rugby looks complicated written down but in play everything makes a lot more sense.

I'm sure everything you said made perfect sense.I'll try to get my head around it and get back to you. Thanks Paul!

That would be a free-kick.

Nice.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3871 on: March 24, 2023, 09:05:19 PM »
I noticed now I'm on my laptop there were a few typos and bit that weren't as clear as I'd like so I've made a few changes to the post.

I honestly hope it helps people because I do understand that for people who don't know the sport/haven't played the technical penalties can get really messy and hard to follow. I didn't include the lineout because most of the penalties there are actually in the resultant maul but I'm happy to cover anything if anyone is unsure.

I'm also very sorry for anyone who doesn't give a shit about this, I took Rory's request in good faith and hope it will help him if he chooses to watch games going forward.

I've just read through and it absolutely helps, thanks Paul. So how long do you have to let go of the ball/man after a tackle, and what constitutes a completed tackle?

Completed tackle: Knee or arse on the floor.

Letting go is generally when the ref calls the tackle as complete but is policed by outcome so if you're stopping play from progressing you get penalised, if that makes sense.

Offline Rory

« Reply #3872 on: March 24, 2023, 09:22:13 PM »
I noticed now I'm on my laptop there were a few typos and bit that weren't as clear as I'd like so I've made a few changes to the post.

I honestly hope it helps people because I do understand that for people who don't know the sport/haven't played the technical penalties can get really messy and hard to follow. I didn't include the lineout because most of the penalties there are actually in the resultant maul but I'm happy to cover anything if anyone is unsure.

I'm also very sorry for anyone who doesn't give a shit about this, I took Rory's request in good faith and hope it will help him if he chooses to watch games going forward.

I've just read through and it absolutely helps, thanks Paul. So how long do you have to let go of the ball/man after a tackle, and what constitutes a completed tackle?

Completed tackle: Knee or arse on the floor.

Letting go is generally when the ref calls the tackle as complete but is policed by outcome so if you're stopping play from progressing you get penalised, if that makes sense.

Definitely. Last one (I promise) what's a knock-on?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3873 on: March 24, 2023, 10:23:50 PM »
When you knock the ball forward with your hands instead of catching it / picking it up.

Offline Rory

« Reply #3874 on: March 24, 2023, 10:49:04 PM »
Thanks Chris.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3875 on: July 07, 2023, 09:08:19 PM »
The southern hemisphere Championship starts tomorrow.

First two games are in South Africa and Argentina, so at tv friendly times.

As with other World Cup years, it’s a shortened competition.

However, it looks like NZ & Aus are playing an extra game for ‘The Bloke Who Knew My Grandfather*’ Cup

* alternatively….. ‘The Bloke Whose House I Can See From My Garden’ Cup

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3876 on: July 14, 2023, 09:30:38 PM »
'Scotland not going to World Cup to finish second' - Ewan Ashman

He’s quite correct, they won’t finish second. More likely the equivalent of seventh or eighth :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/66203667

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3877 on: July 17, 2023, 09:49:24 AM »
The verdict in the Sexton hearing is about as predictable as it is pathetic. It was never gonig to be more than 3 games because they didn't dare make him miss out on the world cup.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3878 on: July 17, 2023, 12:06:10 PM »
Forgot to post anything about this whilst it was going on but the weekend saw the end of the U20 championship with England finishing 4th.

The 2 standout players for me were:
Cassius Cleaves on the wing who had fantastic quick feet and was always looking to break the line, needs a bit of work on the defensive positioning side of his game but I reckon he'll be very good in a year or 2.
Chandler Cunningham-South at 8 who was spectacularly good, almost like a full international stepping down to fill in and bullying teams. He's an exceptional talent and I reckon will be the next big thing in English rugby after the world cup.

Other than that the thing that really stood out was that the 4 teams that made the semi-finals all had front rows that looked and played like flankers as soon as the ball was loose. Give it a few years and the idea that Genge (for example) is dynamic will feel so out of date and mobility will be essential for props. Hookers have already seen the change with people like Sheehan and Blamire coming through and that doesn't look like it's going to change.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3879 on: July 17, 2023, 02:43:40 PM »
I'm putting this as a marker now so I can look back in 8 years and say "see, I told you." My mate Ed's son Harry to play for England. He's unbelievable at the age of 11 and has got all the posho schools (including Millfield) falling over themselves to offer him a full scholarship. Dylan Hartley said he's one of the best kids he's ever seen.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3880 on: July 17, 2023, 02:56:48 PM »
I'm putting this as a marker now so I can look back in 8 years and say "see, I told you." My mate Ed's son Harry to play for England. He's unbelievable at the age of 11 and has got all the posho schools (including Millfield) falling over themselves to offer him a full scholarship. Dylan Hartley said he's one of the best kids he's ever seen.

Good luck to him, at that age it's mostly about technical ability so the kids with natural talent are very easy to spot. I remember going to a youth tournament a while back (2011 I think) and 2 kids stood out by miles and pretty much everyone watching knew they were going all the way, Jack and Tom Willis. We don't have anyone at that standard but there's a few kids I've seen for or against us that will play pro/semi-pro if they want it.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #3881 on: July 17, 2023, 04:07:41 PM »

Good luck to him, at that age it's mostly about technical ability so the kids with natural talent are very easy to spot. I remember going to a youth tournament a while back (2011 I think) and 2 kids stood out by miles and pretty much everyone watching knew they were going all the way, Jack and Tom Willis. We don't have anyone at that standard but there's a few kids I've seen for or against us that will play pro/semi-pro if they want it.

That is the complete opposite of my experience.

I (helped) coached my younger son's age group from under 8's through to 16, and we put various kids into the Kent and Saracens pathways.

The kids that were taken on by Saracens were generally the most physical, and this changed from year to year as kids matured at different rates. Some of our most technical and skilful players were of no interest to Saracens.

Interestingly, Saracens sometimes used to pay for some of those elite prospects to be educated at fee paying schools (I think Itoje and Vunipola both went to Harrow) - I am not sure if this still happens.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #3882 on: July 17, 2023, 04:11:49 PM »
With Sarries that wouldn't shock me, they're one of the more agricultural sides around.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3883 on: July 18, 2023, 12:35:34 PM »
My mate's son is big for his age, an extemely fast runner, and strong as anything. All combined with being ridiculously skilful. At one game against another school their teacher actually asked if he could be taken off as the other parents were complaining that it wasn't fair.

Online Jon Crofts

« Reply #3884 on: August 02, 2023, 01:01:28 PM »
A lad in my sons class at school was picked up by London Irish at an early age, he was streets ahead of kids his age, in fact he was streets ahead of kids 2 or 3 age groups higher. I heard referees ask him to 'not be so physical' in games as he dominated every kid he came across. He had everything, skill, technical ability, strength, pace and guile, London Irish put him through several years at Harrow where he shone.

He works for Santander now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal