collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

MOTD by PeterWithe
[April 28, 2024, 11:07:30 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by SaddVillan
[Today at 12:44:12 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Re: Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Skerra
[April 28, 2024, 11:28:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[April 28, 2024, 11:20:28 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[April 28, 2024, 11:16:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jordan Amavi - gone again  (Read 208862 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Jordan Amavi - Sold
« Reply #1425 on: July 08, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »
He's so rubbish it's only smallfry like Sevilla who are desperate enough to take him off our hands.

Wouldn't surprise me if within 2/3 years Amavi, Gueye and Veretout are all playing Champions League football.   Would surprise me if we're saying the same about Neil Taylor, Glen Whelan and Elmohamady.

That's great, but it's what happens this season in the Championship that is more of a concern to us really. 

Downgrading the playing staff and hoping to do better isn't the way to go really.

Downgrading?

I'm not sure I've seen anything of Amavi that would indicate he's half as good as the excellent Taylor.

Absolutely, hence Taylor moving to one of the most successful clubs in Europe over the last few seasons for £8m so he can play in the Champions League next season.

Actually hang on...

Amavi moving to us in our absolute (modern day) nadir somewhat negates that argument doesn't it? Its' all about opinions of course, but for me   he was massively shit in most games in saw him in.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1426 on: July 08, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »
Horses for courses for me. Team to get you up, team to keep you up, team to challenge. SGT played a blinder in that respect.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1427 on: July 08, 2017, 08:45:21 PM »
Thought he was desperately poor last season & didn't show anything that suggested he was improving after his injury troubles.

Think Dr Tony's biggest mistake since he took over was mentioning 'that' offer whether it was true or not - he absolutely hadn't grasped that football fans will cling to that info & judge the player by it.  For what it's worth I don't think there would have been a scenario in Jan that any offer of 10m+ would have been rejected.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1428 on: July 08, 2017, 09:12:28 PM »
He's so rubbish it's only smallfry like Sevilla who are desperate enough to take him off our hands.

Wouldn't surprise me if within 2/3 years Amavi, Gueye and Veretout are all playing Champions League football.   Would surprise me if we're saying the same about Neil Taylor, Glen Whelan and Elmohamady.

That's great, but it's what happens this season in the Championship that is more of a concern to us really. 

Downgrading the playing staff and hoping to do better isn't the way to go really.

Taylor performed far better at left back than Amavi last season and I know which one of the two I would prefer there this coming one.  I wish Amavi well, but I don't think it was ever really going to work out for him here. 

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1429 on: July 08, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »

It is but it shouldn't be but for some reason we've become so inured to short-termism that anyone who looks like they need a year of coaching is 'fucking shit'.

Amavi can be a very good player if he finds a manager willing to actually offer some coaching and tactics.  Gana has already shown that he is good in a decent, well managed, team and I suspect Veretout will prove the same.  This is why I was against Bruce, he wants to sign players who are 'finished articles' so he can get away with doing very little on the training ground, it might work but it's all very mon-like and it appears we haven't learned a fucking thing from the mess he made.

Getting out of this division is the be-all and end-all this season though Paul.  We can't afford to have a few seasons where we allow players to bed in. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1430 on: July 08, 2017, 09:20:17 PM »
Sevilla are in the CL so Amavi will be playing in it soon.

Are they though?

Don't they have a qualifying round first.

Yes. To both. Even if it is a qualifier, Sevilla are in the competition.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #1431 on: July 08, 2017, 09:22:01 PM »
Everything about him intimated a world class player, apart from his actual ability. Bye.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1432 on: July 08, 2017, 10:13:30 PM »

Downgrading?

I'm not sure I've seen anything of Amavi that would indicate he's half as good as the excellent Taylor.

Absolutely, hence Taylor moving to one of the most successful clubs in Europe over the last few seasons for £8m so he can play in the Champions League next season.

Actually hang on...

Amavi might have potential, we've not seen It, certainly not defensively. Hes nowhere near as good as Taylor, who many were wrong about.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1433 on: July 08, 2017, 10:30:04 PM »

It is but it shouldn't be but for some reason we've become so inured to short-termism that anyone who looks like they need a year of coaching is 'fucking shit'.

Amavi can be a very good player if he finds a manager willing to actually offer some coaching and tactics.  Gana has already shown that he is good in a decent, well managed, team and I suspect Veretout will prove the same.  This is why I was against Bruce, he wants to sign players who are 'finished articles' so he can get away with doing very little on the training ground, it might work but it's all very mon-like and it appears we haven't learned a fucking thing from the mess he made.

Getting out of this division is the be-all and end-all this season though Paul.  We can't afford to have a few seasons where we allow players to bed in. 

That was the excuse for short term thinking last season as well and then if we get promoted it'll be "staying up is the most important thing" and we'll muddle along exactly as we were before relegation.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1434 on: July 08, 2017, 10:33:26 PM »

That was the excuse for short term thinking last season as well and then if we get promoted it'll be "staying up is the most important thing" and we'll muddle along exactly as we were before relegation.

I think we can worry about how we do in the Premier League when we get there Paul. 

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1435 on: July 08, 2017, 11:22:30 PM »

I think we can worry about how we do in the Premier League when we get there Paul. 

You're doing a great job of proving my point

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1436 on: July 08, 2017, 11:30:19 PM »

You're doing a great job of proving my point

Your point isn't a valid one though.  You're suggesting that we run the risk of lingering in the Championship while we wait for the likes of Amavi and Veretout to improve enough to get us out of it. 

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1437 on: July 08, 2017, 11:49:43 PM »
Amavi has talent and could become a good player, problem is that it's mainly based on his potential. Of 2 years ago. In an ideal world we'd stick with him but when you're stuck in Division 2 with FFP issues you don't always have that luxury. We also don't know if said he was unhappy and wanted to move, not saying that happened, but that potentially forces your hand as well.

And that Sevilla are signing him and he'll probably play in the CL doesn't automatically mean he's a good player. CL sides buys loads of players over the years that never amount to much. The Djemba twins at Man Utd is an obvious example.

I said in the transfer thread, if Amavi had spent 2 years at say Norwich, and had an identical injury and performances for them, how many would want us spending £8m on him?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1438 on: July 08, 2017, 11:54:46 PM »
Amavi has talent and could become a good player, problem is that it's mainly based on his potential. Of 2 years ago. In an ideal world we'd stick with him but when you're stuck in Division 2 with FFP issues you don't always have that luxury. We also don't know if said he was unhappy and wanted to move, not saying that happened, but that potentially forces your hand as well.

And that Sevilla are signing him and he'll probably play in the CL doesn't automatically mean he's a good player. CL sides buys loads of players over the years that never amount to much. The Djemba twins at Man Utd is an obvious example.

I said in the transfer thread, if Amavi had spent 2 years at say Norwich, and had an identical injury and performances for them, how many would want us spending £8m on him?

I am with PWS. If he stays he stays and I wish him all the best. If he goes he goes and I wish him all the best. But either way I will not be crying myself to sleep at night.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1439 on: July 08, 2017, 11:57:36 PM »

Agree with that PWS and on the face of it, he's probably one of the few sellable assets we have at the club forcing our hand even further.  It didn't work out for him with us, but I wish him well and it will be interesting to see how he gets on in Spain. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal