collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by LeeS
[Today at 03:32:49 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Drummond
[Today at 03:31:50 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 03:16:29 PM]

VAR by astonvilla82
[Today at 03:15:23 PM]

Official Website by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 02:50:07 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Drummond
[Today at 02:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by LeeS
[Today at 03:32:49 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Drummond
[Today at 03:31:50 PM]

Re: FFP by Drummond
[Today at 03:30:39 PM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 03:30:06 PM]

Re: FFP by olaftab
[Today at 03:26:32 PM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by David_Nab
[Today at 03:26:23 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 03:25:24 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by VillaTim
[Today at 03:25:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389931 times)

Offline peter w

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1860 on: June 21, 2017, 09:56:30 PM »
I should have put my own! I was looking for what will start rather than what we think should.

Cole
George
Furlong
Kruis
AWJ
Warburton
O Brien
Faletau
Murray
Sexton
Farrell
Te'o
North
Watson
Halfpenny

I think if Sexton starts then Te'o doesn't as Farell will go to 12 and Davies will come in.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1861 on: June 22, 2017, 08:04:14 AM »
Thoughts?
Apart from no Itoje, I like that team

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1862 on: June 22, 2017, 08:15:54 AM »
Alun Wyn Jones is the most Welsh sounding person I have heard of since the days of the goalkeeper Dai Davies.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1863 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:31 AM »
Thoughts?

I'd have gone with Daly at 15 and North on the wing (because I think Williams has a few fundamental flaws) and Itoje ahead of AWJ but otherwise it's clearly the right team on form.  I also think that JJ is unlucky that the coach sees no value in a centre who's less than 6'3 and 15 stone but that's so well established that I never expected anything else.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1864 on: June 22, 2017, 09:06:12 AM »
Thoughts?

Have to say that I'm very surprised about the selection of Liam Williams at full-back.  There have been calls in Wales for some time now for Williams to play at full-back and Leigh Halfpenny on the wing, but Gatland and his coaching team have remained steadfast (earning the nickname 'cement head').  I'm amazed that he's chosen this game in particular to finally make that call.  North is really out of form and I'm a big fan of Daly, so no complaints there and the rest looks about right.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1865 on: June 22, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
As has been said other than Itoje I don't mind that. I'd also prefer Daly at full back but hey ho.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1866 on: June 22, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »
As has been said other than Itoje I don't mind that. I'd also prefer Daly at full back but hey ho.

As an aside Peter, do you see Daly as an option at full-back for England going forward?  I have to say that a backline of Youngs, Farrell, Daly, Te'o, Joseph, Watson, Brown looks strong on paper. 

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1867 on: June 22, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »

As an aside Peter, do you see Daly as an option at full-back for England going forward?  I have to say that a backline of Youngs, Farrell, Daly, Te'o, Joseph, Watson, Brown looks strong on paper. 

Daly will repalce Brown at full back before the world cup, I'd put money on it.  I suspect Watson on one wing is set in stone with Nowell/Solomona fighting for the other spot, along with a few of the kids (Earle and Cokanasiga both look exceptional talents).

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1868 on: June 22, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »

Daly will repalce Brown at full back before the world cup, I'd put money on it.  I suspect Watson on one wing is set in stone with Nowell/Solomona fighting for the other spot, along with a few of the kids (Earle and Cokanasiga both look exceptional talents).

As I said, a strong (and fairly young) backline developing there Paul.  I think Farrell will be first choice ten from this point on, especially if both him an Te'o have a good series. 

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #1869 on: June 22, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »

As I said, a strong (and fairly young) backline developing there Paul.  I think Farrell will be first choice ten from this point on, especially if both him an Te'o have a good series. 

I wouldn't rule out George Ford. He's been world class in the series against Argentina. I think England comfortably have the best two fly halfs in the Northern Hemisphere

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1870 on: June 22, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »

I wouldn't rule out George Ford. He's been world class in the series against Argentina. I think England comfortably have the best two fly halfs in the Northern Hemisphere

It's a hard one assessing fly halves in those terms, as a lot of it can depend on the pack of forwards they are playing behind and the scrum half they are playing with.  I like George Ford and his distribution on the gainline, kicking and general game management is excellent.  The only question that lingers over him though is his defence, especially as a first up defender at ten.  A pundit on the BBC Wales rugby show did a piece on him during the 6N, highlighting how England try and hide him in defence and then the week after the England game showed how Wales were able to get over the gainline by targeting him. 

Farrell's defence is very strong though and that might just get him the nod going forward.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #1871 on: June 22, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »
Its hard to say long term. For the autumn internationals and the 6 nations I can't see Eddie Jones moving away from Ford at 10 and Farrell at 12.

They have consistently played brilliantly in that combo
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:31:43 PM by taylorsworkrate »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1872 on: June 22, 2017, 03:11:55 PM »
Its hard to say long term. For the autumn internationals and the 6 nations I can't see Eddie Jones moving away from Ford at 10 and Farrell at 12.

They have consistently played brilliantly in that combo

Depends how Te'o goes in the series I would have thought.  If he has a stormer, it would be hard to ignore him. 

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1873 on: June 22, 2017, 06:07:36 PM »
I should have put my own! I was looking for what will start rather than what we think should.

Cole
George
Furlong
Kruis
AWJ
Warburton
O Brien
Faletau
Murray
Sexton
Farrell
Te'o
North
Watson
Halfpenny

Two tight heads there CL!!

Bollocks. I meant Vunipola. Anyhow, I was miles out!

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1874 on: June 22, 2017, 06:12:11 PM »

Solomona cant defend. Don't rule out Johnny May.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal