collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381586 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3810 on: March 11, 2023, 09:59:28 PM »
Only just got round to watching the game…….wow.

There’s enough English players available  to drop the whole lot of them for next weekend……apart from Mitchell

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3811 on: March 11, 2023, 11:02:26 PM »
Malins is the absolute epitome of a good club player, but not good enough to be a Test player. You need dynamism and/or pace to be an international winger.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3812 on: March 12, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »
Haven’t watched any rugby at all since Worcester went bump as disillusioned with it until today but lasted less than hour into this game before switching back to the football…if this is truly the best England have to offer it’ll be a short World Cup - poor

This is exactly what I did too Gareth and watching Man City is like watching paint dry.  Comes to something when that game was the preferable option.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3813 on: March 12, 2023, 02:27:14 PM »
Haven’t watched any rugby at all since Worcester went bump as disillusioned with it until today but lasted less than hour into this game before switching back to the football…if this is truly the best England have to offer it’ll be a short World Cup - poor

This is exactly what I did too Gareth and watching Man City is like watching paint dry.  Comes to something when that game was the preferable option.

Exactly! City are the most boring team to watch but that England team was dreadful - as others have said Dombrandt, what the hell…he was a beast in the age group teams but surely that effort yesterday wasn’t reflective of his adult abilities?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3814 on: March 12, 2023, 03:46:09 PM »
The one big positive Dombrandt has is that his offloading game is fantastic, but we play in a way that doesn't particularly encourage playing it. Without that he's just not mobile enough for international rugby.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3815 on: March 12, 2023, 04:30:32 PM »
Ireland are going to obliterate us.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3816 on: March 12, 2023, 05:38:09 PM »

No chickens being counted over here. I was at the delayed 2001 game where we stopped England doing the Grand Slam and I'm sure England would happily repay the favour, plus there are going to be plenty of casualties after today. Wasn't feeling too confident during the first 15 mins of the second half but they ground out the win in difficult circumstances.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #3817 on: March 12, 2023, 07:38:02 PM »
England are too far off tactically and from a physicality point of view to upset the Irish.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3818 on: March 12, 2023, 07:40:38 PM »
England May have their moments but Ireland will be easy winners.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3819 on: March 13, 2023, 03:01:08 AM »

No chickens being counted over here. I was at the delayed 2001 game where we stopped England doing the Grand Slam and I'm sure England would happily repay the favour, plus there are going to be plenty of casualties after today. Wasn't feeling too confident during the first 15 mins of the second half but they ground out the win in difficult circumstances.

Yep, I'm not a rugby guy at all, but I keep an eye on Ireland because my family over are into it, and one thing I've learnt is that you can seldom trust them.

Ireland stopped England getting the GS in the final game in about 2017, IIRC? And that was pretty fun. I'm sure England will be keen to do the same, particularly after a bad result this weekend.

I think, if Ireland were to face any of the five to decide the GS, England would be my last choice, regardless of form.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #3820 on: March 13, 2023, 12:02:25 PM »

Yep, I'm not a rugby guy at all, but I keep an eye on Ireland because my family over are into it, and one thing I've learnt is that you can seldom trust them.

Ireland stopped England getting the GS in the final game in about 2017, IIRC? And that was pretty fun. I'm sure England will be keen to do the same, particularly after a bad result this weekend.

I think, if Ireland were to face any of the five to decide the GS, England would be my last choice, regardless of form.

I think we've just been following Villa and Ireland for too long although like Villa, Ireland now appear to have the right coach in place. As an interested observer who's never played the game, I'm happy to read the thoughts and defer to the knowledge of those here that have.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3821 on: March 13, 2023, 02:26:29 PM »
I think the physicality of the Irish team will blow this England squad away in my opinion. England suffered from Jones spending 3 years trying to prove his team could match up to the 2019 SA team instead of trying to work out how to approach 2023. That's blown up in our faces and we're scrambling around trying to find anything to give us optimism for the world cup but with nowhere near the time needed to develop anything.

This is why I thought Borthwick, or similar, should've been an after the world cup appointment and we should've gone a bit more short-term in the meantime so it was a clean break. Saturday wasn't a one-off, it's the culmination of years of poor decisions being made by England.

With the mess the domestic game is in (financially) there needs to be a big rethink at the RFU, if nothing else to work out what to do about the amount of English players now playing in France.

EDIT to add an example, Dombrandt being in the team because Simmonds is moving to France and Mercer is currently playing in France makes us a lot weaker in that position than we should be, that needs to be addressed.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #3822 on: March 14, 2023, 01:24:05 AM »
Apparently, Mercer has been outstanding in the last eighteen months.

Simmonds is out of the squad for Saturday.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3823 on: March 14, 2023, 07:15:27 AM »
Apparently, Mercer has been outstanding in the last eighteen months.

Simmonds is out of the squad for Saturday.

Mercer is one of the best 8s in the french league, right up there with Alldritt not having him available for selection is just silly.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #3824 on: March 15, 2023, 02:12:23 AM »
Wasn't he voted player of the year last season?

In other news, Ollie Chessum is out for the w/end.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal