collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Micah Richards - Released  (Read 455637 times)

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
Re: Micah Richards - Released
« Reply #2850 on: October 03, 2021, 12:57:13 AM »
He's entitled to his own revisionism and POV as regards the merits of the worst Villa team most of us will hopefully ever see.

He was little more that a vastly overpaid court jester during his time with us by the sounds of it.  No argument at all from me on that one.

But it's interesting that he at least seems to feel bad about how it all turned out - and wishes he had a game or two for this current side to show his worth.

Compare and contrast to the likes of Platt, Keown and Ray Houghton.  Who achieved far more in a Villa shirt. But seem to view their time with us as a grind. On the rare occasions they ever speak about us at all.

The cynic in me could think there is media merit in his broadening/deepening/maintaining his connection with us to give him relevance as a pundit, especially now we are on the up.

Yet I’m totally open to taking him at his word that he regrets the utter mess his time was with us, but I don’t begrudge him accepting lucrative deals or status positions (Christ he was Captain, amazing what you block out.)
Terrible decisions were mainly our club’s not his.

The Ledley King comment above is spot on. No doubt he had that precedent in mind, but neglected to notice he wasn’t a centre back. The moving central away at Luton in the cup under DiMatteo did ‘coincide’ from it shifting from feeling like an exhibition match against lower league opposition to getting absolutely mullered by them. He helped make my first night in what later became my adopted home town Luton (at a horrific air BnB My Dad dropped me off at - the landlords first and last attempt) especially miserable.

Yes dim judgement over Tim; should own his mistakes of arguing with fans if he persists in banging on about his time with us.

I’d be more concerned of the revisionism over Garde who was so badly hung out to dry, though acknowledge he hasn’t found his way anywhere since (did Villa break him?).

I forget the narrative that goes against Richards’ innocent bystander shtick; realising I missed this from February

Guess it depends if you want to believe Micah Richards or Keir Wyness I guess

Aplogies for seeing your Daily Heil and raising you an Evening Fail, I’d not read this before. I’m actually getting more sympathy for him
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-wyness-richards-19880465

Richards responded with: "What rubbish from your Keith! YOU GOT ME FOR FREE....knew my knee couldn’t do 2 games a week in the champ and had a chance to get me off the wage bill!! Did I or did I not come to office to your office on deadline Day????"

Richards came back again with: "THE POINT IS... I WAS THE SCAPEGOAT AND GOT ACCUSED OF BLEEDING THE CLUB DRY WHEN IN FACT I TRIED TO LEAVE 3 TIMES. HAD ABUSE EVER SINCE WHILST NOBODY AT THE TIME PROTECTED ME."

I’m not convinced West Ham could have been as stupid as we were, but in that spat he comes out of it much better I think.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #2851 on: October 03, 2021, 12:57:43 AM »
The bit that stands out to me from that interview is Smith coming in and calling it exactly how it is (was).
Absolutely. Very reassuring.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2852 on: October 03, 2021, 01:08:23 AM »
he is a skid-mark on the under-pants of a shitty few years.

Summed up for me.

The only thing to be gained from those few years were lessons from the mistakes we made - and he was one of those mistakes.

If he was so great for morale, as he claims, the fact that in the two seasons he actually played for us, we were relegated in 2015-16 (22 appearances) and finished 13th in the Championship in 2016-17 (31 appearances) - only to make the PO final the following season (0 appearances) and win the PO final the year after (0 appearances), makes you question the value of whatever 'morale' he was bringing.

I hold no personal grudge against him, but he was a shit signing, a shit player and a shit captain. Let him make a living by laughing boisterously on Match of the Day. I never watch it, and have no interest in anything he has to say.

(Apologies if the figures are incorrect, they're from Wiki - I don't recall him making anything like 31 appearances in the 2016-17 season.)

Offline Rory

« Reply #2853 on: October 03, 2021, 01:18:01 AM »
He's entitled to his own revisionism and POV as regards the merits of the worst Villa team most of us will hopefully ever see.

He was little more that a vastly overpaid court jester during his time with us by the sounds of it.  No argument at all from me on that one.

But it's interesting that he at least seems to feel bad about how it all turned out - and wishes he had a game or two for this current side to show his worth.

Compare and contrast to the likes of Platt, Keown and Ray Houghton.  Who achieved far more in a Villa shirt. But seem to view their time with us as a grind. On the rare occasions they ever speak about us at all.

I forget the narrative that goes against Richards’ innocent bystander shtick; realising I missed this from February

Guess it depends if you want to believe Micah Richards or Keir Wyness I guess

Richards responded with: "What rubbish from your Keir! YOU GOT ME FOR FREE....knew my knee couldn’t do 2 games a week in the champ and had a chance to get me off the wage bill!! Did I or did I not come to office to your office on deadline Day????"

Richards came back again with: "THE POINT IS... I WAS THE SCAPEGOAT AND GOT ACCUSED OF BLEEDING THE CLUB DRY WHEN IN FACT I TRIED TO LEAVE 3 TIMES. HAD ABUSE EVER SINCE WHILST NOBODY AT THE TIME PROTECTED ME."

To think, somebody in the BBC will undoubtedly have seen that and thought 'yep, this is the kind of articulate guy we want'.

Richards, Jenas, Murphy; compare him to our Dion, for example, and they are practically cavemen.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #2854 on: October 03, 2021, 01:54:11 AM »
In hindsight he was probably right we should have stuck with Tim.
Remi was without doubt the most ineffectual manager we have ever had.
He hasn’t moved on to prove his worth and fizzled out in Canada ffs.
He wasn’t a good manager that happened to take a tough gig. He was crap.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 01:58:44 AM by TonyD »

Offline Cliftonville Villlain

« Reply #2855 on: October 03, 2021, 01:55:03 AM »
Dion Dublin should be the benchmark for any player to get into punditry. Informative, knowledgeable and total understanding of the game and its players. Denis Mortimer is the benchmark for any aspiring Villa captain  of any era. Richards gets away with both. Close this thread. Please.

Offline Rory

« Reply #2856 on: October 03, 2021, 01:59:05 AM »
Dion Dublin should be the benchmark for any player to get into punditry. Informative, knowledgeable and total understanding of the game and its players.

Agreed, I love Dion.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #2857 on: October 03, 2021, 02:03:06 AM »
I don’t mind him as a pundit.
He isn’t great but it’s time the BBC shake it a bit.
Time for Gary and Alan to move on.  They have bored the shit out of me for years.
We need fresh new presenters.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:06:59 AM by TonyD »

Offline Rory

« Reply #2858 on: October 03, 2021, 02:06:16 AM »
Time for Gary and Alan to move on.  They have bored the shit out me for years.

They all bore me, to be fair.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #2859 on: October 03, 2021, 02:11:12 AM »
Time for Gary and Alan to move on.  They have bored the shit out me for years.

They all bore me, to be fair.
Yep the BBC need more dynamic and refreshing honest presenters that are not moonlighting for PayTv  and the bias that follows.

Offline john2710

« Reply #2860 on: October 03, 2021, 08:55:58 AM »
I couldn't stand watching him play, an absolute liability with none of the attributes required for playing at centre-half in the toughest league in the world. Never in the right place & constantly dragged out of position.

I can't stand watching the bloke on TV either. I just hope he doesn't become the go to pundit for us as we rise over the next few seasons.

He represents nothing that I'd associate with today's Aston Villa.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #2861 on: October 03, 2021, 09:05:37 AM »
Did he not stipulate that he would only play central defender instead of his best position as full-back?  If true, another example of the shit-show we were back then; allowing players to tell the manager where they would or would not play.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2862 on: October 03, 2021, 10:25:23 AM »
Dion Dublin should be the benchmark for any player to get into punditry. Informative, knowledgeable and total understanding of the game and its players.

Agreed, I love Dion.
Top bloke and eloquent, Darius also comes over well.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #2863 on: October 03, 2021, 11:14:07 AM »
Time for Gary and Alan to move on.  They have bored the shit out of me for years.

Alex Scott is nailed on to get MOTD when Lineaker goes, which can't be far off. He must be older now than what Jimmy Hill was when Des Lynam replaced him.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2864 on: October 03, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »

Alex Scott is nailed on to get MOTD when Lineaker goes, which can't be far off. He must be older now than what Jimmy Hill was when Des Lynam replaced him.

What has age got to do with it?  If he’s doing a good how old or young he is doesn’t come into it. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal