collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Idrissa Gueye - now gone  (Read 163021 times)

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Idrissa Gueye - now gone
« Reply #1170 on: September 13, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »
From the bit I seen, the last 25 minutes, he looked very industrious.  But then you consider that he was up against Sunderland who were woeful all over the pitch.  They're so down already.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1171 on: September 13, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »
From the bit I seen, the last 25 minutes, he looked very industrious.  But then you consider that he was up against Sunderland who were woeful all over the pitch.  They're so down already.

They're always down already at this point of this season, only to miraculously haul themselves free at the death.

Offline maigrait

• GM : 12.07.2019
« Reply #1172 on: September 13, 2016, 09:32:59 AM »
He was good last night. Only a few misplaced passes... Seems to fit in with Everton and is surrounded by better players than we had. Good luck to him - he'll be a fan favourite before too long.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1173 on: September 13, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
He was good last night. Only a few misplaced passes... Seems to fit in with Everton and is surrounded by better players than we had. Good luck to him - he'll be a fan favourite before too long.
A few misplaced passes?  Gardner was crucified for one.

Gueye is a decent player, shame we couldn't keep him.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1174 on: September 13, 2016, 10:18:40 AM »
He's ok, when the shit hits the fan though he gives up, not my kind of player.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1175 on: September 13, 2016, 10:20:41 AM »
Thought Gana's motivation was a big problem here. He has ability but he didn't half down tools when we went 1 down. Be interested to see what he's like when Everton go on a bad run and lose a couple.

I'm not sure he would have managed the ball-winning stats he did if that was the case, given how often we went a goal down relatively early on. I actually think it was a mental issue of a different kind - that he often tried to do much when we got into a hole, and made silly mistakes both defensively and passing-wise as a result, which helped build the narrative that he was a terminally shit passer.

He would've looked much better if his midfield partners had some creativity, but alas, we had Westwood and Sanchez.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1176 on: September 13, 2016, 11:44:14 AM »
I think Amavi staying fit and getting Bacuna at RB and getting them both to pump it into the box as often as possible would've helped as well.  Not a  tactic I particularly approve of but if Gestede is your only proper striker you have to give him crosses.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #1177 on: September 13, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »

I think he's been crucified for being shit.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #1178 on: September 13, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »
It's never good seeing players we've let go doing well - more for what it says about the absolute car crash of a club that we were.  Let's hope that he's the last one that we regret letting go as a result of the Lerner debacle.

Offline Bottom Right 89

« Reply #1179 on: September 13, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »
None of us should be surprised by Gana's improvement, he was one of the only players in our apocalypse squad worthy of staying in the premier league but put it this way if I was given the choice of keeping either Gana, Veretout, Amavi or Ayew I think we kept the right ones.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1180 on: September 13, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »

I think he's been crucified for being shit.
No, in the last game there was plenty of comments about him doing pretty well.  But also a few focusing on one misplaced pass on the edge of the opposition box that in some minds seemed to become the main reason we didn't win.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #1181 on: September 13, 2016, 06:00:50 PM »
Gana is a good player. Unfortunately he was coached and managed by complete idiots last season. To top it all, Fox inserted a stupid release clause less than we paid for him. All these crazy anomalies are gradually coming out in the wash. I absolutely detest Lerner for the untold damage caused under his last 5 years of so called leadership.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1182 on: September 13, 2016, 07:17:37 PM »
It's been said many times, his clause would have been what he was worth on the books with a year of his contract run and in there as a counter to any relegation wages drop.  We wiped our feet on him.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1183 on: September 13, 2016, 09:17:11 PM »
It's been said many times, his clause would have been what he was worth on the books with a year of his contract run and in there as a counter to any relegation wages drop.  We wiped our feet on him.

Or the clause was in euros given it was the currency he was familiar with and the 15% drop between signing him and selling him seems to match the difference in fees that have been suggested.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1184 on: September 13, 2016, 09:49:48 PM »
Started off well enough for us but then went MIA. Before the pundits start queuing up to drop to their knees before his unzipped thunder-rod, they might want to wait and see if he can keep his form going.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal