collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381555 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1260 on: November 20, 2016, 03:33:58 PM »
Ford potentially leaving Bath could have an impact too.  Where he goes and what affect that has on his development could make or break his career.

I agree but I don't see much in the rumours for now, they came about because his dad got sacked, he's in contract until 2018 and Bath don't want him to go.  I doubt anything will change next summer at least and then we'll see.  If he does move on I think Tigers would be a bad decision but I don't know if anywhere in England would be a good move for him, Saints would probably be the best but I'm far from convinced it would be right for him.

He has activated a clause in his contract which means he can re-negotiate/leave at the end of this season.  Bath reckon they can still command a fee so far from definite that he will be leaving.  Saints would be a very good fit.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #1261 on: November 20, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
I think Farrell has stepped up in the past year.  I think his improvement is 50% because of Saracen's dominance but also 50% because Farrell has looked at Ford's game and identified areas he needed to improve.  He will always be the better post kicker however he's getting close to matching Ford's attacking play, especially ball in hand.

Too often, under Lancaster, England would be dominant but not turn positions into 7 points.  I don't think that would be the case now.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1262 on: November 20, 2016, 03:41:50 PM »
I know, about the clause, I just don't see how it will play out, that's what I mean, the whole thing is a mess.  My concern with linking anyone to saints right now is that I don't think Mallinder will be there next season and that leaves a lot of questions to be answered.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1263 on: November 20, 2016, 05:01:57 PM »
That's an advert for british gas not the interview!!

Oops, cheers mate, bit of a URL faux pas 😯

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1264 on: November 20, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »
Post match interview

What was the dig at Wales?

I suspect it was Jones's belated response to Gatland's comments regarding England's whitewash of Australia and Gatland saying that Australia weren't all that, obviously Wales got beat by Australia again last week so just a friendly dig at Gatland and his one dimensional Wales team.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1265 on: November 20, 2016, 06:46:17 PM »
He also said they were complacent against Japan.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #1266 on: November 20, 2016, 07:30:20 PM »
I didn't see any of the Ireland v All Blacks game but two Kiwis have been cited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38045809

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1267 on: November 21, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
I didn't see any of the Ireland v All Blacks game but two Kiwis have been cited.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38045809

Didn't watch this so I as waiting for some highlights before commenting.

however I haven't found any that cover them so full game it is:
- I won't embed it - EDIT: it appears I have no choice in the matter, ah well, that's new since the great blackout.

1st one is about 12:45 in and I think he'll get away with it.  It's clumsy but his left arm wraps and right shoulder makes contact with the head after.  To give him a ban they'd need to believe that contact is intentional and I'm not sure they can do that.

2nd one is tougher about 1:04:45, should've been red rather than yellow at the time for me.  It's dangerously high, is a professional foul (in that there's a try scoring chance if he doesn't make contact) and is a straight arm with no attempt to wrap it.  I suspect a 2-3 game ban for that one and a telling off for the ref and touch judge for only giving a yellow, nasty challenge.

Other comments - 2nd try is controversial, I'm not sure if he grounds it, I'm pretty shocked that the ref asks the TMO if he's certain and gets a yes in response, it's borderline at best. 3rd try should never have been allowed, the last pass/offload goes forward and from the shape of his body when he releases there's absolutely no chance of it going level/back.  Shocking decision to allow it for me.

Onto England, I think Launchbury is fucked with his citing, definite ban coming there I'm afraid, no excuses his foot/shin clearly makes contact with the head. 2-4 weeks I'd guess given he has a good reputation.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1268 on: November 21, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »
Gloucester are willing to throw a few bob at a decent 10 this summer according to my man ITK there. Taking Ford off Bath would be nice.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1269 on: November 21, 2016, 06:42:34 PM »
And there you go, 2 weeks for Launchbury, no shock at all. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38058098

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1270 on: November 21, 2016, 07:32:44 PM »
Good timing for Kruis to come back.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1271 on: November 22, 2016, 08:08:27 PM »
Rokoduguni and Goode sent back to their clubs.

I thought they they had decent games.

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #1272 on: November 22, 2016, 09:41:49 PM »
Gloucester are willing to throw a few bob at a decent 10 this summer according to my man ITK there. Taking Ford off Bath would be nice.
Sorry CL, I think he's destined for the AJ Bell Stadium and Sale - New owners can at last get Sale up to approaching the salary cap for the 1st time in living memory. Bath won't let him go back to Leicester, so would agree it will come down to Glawster or Sharks.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #1273 on: November 22, 2016, 11:07:15 PM »
Sorry CL, I think he's destined for the AJ Bell Stadium and Sale - New owners can at last get Sale up to approaching the salary cap for the 1st time in living memory. Bath won't let him go back to Leicester, so would agree it will come down to Glawster or Sharks.

Why not Saints?  They typically run at a profit and have numerous new youth players so the salary cap should not be a problem, plus the fact that Myler has been 'steady' for the past few seasons without ever looking top class.  From my perspective, albeit local, they are a bigger club too.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1274 on: November 22, 2016, 11:30:59 PM »
You seem to have come round to Farrell a bit Paul, how come?

Missed this one.  Simply he's grown up.  He had a chip on his shoulder when he broke through which caused him to do stupid things and meant his all round game wasn't international standard but he got picked because of his kicking.  He's a far more rounded player now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal