collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 12:01:33 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by OCD
[Today at 12:01:08 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by AV82EC
[Today at 12:00:49 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by The Edge
[Today at 11:59:39 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:59:29 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by chrisw1
[Today at 11:59:03 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Rigadon
[Today at 11:58:39 AM]

Re: NSWE Investment by OCD
[Today at 11:57:52 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 387327 times)

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
« Reply #570 on: October 20, 2015, 12:17:49 PM »
Not seen the game/decisions but you just know the Ref had a shocker when the most one eyed Aussie TV sports anchors admit they got lucky.  Even Mrs Ozvilla did a double take!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #571 on: October 20, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »
I think World Rugby releasing the statement they made about Joubert is just shocking. It was a mistake made without the benefit of a load of replays, and for which the rules do not allow a referral to a TMO. It's unfortunate it was at a key moment of the game, but there's no way he should be getting the flack he is. I notice there hasn't been much mention of the very slight knock-on from Genia which he did spot and check to prevent Scotland going further behind.

I understand it's frustrating, but the criticism has got way out of hand. It's always easy to make these decisions based on loads of replays from different angles. But you can't be referring every decision or the game would go on for about a week.

He's got away with only being slagged off for one decision. The Aussies scored two tries which could've been knock-ons and he booked a guy for nothing. If that's a "deliberate knock-on" then it would be every single time somebody attempted to intercept the ball but failed to catch cleanly.

The penalty at the end I can forgive. The sheer number of fuck-ups made is shameful.

For the yellow card, I thought it was harsh, I'd have given a penalty but not the yellow card.  My reasoning is, if you're trying to catch the ball in that situation you get a hand under it the ball goes up before going to ground, that didn't happen so I don't buy the idea that he was trying to catch it, he was stopping the ball going beyond him and hoping he'd get a chance to catch and counter, that's a different thing.  At this point it's a yellow card in every way, however I also think he had his hand out long before the pass was thrown and it was thrown deliberately to 'tempt' him to bat it away and for that reason I'd scale it back to a penalty.

The 2 knock on tries I'm not even sure which you're talking about, I've watched every try and the one I'd call most controversial was the first scottish try which I've seen given as side entry plenty of times because the centre doesn't come in through the 'gate'.

I think the penalty at the end is wrong and the yellow card is harsh (but understandable) so I think the degree of criticism is actually a bit over the top.  This is watching it back with fresh eyes though, at the time I thought he'd been horribly biased.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #572 on: October 20, 2015, 12:33:55 PM »
I think if you look at the player's hand his fingers are facing back towards his own try line so he's trying to scoop and catch the ball. If he was deliberately knocking on, he'd have had an open palm or fingers facing the other way.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:36:44 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #573 on: October 20, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »
The path of the ball is the main decider though really, when it goes to ground like that you get done for intentional knock-on.  As I say, I think it was harsh and a penalty (or maybe a penalty try, not sure how much cover there was behind) would've been sufficient but it's far from the worst mistake I've seen in this world cup.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #574 on: October 20, 2015, 01:34:10 PM »
I think World Rugby releasing the statement they made about Joubert is just shocking. It was a mistake made without the benefit of a load of replays, and for which the rules do not allow a referral to a TMO. It's unfortunate it was at a key moment of the game, but there's no way he should be getting the flack he is. I notice there hasn't been much mention of the very slight knock-on from Genia which he did spot and check to prevent Scotland going further behind.

I understand it's frustrating, but the criticism has got way out of hand. It's always easy to make these decisions based on loads of replays from different angles. But you can't be referring every decision or the game would go on for about a week.

I agree.  How is it being reported elsewhere in the world?

I suspect that a fair chunk of the hysteria is because they want to keep the RWC in the news.  ITV will be desperate for ratings and I'd guess there's no shortage of typically underworked experts that are taking advantage of the publicity. 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #575 on: October 20, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »

He's got away with only being slagged off for one decision. The Aussies scored two tries which could've been knock-ons and he booked a guy for nothing. If that's a "deliberate knock-on" then it would be every single time somebody attempted to intercept the ball but failed to catch cleanly.

The penalty at the end I can forgive. The sheer number of fuck-ups made is shameful.

The reaction and being hung out to dry by his bosses is still out of order. Thing is with those types of knock ons it's a very fine line, because it's also very easy to stick your hand out and claiming you're trying to catch the ball without having much change of catching it. I didn't agree with that decision, but I wonder what the reaction would have been if it had been the Australian winger who had been sin binned.

Offline nigel

« Reply #576 on: October 20, 2015, 10:32:53 PM »
If the boot had been on the other foot would the Scots be complaining?
I haven't heard them moaning about when their prop conned the ref into thinking Australia collapsed the scrum to get penalties which were thus kicked!!!
The TV panel agreed these scrum collapses were not penalties against Australia, the Scottish pundit even laughed and said 'it's not a penalty, but, we'll still take it'

Offline nigel

« Reply #577 on: October 20, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
Excellent piece by Lewis Moody,

I am very surprised how the rugby world has reacted to Craig Joubert. Some of the criticism is crazy. Yes the decision to run of field was a strange one but until we know why let's not jump to conclusions.

Ultimately he Is not allowed to consult the TMO on these matters the rules prevent it. The reality is a Scottish player knocked it on and a Scottish player in front played it. Penalty!

In my opinion Phipps didn't play the ball it mealy bounced of him.

The best case for Scotland could have been a scrum to Australia that is if Joubert had in deed been allowed by the rules to consult the TMO. However I feel the TMO still would have awarded the penalty.

The sad reality is in knock out rugby you have to nail your basics had Scotland who had been outstanding for 78 mins hit the easy throw In the rain and not stretched the jumper on a long throw the game probably would have been there's.

By missing the jumper they put the decision out of there hands.

Let's hold our selves to higher standards in rugby and not jump on the easy band wagon of criticising the ref who like all of us is only human and trying to officiate what was an incredible game of rugby.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #578 on: October 22, 2015, 03:17:01 PM »
Bloody stupid time to be kicking off the RWC semis.

Saturday's starts at around half time of the Villa game. Sunday's starts during the NFL at Wemberleee.

Its almost as if they didn't take my whereabouts into consideration

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #579 on: October 22, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »
I've lost interest anyway. If they're going to fix it so that Australia make it through they may as well kick off at Melbourne time.

(Still bitter)

Offline peter w

« Reply #580 on: October 22, 2015, 08:00:50 PM »
I've lost interest anyway. If they're going to fix it so that Australia make it through they may as well kick off at Melbourne time.

(Still bitter)

You've got it all wrong. When talking football with jocks they revel in their ability to fuck it up. Seriously, if you were in a qualifying group with Andorra, Lapland, and Melchester Rovers you'd find a way to fuck it up. Its shaped you as people. You should be happy and congratulate your brethren from somehow  managing to truly show what it is to be Scottish, to always fuck it up no matter how hard you try.

And I mean that with the utmost respect. I thought I'd want you to lose, and I did, until the end seeing the effort that you'd put in and that you might pull it off and I wanted you to do it. Joubert aside all it took was to catch your own line-out. You didn't and the whole Joubert thing should never have even been allowed to have happened.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #581 on: October 22, 2015, 08:25:52 PM »
The Scottish Rugby Team tend to do okay at World Cups. Only one Group Stage elimination in all the competitions. It's the football team that always find a way to fuck things up.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #582 on: October 22, 2015, 10:07:17 PM »
God almighty I just saw a rumour linking Gatland with England. No fucking thank you.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #583 on: October 23, 2015, 08:21:23 PM »
The Scottish Rugby Team tend to do okay at World Cups. Only one Group Stage elimination in all the competitions. It's the football team that always find a way to fuck things up.

Really? How many times have they won it? Record against the tri nations? I guess it depends what your definition of success is, beating Samoa?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #584 on: October 23, 2015, 11:50:03 PM »
They're not brilliant but that doesn't make them bottlers as Peter W suggested. Beating Samoa, finishing second in the group and being very unlucky not to beat Australia is far better than losing all six games, even against Italy, in the Six Nations.

They've never done badly or lost to an embarassing team in the World Cup but have lost to Italy in the 6N loads of times.

Hence they do well in the World Cup, given the restraints of general shiteness.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal