collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Clampy
[Today at 05:13:27 PM]

Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 05:10:29 PM]

FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:07:35 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Cliftonville Villlain
[Today at 04:54:01 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R24;Europa Conf🏆 QF ASTON VILLA v Lille OSC! 🥧 by Louzie0
[Today at 04:43:48 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Edvard Remberg
[Today at 04:31:41 PM]

MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 04:26:39 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 04:25:59 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Clampy
[Today at 05:13:27 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 05:10:29 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:10:10 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 05:08:40 PM]

Re: FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:07:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Ads
[Today at 05:02:40 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 04:59:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 04:54:20 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 390064 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1545 on: March 11, 2017, 04:48:38 PM »
This is more like it, JJ has been unplayable and for our 3rd the timing of the passes and running lines beautiful.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1546 on: March 11, 2017, 06:48:46 PM »
Ireland can fire on as many cylinders as they like next week, England will win.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1547 on: March 11, 2017, 07:02:36 PM »
Ireland can fire on as many cylinders as they like next week, England will win.

If England put in another display like today I don't think there's a team in the world that could compete other than NZ.  People will talk about missed tackles but that really is missing the point, the running lines and delayed passing meant our runners were taking the ball at full pace and with space to go in or out and then they targeted the weak shoulder and broke the line, it's very hard to do anything about it when a team is playing at that level and a 40 point win against the side ranked 5th in the world really shouldn't be understated, we were absolutely exceptional.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1548 on: March 11, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »
Certainly didn't see that score coming before KO.
Imagine the score had the Scottish player been red carded, as he should have been!!

JJ looked a man on a mission after being left out last week. His lines were sublime.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1549 on: March 12, 2017, 12:23:38 PM »
Scotland really did fancy their chances but unfortunately for them they ran into England when we played brilliantly. Unhappy with the ease of their 3 tries but that's a minor blip on a day where we were on another level.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1550 on: March 12, 2017, 02:33:07 PM »
Scotland really did fancy their chances but unfortunately for them they ran into England when we played brilliantly. Unhappy with the ease of their 3 tries but that's a minor blip on a day where we were on another level.

It makes me wonder whether they underestimated England a touch.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1551 on: March 12, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »
England had started slow in the other games but a combination of the early yellow, Scotland forgetting how to tackle and the return of JJ mad this a completely different game to the others

Online paul_e

« Reply #1552 on: March 12, 2017, 04:14:10 PM »
England had started slow in the other games but a combination of the early yellow, Scotland forgetting how to tackle and the return of JJ mad this a completely different game to the others

It's not that they forgot how to tackle.  the fundamental problem was they picked 3 7s in the hope that they could kill the breakdown and create a lot of turnovers.  We planned for that and played with Ford and Farrell both standing very flat.  What that does is mean that if you have carriers like our pack who run through the tackler you make their 7s all have to run round to the back foot which nullifies them.  With those 3 chasing shadows around the fringes there was loads of space in the 12-13 channel and a runner like JJ will exploit that space for fun.  If you watch it back on the 5-6 clean breaks from JJ (4 of which were tries) they never got him lined up to tackle it was always the sort of desperate lunge you do when you know you've been beaten.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1553 on: March 12, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »
They could have lined him up all game, but, JJ's lines were superb and the dummy runners and passing from both George and Farrell held up the defence brilliantly

Online paul_e

« Reply #1554 on: March 12, 2017, 07:05:25 PM »
They could have lined him up all game, but, JJ's lines were superb and the dummy runners and passing from both George and Farrell held up the defence brilliantly

That's what I mean, the way we played meant there was always a weak shoulder for him to target.  You'd normally angle him out and let the back row drifting across cover the inside line but they had no back row cover so the defenders had to try to read his line and he's too good for for that if he's hitti ng the ball at full pace on the gainline.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1555 on: March 12, 2017, 07:25:55 PM »

That's what I mean, the way we played meant there was always a weak shoulder for him to target.  You'd normally angle him out and let the back row drifting across cover the inside line but they had no back row cover so the defenders had to try to read his line and he's too good for for that if he's hitti ng the ball at full pace on the gainline.

Exactly right, Paul.
His line for his 3rd try was sublime. I think it caught everyone out, even us watching on TV. I've watched it few times now and still nearly miss it.

I think he could have had his name penciled in for the Lions on that performance.

Offline peter w

« Reply #1556 on: March 13, 2017, 05:40:18 AM »
What was impressive also was that the 3 times Scotland scored we immediately went down the other end and scored also. At no point could they think that they would have a platform to get some set-pieces going because we were just so well drilled. As paul mentioned earlier, and as Eddie Jones said, they knew that Scotland would try and go hard in the middle which would create a softness around the flanks which we exploited.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1557 on: March 13, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
Scotland's pick and go was probably the best aspect of their game, they executed it well and a bit of a shame we couldn't have kept at least one of their tries out. JJ was clearly MotM but I thought Hartley was immense, probably one of his best games as captain, Launchbury was also huge yet again.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1558 on: March 13, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
Plenty of praise for Farrell and Ford as well. When they are that flat I would back us to destroy any opposition.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1559 on: March 13, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »
In years gone by I would expect us to falter when we play Ireland but with Jones in charge I think we will win...He has changed many things but it's the mentality that he really seems to have changed...An incredible self belief that if you stick at it the result will come.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal