collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389589 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1845 on: June 21, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
Itoje has to start. AWJ just isn't in the same class.

At the start of the tour, there were 3 players for me that had to be certain starters (barring injury) for the dynamism they bought to the team.

They were Farrell, Billy Vunipola and Itoje

Different types really.  AWJ is the more rugged, old fashioned second row whereas Itoje is a more modern, athletic type of forward.  I think that dynamism might be viewed as better utilised coming off the bench in the latter stages, but we will see.

Farrell and Vunipola are indeed key players to any side, but Kruis is the key in the front five, especially as he calls the lineouts.     

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1846 on: June 21, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »

At the start of the tour, there were 3 players for me that had to be certain starters (barring injury) for the dynamism they bought to the team.

Different types really.  AWJ is the more rugged, old fashioned second row whereas Itoje is a more modern, athletic type of forward.  I think that dynamism might be viewed as better utilised coming off the bench in the latter stages, but we will see.

Farrell and Vunipola are indeed key players to any side, but Kruis is the key in the front five, especially as he calls the lineouts.     

I think Itoje will start, his ability to get round the pitch as, effectively, an extra back row is important against a team with the pace of the ABs.  I'd have Lawes as the bench option as well because he's also very good around the pitch and in a close game bringing someone on to smash the flyhalf can make a difference.  AWJ shouldn't be there at all.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1847 on: June 21, 2017, 02:47:54 PM »

I think Itoje will start, his ability to get round the pitch as, effectively, an extra back row is important against a team with the pace of the ABs.  I'd have Lawes as the bench option as well because he's also very good around the pitch and in a close game bringing someone on to smash the flyhalf can make a difference.  AWJ shouldn't be there at all.

I can't see Gatland not starting AWJ and Warburton on Saturday Paul, with Itoje and O'Brien being on the bench.  The other big choices are Sexton or Farrell at ten and Joseph or Daly on the bench. 

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #1848 on: June 21, 2017, 02:54:08 PM »

Agreed. Launchbery is a much better player in much better form.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1849 on: June 21, 2017, 03:50:10 PM »

I can't see Gatland not starting AWJ and Warburton on Saturday Paul, with Itoje and O'Brien being on the bench.  The other big choices are Sexton or Farrell at ten and Joseph or Daly on the bench. 

If Warburton starts he's basically admitting that picking players he knows is the most important thing, O'Brien has arguably been the player of the tour so far.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1850 on: June 21, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »

If Warburton starts he's basically admitting that picking players he knows is the most important thing, O'Brien has arguably been the player of the tour so far.

Seen it said elsewhere Paul that an O'Mahony and O'Brien combination lacks mobility and pace, which will be key against their back row on Saturday.  As I've said before I think the days of the first XV are gone and it is now about starters and finishers, and piecing together which players are suited to each role. 

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1851 on: June 21, 2017, 06:19:55 PM »
What are starting 15 predictions for the weekend then,

Offline peter w

« Reply #1852 on: June 21, 2017, 06:24:21 PM »
Predictions rather than who I'd play...

Halfpenny
Watson
Davies
Te'o
North
Farrell (if fit)
Murphy
Vunipola
George
Irish fella whose name escapes me
Wyn Jones
Kruis
Warburton
O'Brien
Felatau

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #1853 on: June 21, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
Predictions rather than who I'd play...

Halfpenny
Watson
Davies
Te'o
North
Farrell (if fit)
Murphy
Vunipola
George
Irish fella whose name escapes me
Wyn Jones
Kruis
Warburton
O'Brien
Felatau

Furlong

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #1854 on: June 21, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
I think it will be the same team as Peter W predicted, but with Itoje for Wyn Jones.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1855 on: June 21, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
I should have put my own! I was looking for what will start rather than what we think should.

Cole
George
Furlong
Kruis
AWJ
Warburton
O Brien
Faletau
Murray
Sexton
Farrell
Te'o
North
Watson
Halfpenny

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1856 on: June 21, 2017, 08:01:51 PM »
I should have put my own! I was looking for what will start rather than what we think should.

Cole
George
Furlong
Kruis
AWJ
Warburton
O Brien
Faletau
Murray
Sexton
Farrell
Te'o
North
Watson
Halfpenny

Two tight heads there CL!!

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #1857 on: June 21, 2017, 08:05:08 PM »
Backs: 15 Liam Williams (Wales); 14 Anthony Watson (England), 13 Jonathan Davies (Wales), 12 Ben Te'o (England), 11 Elliot Daly (England); 10 Owen Farrell (England), 9 Conor Murray (Ireland);

Forwards: 1 Mako Vunipola (England), 2 Jamie George (England), 3 Tadhg Furlong (Ireland); 4 Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), 5 George Kruis (England); 6 Peter O'Mahony - captain (Ireland), 7 Sean O'Brien (Ireland), 8 Taulupe Faletau (Wales).

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #1858 on: June 21, 2017, 08:08:18 PM »
Replacements: 16 Ken Owens (Wales), 17 Jack McGrath (Ireland), 18 Kyle Sinckler (England), 19 Maro Itoje (England), 20 Sam Warburton (Wales), 21 Rhys Webb (Wales), 22 Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), 23 Leigh Halfpenny (Wales).

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #1859 on: June 21, 2017, 08:10:07 PM »
Some real suprises in that team.

Excellent decision to pick Daly ahead of North.

Not too sure about Williams at fullback and Wyn Jones ahead of Itoje is a joke. I get the point about Itoje's potential impact off the bench, but with carthorses like AWJ in the side the game could be out of reach by that point

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal