collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 389694 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1560 on: March 13, 2017, 07:03:23 PM »
Plenty of praise for Farrell and Ford as well. When they are that flat I would back us to destroy any opposition.

Yep, I said to a few people JJ gets the praise but the midfield unit of those 3 put in an almost faultless display between them and youngs put in his first good performance for a while as well which helped.

In years gone by I would expect us to falter when we play Ireland but with Jones in charge I think we will win...He has changed many things but it's the mentality that he really seems to have changed...An incredible self belief that if you stick at it the result will come.

I think he's got himself a proper captain as well.  I know that Hartley can be a bit of a dick but he's a very good player and he just doesn't accept being 2nd best.  Finding a manager willing to back him and tell the rest of the team to develop that mindset has been a huge part of it.  On top of that he's benefiting from the sheer depth that the RFU approach to academy rugby has created.  Having 2-3 international class players for pretty much every position makes it a lot easier to make changes and know you're getting the fitness boost without reducing quality.  That in particular has allowed us to blitz teams late on and belief that "finishers" play as big a part as starters means players come on knowing they got the backing to change the game.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1561 on: March 13, 2017, 07:20:49 PM »
The bench was going to be my other point. We empty ours and win. There isn't a team in the Northern Hemisphere  (possibly the world) that can cope with what we bring on with splinters in their arse.

On the captain bit Saturday, it wasn't just Hartley. Via the ref mic you could hear our players screaming for discipline at each other long before the ref got involved.

"Dylan, release"

"Slow it, slow it, off your feet".

And so on.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1562 on: March 13, 2017, 07:24:50 PM »
The bench was going to be my other point. We empty ours and win. There isn't a team in the Northern Hemisphere  (possibly the world) that can cope with what we bring on with splinters in their arse.

On the captain bit Saturday, it wasn't just Hartley. Via the ref mic you could hear our players screaming for discipline at each other long before the ref got involved.

"Dylan, release"

"Slow it, slow it, off your feet".

And so on.

That's what I mean, Hartley has got everyone expecting more and they talk a lot, you can see it every game, there's always a few little chats going on at every breakdown and as you say you can here 5-6 different voices over the ref mic.  Farrell has really stepped up a level in that regard which is why he'd be my lions captain.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1563 on: March 13, 2017, 10:26:25 PM »
Agreed. Best player in the top half of the world by a distance.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1564 on: March 13, 2017, 11:07:18 PM »
By the way, just started listening to the Rugby Pod.  Admittedly my first one, but very entertaining and they're surprisingly candid with their stories and occasional in-depth analysis.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1565 on: March 16, 2017, 01:50:53 PM »
Billy V and Watson back. Tough on Hughes.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1566 on: March 16, 2017, 02:12:07 PM »
Billy V and Watson back. Tough on Hughes.

Eddie Jones has said as much himself but 1 starting the other finishing, either way teams have 80 minutes of facing a world class 8 who can give everything.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1567 on: March 16, 2017, 02:27:46 PM »
I'd be very surprised to see Billy V come off. I'd rather him be the finisher against a tiring irish side than Hughes. i think Watson for Nowell is a huge statement of intent.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1568 on: March 16, 2017, 05:30:04 PM »
The Irish bench looks shit and the backs are full of midgets.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1569 on: March 16, 2017, 05:33:48 PM »
I'd be very surprised to see Billy V come off. I'd rather him be the finisher against a tiring irish side than Hughes. i think Watson for Nowell is a huge statement of intent.

Billy isn't fit enough for 80 minutes at this level yet, about 55-60 at most.  I also think Hughes is better in a more open game because he's a great ball player and has an ability to open holes around the fringes with quick passes and offloads.

Watson is in because he's very good under the high ball and Ireland plan their game around an effective kick and chase, the hope is that Watson and Daly carry a few back and make them kick for safety more than to attack us.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1570 on: March 16, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »

Billy isn't fit enough for 80 minutes at this level yet, about 55-60 at most.  I also think Hughes is better in a more open game because he's a great ball player and has an ability to open holes around the fringes with quick passes and offloads.

Watson is in because he's very good under the high ball and Ireland plan their game around an effective kick and chase, the hope is that Watson and Daly carry a few back and make them kick for safety more than to attack us.

Agree, Paul.
Have to say I thought it odd to replace Nowell, but, I was assuming Daly wouldn't be fit.
It does make perfect sense, though, given Daly is fit

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #1571 on: March 16, 2017, 09:32:36 PM »
In the future I'd prefer to have Watson (or Daly) at fullback and drop Brown.  Nowell has that element on mongrel that Brown possesses however has much better awareness. 

Maybe, with Ireland's kicking game, Brown is worth his place on saturday however moving forward, his inability to off load, is restricting our attacking potential.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1572 on: March 16, 2017, 09:51:56 PM »
Long term I expect that'll be the plan.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #1573 on: March 16, 2017, 09:54:24 PM »
Long term I expect that'll be the plan.

Yup.  Age would probably dictate that anyway, however last week Brown's constant running into contact was frustrating to say the least.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1574 on: March 17, 2017, 05:29:04 AM »
No idea what Watson is like under the high ball but with Brown, Watson, and Daly running back at you (as derided as Brown has been) that is as formidable a trio as you will see returning the high ball in Northern rugby and, without a scrap of evidence, in world rugby.

On another note - if we do win the Grand Slam, is this the end for Robshaw? if we lose then holes can be picked and something with teh forwards wouldn't have clicked (you'd imagine) so he has a shout. Win and with Kruis to come back in, it's hard to see where Robshaw could go.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal