collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 385914 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1245 on: November 14, 2016, 02:50:45 PM »
No idea what it looked like on TV but how the hell was Ben Youngs not MOTM?   

His dummy to set up the Ford try was one of the most outrageous I've seen for many a year. The look of bemusement on the Bok bloke's face was superb

du Toit - how they thought he was suitable to have as a flanker I'll never know, far too slow (and immobile) to be a modern back row, compare and contrast with Robshaw and Wood.

I have never played the game though I enjoy the internationals, and I honestly thought du Toit sold himself far too easily, good dummy though it was.

Absolutely, he was  areal weak link for them as a fringe defender

Online paul_e

« Reply #1246 on: November 19, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
Some truly brilliant play from England so far but this is showing the reason why Fiji haven't been invited into the Championship yet, totally out of their depth defensively.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1247 on: November 19, 2016, 04:25:51 PM »
Some ropey defending in the middle of the game but that's another showing of why we're such a good side, we have so many threats.  Roko was outstanding, Daly and JJ were excellent and the pack were as solid as always.  We had 10 minutes either side of half time where the levels dropped and they scored a few which needs to be dealt with but there are a lot of positives there.  We have genuine competition for places all across the backline now, which is great.

Online nigel

« Reply #1248 on: November 19, 2016, 05:11:13 PM »
Some ropey defending in the middle of the game but that's another showing of why we're such a good side, we have so many threats.  Roko was outstanding, Daly and JJ were excellent and the pack were as solid as always.  We had 10 minutes either side of half time where the levels dropped and they scored a few which needs to be dealt with but there are a lot of positives there.  We have genuine competition for places all across the backline now, which is great.

Very much my take on it, too.
Game was pretty much over after 15 mins.
I also thought George Ford had a good game, he run the backs excellently, again.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1249 on: November 19, 2016, 05:37:29 PM »
Yeah, I should've included Ford as well but I focused on the players who seem to be less secure in the team from the backs.  I'm still not convinced by Goode, 2-3 times he tackled high on players much bigger than him and got bounced, unforgivable in a fullback and that adds to a shocking start under the high ball in the first minute.  He did ok going forward but I don't think he's good enough, expecially with the competition available, to be picked for that alone.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1250 on: November 19, 2016, 09:39:08 PM »
Given how many first choice players were out it was a great result. Jones has also had a dig at Wales. He is absolutely the man to make England great again.

Online nigel

« Reply #1251 on: November 20, 2016, 11:55:49 AM »
Post match interview

What was the dig at Wales?

Online paul_e

« Reply #1252 on: November 20, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »
That's an advert for british gas not the interview!!

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1253 on: November 20, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »
The strength in depth of the England squad is exceptional.  What is required now, to close the gap with NZ, is for 5 or 6 of the squad to become genuinely and constantly world class. 

Online paul_e

« Reply #1254 on: November 20, 2016, 01:58:04 PM »
The strength in depth of the England squad is exceptional.  What is required now, to close the gap with NZ, is for 5 or 6 of the squad to become genuinely and constantly world class. 

I honestly don't know how big that gap is any more. I also don't think we're far off from your requirement.  That are genuinely world class I think you have Itoje, Billy V and Watson as definites and Farrell is very close.  I'd then say that Kruis, Launchbury, Lawes, Hartley, Ford, Robshaw and JJ are all capable of world class performances but maybe not consistently enough.  I think that's a hell of a base to work from and I suspect Daly will add his name to the world class list before long and if Roko keeps going as he is he'll be there as well.

In the backs I find it quite stunning that if you were to pick our best backline now you end up with Slade, JJ/Daly (there's nothing between them for me, this is the biggest selection headache he has right now), Nowell and May fighting over 2 bench spots, that is ridiculous depth, all of those would start regularly for most other national sides.  Then on top of that you have people like Robson and Cipriani not even making the squad.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #1255 on: November 20, 2016, 02:09:45 PM »
Tuilagi too.  He's the forgotten man nowadays which might be a good thing as he can concentrate on developing his game rather than being the big hope for English rugby.

From the above do you eventually see Slade playing inside centre and one of Ford/Farrell being dropped?

Online paul_e

« Reply #1256 on: November 20, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
Tuilagi too.  He's the forgotten man nowadays which might be a good thing as he can concentrate on developing his game rather than being the big hope for English rugby.

From the above do you eventually see Slade playing inside centre and one of Ford/Farrell being dropped?

I think 10/12 is going to be very interesting over the next few years.  Ford and Farrell have shown their quality at this level but Slade is superb and then you have Cipriani as the best 10 in the league and Mallinder as the most exciting young back in the country. I wouldn't want to predict the starters in those positions come the World cup, it's going to be some really tough calls.  9 is interesting as well because he can't ignore the form of Robson for much longer and once he gets in I suspect he'll very quickly make the position his own.  Robson has a big advantage of being a converted 10 which means his game is much more rounded than most English SH's.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #1257 on: November 20, 2016, 02:19:46 PM »
Ford potentially leaving Bath could have an impact too.  Where he goes and what affect that has on his development could make or break his career.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1258 on: November 20, 2016, 03:30:12 PM »
Ford potentially leaving Bath could have an impact too.  Where he goes and what affect that has on his development could make or break his career.

I agree but I don't see much in the rumours for now, they came about because his dad got sacked, he's in contract until 2018 and Bath don't want him to go.  I doubt anything will change next summer at least and then we'll see.  If he does move on I think Tigers would be a bad decision but I don't know if anywhere in England would be a good move for him, Saints would probably be the best but I'm far from convinced it would be right for him.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1259 on: November 20, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
You seem to have come round to Farrell a bit Paul, how come?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal