collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 381638 times)

Offline cheltenhamlion

Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
« Reply #555 on: October 19, 2015, 06:08:28 PM »
Fuck that. He presides over their functional up and under shit.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #556 on: October 19, 2015, 07:36:59 PM »
So the fate of Lancaster is to be decided by Ian, Ian, Ian, Ian and Ben...

http://www.englandrugby.com/news/rfu-names-review-panel/

I can accept 4 of them but why the fuck is Ian Ritchie included in a review that, fundamentally, is deciding whether he can continue in his own job (given he's on record as saying England not winning this world cup would be his responsibility).  I'd have liked them to get someone a little more 'progressive' involved in the review in his place, maybe even a foreign influence for a bit of balance.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #557 on: October 19, 2015, 07:41:25 PM »
2 Six Nations, 2 heineken cups, a Pro 12, European Challenge Cup and a Top 14 (albeit as assistant coach). I really don't think England are in any position to get sniffy about a coach with that sort of pedigree. He's got a tiny pool of players to work with in ireland, so it's not surprising that he's gone for a brand of rugby that suits them, I think he'd have the versatility to get any team playing to their particular strengths. I'm not convinced that he'd take the job, mind.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #558 on: October 19, 2015, 07:53:20 PM »

I can accept 4 of them but why the fuck is Ian Ritchie included in a review that, fundamentally, is deciding whether he can continue in his own job (given he's on record as saying England not winning this world cup would be his responsibility).  I'd have liked them to get someone a little more 'progressive' involved in the review in his place, maybe even a foreign influence for a bit of balance.

Mcgechan, in spite of his status, is an odd one. He was part of the team who picked Lancaster.

Online paul_e

« Reply #559 on: October 19, 2015, 08:25:43 PM »
I still believe that the choice of Lancaster, much like Villa with Sherwood, was the easiest option so they just ran with it.  I've said it a few times I think there's a lot of similarities between the problem at Villa and England rugby.  There's loads of potential but it needs a manager who can work with the players to bring that out and in both cases they had an initially popular manager whose reputation took such a battering that 'anyone but him' became appealing so a quick and easy replacement was put in and saw promising early results only to completely collapse when the pressure came on.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #560 on: October 19, 2015, 08:35:54 PM »
Joubert decision wrong say World Rugby, that's his career over then.

Shame the FA don't do rulings on referees following their fuck ups.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #561 on: October 19, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
Garces and Barnes have the semi finals, so I expect that means Nigel has the final

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #562 on: October 19, 2015, 09:08:50 PM »
I still believe that the choice of Lancaster, much like Villa with Sherwood, was the easiest option so they just ran with it.  I've said it a few times I think there's a lot of similarities between the problem at Villa and England rugby.  There's loads of potential but it needs a manager who can work with the players to bring that out and in both cases they had an initially popular manager whose reputation took such a battering that 'anyone but him' became appealing so a quick and easy replacement was put in and saw promising early results only to completely collapse when the pressure came on.
As a matter of interest, who do you think would suit the role? I'm not a big rugby fan, but I can't think of (m)any english coaches that would be equipped for the role. Would you look abroad?

Online paul_e

« Reply #563 on: October 19, 2015, 09:18:41 PM »
I'm honestly not sure, I think Mallinder has his eye on the job and he's the best English option.  Abroad it gets more difficult, I think I'd wait until after the world cup to make a decision right now.

Online lovejoy

« Reply #564 on: October 19, 2015, 09:29:43 PM »

Mcgechan, in spite of his status, is an odd one. He was part of the team who picked Lancaster.

I think Earl Warren must be unavailable.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #565 on: October 20, 2015, 10:03:35 AM »
I think World Rugby releasing the statement they made about Joubert is just shocking. It was a mistake made without the benefit of a load of replays, and for which the rules do not allow a referral to a TMO. It's unfortunate it was at a key moment of the game, but there's no way he should be getting the flack he is. I notice there hasn't been much mention of the very slight knock-on from Genia which he did spot and check to prevent Scotland going further behind.

I understand it's frustrating, but the criticism has got way out of hand. It's always easy to make these decisions based on loads of replays from different angles. But you can't be referring every decision or the game would go on for about a week.

Offline Monty

« Reply #566 on: October 20, 2015, 10:08:14 AM »
I agree Paul. It's fine to criticise him a bit for the decision (and what's-his-name in the TMO for the sin-binning, as Joubert initially saw nothing wrong with that), but it has gone a bit mad, conspiracy theories and so on.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #567 on: October 20, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
I agree Paul. It's fine to criticise him a bit for the decision (and what's-his-name in the TMO for the sin-binning, as Joubert initially saw nothing wrong with that), but it has gone a bit mad, conspiracy theories and so on.

For all the ex pros blathering on about how the whole thing was disgraceful, and going against the "rugby ethos" is pretty ironic.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #568 on: October 20, 2015, 11:57:53 AM »
I think World Rugby releasing the statement they made about Joubert is just shocking. It was a mistake made without the benefit of a load of replays, and for which the rules do not allow a referral to a TMO. It's unfortunate it was at a key moment of the game, but there's no way he should be getting the flack he is. I notice there hasn't been much mention of the very slight knock-on from Genia which he did spot and check to prevent Scotland going further behind.

I understand it's frustrating, but the criticism has got way out of hand. It's always easy to make these decisions based on loads of replays from different angles. But you can't be referring every decision or the game would go on for about a week.

He's got away with only being slagged off for one decision. The Aussies scored two tries which could've been knock-ons and he booked a guy for nothing. If that's a "deliberate knock-on" then it would be every single time somebody attempted to intercept the ball but failed to catch cleanly.

The penalty at the end I can forgive. The sheer number of fuck-ups made is shameful.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #569 on: October 20, 2015, 12:06:55 PM »
The binning for the deliberate knock on was down to the TMO. Joubert was just going to give a scrum, which would have been the correct decision. Yes, the bloke went for the ball with only one hand but you can't always use two. Its not as if he swatted the ball forward just as an opposition player was about to receive a try scoring pass (it looked like there was defensive cover to me).

I was reading earlier in the RWC that TMO's have certain words that they use to tell the ref that he should make a certain decision.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 12:09:05 PM by UK Redsox »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal