collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: International Rugby  (Read 386115 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Rugby World Cup 2015
« Reply #405 on: October 08, 2015, 11:01:08 AM »
I reckon Burgess might well become an excellent 6 if he stays in Union.

The problem with a league convert going into the forwards is that they have to learn how to deal with the breakdown very quickly.  Given that is England's weakness I'd want to see him single-handedly demolishing teams before i gave him a shot there at international level.

Oh I wouldn't be rushing him in, I'd give him a whole year playing 6 for Bath to learn the game before he gets back near the England squad. Then he'd have another three years development under his belt after that before the next World Cup.

His coach at Bath (Ford) was very quick to come out and say that he'll be playing flanker next season. 

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #406 on: October 08, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »
If he can learn the breakdown he would be a great 6. Stick Kvesic the other side and that is a very different back row proposition.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #407 on: October 09, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »
What with the Celts obsession with everything England especially these last few weeks, as much as it hurts every fibre in my body I'd just like to wish Australia all the best this weekend but even more I'd like SA to utterly humilate them the following week. 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #408 on: October 09, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »
I have money on Australia, so I probably want them to win. But ultimately I'm now a southern hemisphere fan in this World Cup, as I just don't want any of the northern hemisphere teams to win, especially Wales. I really dislike Wales style of Rugby.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #409 on: October 09, 2015, 10:21:39 AM »
I have money on Australia, so I probably want them to win. But ultimately I'm now a southern hemisphere fan in this World Cup, as I just don't want any of the northern hemisphere teams to win, especially Wales. I really dislike Wales style of Rugby.

Australia, South Africa, France in that order.  Fuck the Irish and the Welsh and double fucks to the Kiwis, the cheating fuckers.  I also have money on Australia.  I'd accept France winning because maybe England would then realise that it's the highest standard league in the world (not the best, the English league is much better to watch) and we really shouldn't have a problem picking players from there.  I'd also like to see the northern hemisphere start to even up the split of trophies.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #410 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »
My daughter informed me a couple of weeks ago that her husband had been given two tickets for the Ireland France match in Cardiff.  She told me today that the value of the tickets were £250 each, corporate I would imagine.  She told me today that they can't go, for several reasons, one being that the kids are unwell with Chickenpox, they couldn't get accommodation and the logistics staying elsewhere were very difficult.  She was to be seated next to Ed Sheerin apparently, she's gutted.  Hubby handed the tickets back.

Online paul_e

« Reply #411 on: October 09, 2015, 12:10:52 PM »
Have been avoiding looking at the squad for tomorrow for as long as possible but I couldn't stop myself any more:

BACKS Alex Goode; Anthony Watson, Henry Slade, Owen Farrell, Jack Nowell; George Ford, Danny Care.

FORWARDS Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Dan Cole, Joe Launchbury, Geoff Parling, James Haskell, Chris Robshaw (capt), Nick Easter.

Replacements Jamie George, Joe Marler, David Wilson, George Kruis, Tom Wood, Richard Wigglesworth, Jonathan Joseph, Mike Brown.

So nothing on the line in a game where we should be looking at 50+ points and he still feels the need to pick Farrell, choosing to drop Joseph instead and continue with an inside centre who can't fucking pass.  The sooner this chancer fucks off back to teaching history the better.

I see also that Jim Mallinder has put himself forward for the job in a 'at some point in the future' manner, if we're going English then he's genuinely the only decent option so I'm happy to see that he's not ruling it out, he's a coach who understands the need for quick ball so I suspect we'd see a proper 7 and 9, 10 and 12 who can pass the fucking thing.  I also think the Sarries obsession would ease off which can only be good for the game, I don't care if they won the league, they did it by having a big pack, picking tacklers in the centres and kicking the ball to the wings, it's not a tactic that will ever work at international level, you need to have a threat through the middle or you become predictable.

Offline DaveD

• Twitter
  • GM : 26.12.2015
« Reply #412 on: October 09, 2015, 03:04:25 PM »
Totally agree, Farrell at 12 is a baffling selection, Slade & JJ would have made more sense. Would have liked to have seen Watson switched to full-back. And it would have been a good opportunity to try Burgess at 6.

And yes, I really wanted Mallinder to get the job last time and I see no reason to change that view.

Online paul_e

« Reply #413 on: October 10, 2015, 02:58:31 PM »
Brilliant 20minutes from Samoa, ripping the Scots to Ribbons.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #414 on: October 10, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »
The Scots are so sluggish. Samoa have so much pace and direction, Scotland are flat-footed and disorganised.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #415 on: October 10, 2015, 03:00:08 PM »

Come on Samoa, would love Japan to make it through.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #416 on: October 10, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »

Come on Samoa, would love Japan to make it through.

Scots down to 14, to compound the disadvantage they already had of playing in Macron shirts.  Like to see Samoa put more than a score between them and Scotland before HT, because I fancy the Scots will be much stronger as the game wears on.

Online paul_e

« Reply #417 on: October 10, 2015, 03:16:57 PM »
The Scots are so sluggish. Samoa have so much pace and direction, Scotland are flat-footed and disorganised.

The problem is Samoa are so expansive that they're leaving holes. It's making a great game though.

Pisi x2 and lee-lo have been brilliant in the midfield.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #418 on: October 10, 2015, 03:22:14 PM »
Have to say the Scottish coach looks much better on Celebrity Juice.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #419 on: October 10, 2015, 07:03:59 PM »
Good.

15 v 13 and you still can't score.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal