collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 02:51:28 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

VAR by Nev
[Today at 02:49:24 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:45:11 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Drummond
[Today at 02:34:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:32:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 02:25:19 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389874 times)

Offline nigel

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #3765 on: February 13, 2023, 08:32:48 AM »
Yeah it feels like it’s a specific tactic, which is odd.

For me the Italian defence were up pretty sharpish, so instead of getting wrapped up going nowhere, a kick behind keeps them pegged back with either a line out or a drop out.
One of the pundits was saying that with the drop outs now from the try line it’s an easy way of the attacking team regaining possession in a good position.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #3766 on: February 13, 2023, 11:44:06 AM »
Forward pass? Anybody? No?

Forward pass, in touch and ball touched down on the line but yeah give it to ireland, it is their turn.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3767 on: February 13, 2023, 07:06:23 PM »
I may have been out drinking a lot and watching the game with a big group of rugby players yesterday and been pretty quiet.

Some thoughts, good stuff first:
JVP and Mitchell showed exactly why Ben Youngs shouldn't be anywhere near the squad, Mitch in particular put in as good a subs appearance as I've seen from a 9 in a long time. I'd be happy rotating between the 2 for starter and sub for now.
Willis and Ludlam were superb, the shirts should be theirs for now, we have some great depth in the back row.
Genge, Chessum and Itoje were also superb. George was the best I've seen him for England for a while as well.
Arundell is a special talent who we should be building around after the world cup. In the meantime he should be given gametime for experience and to be a bit of a wildcard in the world cup.
a proper pairing in the centres helped massively, Lawrence was given a very basic crash running role but just that was enough to make a big difference.

The bad:
I have no idea why we went back to something that doesn't work by bringing Smith on for Slade, we lost all shape once we made that change and it was only because of Mitchell that we had any threat.
Steward was, yet again, pretty disappointing. He's a good prospect and I know the Tigers-centric rugby community have anointed him the next big thing but, for me, his position is far more secure than it should be right now because he's been ropey in the autumn and these 2 games.
Cole and Mako are past it, both are solid in the scrum but just haven't got the legs in open play, we were effectively playing with 13 men once they were on.
Dombrandt doesn't do enough for me, he's a good club player but I think the step up in intensity is overwhelming him right now.
Sinkler was hit and miss, we really need to find some more depth at prop.
I'm unconvinced with Hassell-Collins and Malins as the wingers, both are good try scorers at club level but the jury is out on them for me.
Some of the subs seemed to have nothing to do with what was happening on the field, taking Genge and Willis off when he did was insane, they were probably the 2 best players on the pitch at the time.

I know that seems pretty grumpy but in general I think it was the best we've played for a while (in the first half at least) but most of the subs had a pretty negative impact on us and the outside backs didn't quite work. If we can fix at least some of these problems the world cup draw is stacked nicely for us to be looking to at least make the semi-final. I've seen comments about the result papering over the cracks but I think that's the exact opposite of what happened, I think it showed that we need to fix those cracks but have the basis of a very strong squad.

Moving on the Lowe try should never have stood, terrible decision from the officials, but it was such a great finish that I don't mind as much as I normally would. The Irish defence in the 2nd half was exceptional and they fully deserved the win, very interesting to watch was the use of the 50-22 rule to get regular territorial gains, France will have to look at that because they were badly exposed. Dupont was fucking immense again though, a genuine generational talent. The offloading from Doris was special.

Wales are in big trouble, they'll clearly pick things up against England as they always do but I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish bottom, to be in such a mess in a world cup year is ridiculous and shows just how poor a choice Pivac was. Gatland might turn things around a bit I'm just not sure the players are there right now for a major improvement.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #3768 on: February 14, 2023, 01:28:45 AM »
After the game, Woodward made the same point as you (re the subs); why take off players who are playing well just to bring on inferior replacements?

Offline nigel

« Reply #3769 on: February 25, 2023, 12:45:56 PM »
Wales vrs England
I shouldn’t be concerned, but I just know Wales are going to morph into World beaters today!!

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3770 on: February 25, 2023, 06:13:37 PM »
Poor kicking from Farrell.  That was a key kick, missed.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3771 on: February 25, 2023, 06:31:42 PM »
Good win England.  Well done.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3772 on: February 25, 2023, 06:52:50 PM »
Good result but lots of work to be done still.

Mitchell coming on made a big difference, our tempo went up a notch and they couldn't cope with it.

Farrell had an awful day, JVP wasn't great either. Bringing 3 players on for the last play was shit.

I want Borthwick to do well but he needs to stop relying on his old Tigers players so much.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3773 on: February 25, 2023, 07:40:19 PM »
Good result but lots of work to be done still.

Mitchell coming on made a big difference, our tempo went up a notch and they couldn't cope with it.

Farrell had an awful day, JVP wasn't great either. Bringing 3 players on for the last play was shit.

I want Borthwick to do well but he needs to stop relying on his old Tigers players so much.

My next door neighbour Dan Cole is one of those Leicester players.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #3774 on: February 25, 2023, 09:01:43 PM »
Lack of ideas from Wales, as they kept kicking the ball to Steward.

Offline nigel

« Reply #3775 on: February 25, 2023, 09:17:40 PM »

Steward was brilliant today, he’s so good under the high ball, so I couldn’t understand Wales doing it.
Thought England were very good, apart from Farrells kicking. Bit of a one off? Could have been a worry in a closer game.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #3776 on: February 26, 2023, 03:14:14 PM »
Red card for Gilchrist

Online paul_e

« Reply #3777 on: February 26, 2023, 03:20:08 PM »
Red card for Gilchrist

Clear red, players have to know better than that now. The only problem is how long it took for anyone to notice. Fair play to the medic for sticking to it.

And now a fucking stupid challenge from france has evened up the numbers, what a moron.

Online paul_e

« Reply #3778 on: February 26, 2023, 04:54:59 PM »
What a match that turned out to be.

Fickou is an incredible player, goes under the radar a bit but he was superb today.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 07:49:00 PM by paul_e »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #3779 on: February 26, 2023, 06:48:51 PM »

Steward was brilliant today, he’s so good under the high ball, so I couldn’t understand Wales doing it.
Thought England were very good, apart from Farrells kicking. Bit of a one off? Could have been a worry in a closer game.

I wouldn’t worry about Farrell’s kicking he’s good an excellent history from the tee. What would worry me more is that he didn’t sense that the need for England to go for the kill between 50-70. They should have upped the tempo and attacking intent there. It worked out this time, but they were overly conservative in that phase - it gets a pass because it’s only Borthwick’s third game but that won’t be acceptable for long.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal