collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 387452 times)

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: International Rugby
« Reply #1200 on: October 11, 2016, 07:59:52 AM »
Either New Zealand are a bit good, or Di Matteo has taken over as Springboks coach.

A bit of both to be fair, this is the same bok side that deservedly lost to Japan remember. New Zealand are the world number one, quite clearly, and England are the world number 2, again quite clearly.  After that you have a bunch of sides who can match those 2 in 1 off games (maybe) but are a long way short of being able to hit that level consistently.  SA are just in that group but only if they can put out their best 15.

The All Blacks have a scarily good squad at the moment and that's the big difference between them and everyone else. All the changes they make during a game makes they stronger as they are replacing world class players with players just as good. There is lots of competition for places at the moment and they could probably field three teams that would beat most other countries (sadly). 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1201 on: October 11, 2016, 09:19:38 AM »
Either New Zealand are a bit good, or Di Matteo has taken over as Springboks coach.

A bit of both to be fair, this is the same bok side that deservedly lost to Japan remember. New Zealand are the world number one, quite clearly, and England are the world number 2, again quite clearly.  After that you have a bunch of sides who can match those 2 in 1 off games (maybe) but are a long way short of being able to hit that level consistently.  SA are just in that group but only if they can put out their best 15.

The All Blacks have a scarily good squad at the moment and that's the big difference between them and everyone else. All the changes they make during a game makes they stronger as they are replacing world class players with players just as good. There is lots of competition for places at the moment and they could probably field three teams that would beat most other countries (sadly). 

I agree, that's why England are 2nd as well, The 2nd 15 would be a match for most sides.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1202 on: October 11, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »
I was going to post something similar. Kvesic would be an automatic pick for most international sides by way of example. He can't get in our squad.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1203 on: October 11, 2016, 06:41:48 PM »
I was going to post something similar. Kvesic would be an automatic pick for most international sides by way of example. He can't get in our squad.

Ben Morgan is 3rd choice at 8, Lawes struggles to make the bench, Cipriani can't make the squad.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #1204 on: October 11, 2016, 06:47:59 PM »
And all of them piss over Scotlands options, by way of example.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1205 on: October 25, 2016, 02:11:59 PM »
Just under 3 weeks now until England start their Autumn Internationals at Twickenham with the visit of the Springboks. 

Let's have your predictions for the series as follows.....

November 12 England v South Africa 14:30 Twickenham

November 19 England v Fiji 14:30 Twickenham

November 26 England v Argentina 14:30 Twickenham

December 3 England v Australia 14:30 Twickenham

A tough opener and closer and the Pumas won't be easy, neither will the physicality of the Fijians, a proper good test of Eddie Jones' & Englands credentials coming up. 

I'll go with.....

England to beat SA by 6
England to beat Fiji by 18
England to beat Arg by 10
England to beat shackle dragging convicts by 38

Offline nigel

« Reply #1206 on: October 25, 2016, 06:46:30 PM »
With all the injuries in various positions I think all games could be a lot closer, John.

I can't wait to see our back row, we could very well be fielding 3rd/4th choices in those positions.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1207 on: October 25, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »
Sunday was my first visit to HQ in 30 years.

Not impressed at all

A poorly designed mass of concrete

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1208 on: October 25, 2016, 08:00:26 PM »
Beat SA by about 10
Beat Fiji by 20-25
Beat Argies by 15
Beat Aus by 7

SA look a weak side, I think I might have been a bit generous to them if I'm honest.  We'll batter Fiji, they haven't got the pack to compete with us.  Argies are better than ever but they're still very reliant on their pack and our backline will pick them off.  Aus is the tougher one to call, we mullered them in the summer but with Itoje missing I do wonder if we'll be able to boss them at the breakdown.  I think the final tour game (40-44) is the one that we should be looking at for hints and I expect a big scoring game.

In terms of injuries it's only really 7 that's got big question marks.  The announcement of the squad tomorrow will be very interesting.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #1209 on: October 25, 2016, 08:00:55 PM »
Ashton seems to have given up on playing for England again - signed for Toulon for next season.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1210 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:09 PM »
Ashton seems to have given up on playing for England again - signed for Toulon for next season.

I think England gave up on him first when he didn't get included in the summer training squad.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1211 on: October 26, 2016, 10:15:42 AM »
Squad for Autumn internationals.

Forwards

Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Teimana Harrison (Northampton Saints), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Ben Morgan (Gloucester Rugby), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Tommy Taylor (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints)

Backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Alex Goode (Saracens), Mike Haley (Sale Sharks), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Marland Yarde (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1212 on: October 26, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »
Very disappointed with his choices at 9, he's getting very close to having to give up any suggestion of picking players on form, Care in particular has been in poor form for about 18 months whilst Robson is clearly the best 9 in the country.

I'm worried we're going to see Robshaw at 7 where he's been proven to be totally out of his depth but we'll see.  On the wings it will be interesting, I suspect Yarde and 1 from May or Roko.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1213 on: October 29, 2016, 03:05:14 PM »
There's a interesting interview with Jones on the Beeb about Wood who he calls a 6 and a half (same as Robshaw) where he seems to suggest that he could play Wood and Robshaw at 6 and 7 but then he also says Harrison is probably the first choice at openside.  It's all very interesting because I think he sees Wood as an option for his ability in the line out but knows that Harrison would give us better balance in open play.  Should be interesting but I can already see him picking a 6/2 bench so he can have harrison/wood and hughes without giving up cover in the front 5.  If he sticks with ford, farrell and JJ as the midfield I suspect we'll see Slade or Daly on the bench along with Care to give him the best options.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1214 on: November 05, 2016, 06:20:49 PM »
How shit were Wales today?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal