collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by tomd2103
[Today at 01:05:30 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by paul_e
[Today at 01:05:03 PM]

Champions League Contention by ChicagoLion
[Today at 01:04:39 PM]

Official Website by martin o`who??
[Today at 01:00:39 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by SoccerHQ
[Today at 12:58:34 PM]

VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:48:11 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:43:48 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:34:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192250 times)

Offline oldhill_avfc

Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #1185 on: March 15, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »
Ok - you're right.  They're world beaters.

I can only assume from your locations you've never seen them play.

FFS.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:09:17 PM by oldhill_avfc »

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1186 on: March 15, 2017, 11:26:46 AM »
As a season ticket holder I had the misfortune of watching them week-in and week-out.    They only needed to show a semblance of ability to catch the eye and they failed miserably. 

If they're doing better elsewhere now fair enough, it seems they might have found their level.  It doesn't alter the fact that the were garbage in the Premiership.

(And before anyone mentions we're now in the Championship can I remind you that non of the players who stayed, eg Westwood, actually shone in the Championship, so I can't see how they would benefit us in the this league either).

So they've found their level, in all cases it's higher than the one we're at, but they still aren't any use to us? Okay.

Whether their current level is higher is highly debatable...

It's not really. Not even a tiny bit. Playing for Fiorentina in the top half of Serie A is a demonstrably higher level than mid-table in the Championship. Playing in the knockout stages of the Europa League for St Etienne is demonstrably a higher level than mid-table in the Championship. Beating Barcelona is demonstrably a higher level than mid-table in the Championship.

And as for f*****g "Premiership"...

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1187 on: March 15, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »

I can only assume from you're locations you've never seen them play.

FFS.

Hey, thanks for misrepresenting the point I was trying to make, mate, really appreciate it.

Just because you want to be close-minded about this doesn't mean you're right to assume every other person on this board is.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1188 on: March 15, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
i don't know if Gil has improved since he went on loan or not
but i liked him when he was here anyway

we didn't get the best out of him (shock horror) but i enjoy watching players like Gil, Grealish Ayew, i know they go missing a lot in games but then its all about balance and these type of players need to play alongside strong midfield generals, and we had errr Westwood playing in the most lightweight midfield in living memory

maybe I'm in a minority but i go along to games looking forward to seeing the likes of Gil playing i don't go along thinking i cant wait to see Jedinak today or Thor although they can be equally as important

id have him back tomorrow but i don't think he would be much use to the current manager if I'm honest

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1189 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
As a season ticket holder I had the misfortune of watching them week-in and week-out.    They only needed to show a semblance of ability to catch the eye and they failed miserably. 

Yeah, Gil never showed a semblance of quality, did he?

How you can watch our grim, austere midfield for several years and not spot the quality in the above is beyond me.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #1190 on: March 15, 2017, 01:03:24 PM »
When any player we have doesn't play for us they seem to magically get better.

Cuellar was the prime example.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #1191 on: March 15, 2017, 01:04:30 PM »

I can only assume from you're locations you've never seen them play.

FFS.

Hey, thanks for misrepresenting the point I was trying to make, mate, really appreciate it.

Just because you want to be close-minded about this doesn't mean you're right to assume every other person on this board is.

I am closed minded for the following reasons:

Gill - he hasn't got enough pace to make space and create or deliver penetrating balls into goal scoring opportunities

Sanchez - he makes far too mistakes for a holding midfielder.  He gave away and more unforced errors than any other player I've seen in nearly 5 decades of watching live matches. 

Vertetout- Meh.  Lightweight.  Anonymous.  Didn't want to be here.  Unlikely to have mental strength for a fight in the Championship.  Unlike to be good enough for the premiership.  So don't want him back.

So there you go.  They're pulling up trees in places that don't matter to us.  I've given you good reasons why I'm glad to see the back of them,

You pays your money, you makes your choice.   

The current management don't seem to be in any rush to get them back and have paid good money for replacements.  Other managers (God knows why) have taken the likes of Westwood back into the Premiership weren't bothered the above.

Seems the professionals are as closed minded as me. 

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1192 on: March 15, 2017, 01:06:04 PM »

Yeah, Gil never showed a semblance of quality, did he?

How you can watch our grim, austere midfield for several years and not spot the quality in the above is beyond me.

He did not do it enough, but when he did it was quality

Remember he was here during a period of complete imbeciles as Managers

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1193 on: March 15, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »
On Deportivo, they seem to be a bit like a Midlands football "Island of Lost Toys".

Gil on loan from us, Joselu on loan from Stoke, Albentosa formerly of Derby, Ola John once of Wolves and managed by darling of the Albion Pepe Mel.

They beat Chris Jameson's Barcelona on Sunday. Not a bad result.

Eh?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1194 on: March 15, 2017, 02:58:53 PM »
Because we've been so lacking that kind of player I appreciate him even more. In fact I love him. I'd marry him if he asked me. But he won't. The bastard.

I no longer want to marry him.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #1195 on: March 15, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »

I can only assume from your locations you've never seen them play.

FFS.

What do you mean, "FFS"?! You can't have a "FFS"!! You can't try to round off a weak argument like yours with an immature post like that and then dish out a "FFS" as if we're the ones who are talking daft! That's someone else's "FFS" you're using there! FFS!

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #1196 on: March 15, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »
I was at pretty much every home game they played in.  On the whole they were woeful.

They've now found their level or at least a club they're suited to.

I can't see that, for the clear reasons I've given, that they would be of any benefit to us or any other club of a similar or higher standard playing in English football.

A few on here who either watch highlights or internet streams have a different opinion.

However, the professionals who watched them in training or scout them seem to agree with me.

That makes my argument robust.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1197 on: March 15, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
I was at pretty much every home game they played in.  On the whole they were woeful.

I can't see that, for the clear reasons I've given, that they would be of any benefit to us or any other club of a similar or higher standard playing in English football.

A few on here who either watch highlights or internet streams have a different opinion.

However, the professionals who watched them in training or scout them seem to agree with me.

There is nothing robust about your use of 'found their level' in context of saying they're not good enough for us when they are clearly all playing at a higher level than we're currently at and we haven't seen any of them play at this level.  If Gil, Veretout and Sanchez come back in the summer and we decide to give them all a go in this league then there's nothing from the seasons they're having this year to suggest they'd be incapable of doing a good job for us.

Also the bit about professionals is just silly, other professionals thought thy would all be good enough to play in the league above where we are and we have no idea why they're on loan.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1198 on: March 15, 2017, 06:16:59 PM »

How do you square that with Gueye, who would easily fall into the categories above and has been one of 7th placed Everton's best players in the Premiership (sic) this season?

Maybe there's a tiny bit more to it than your overly simplistic analysis allows?

Online Fasth56

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1199 on: March 15, 2017, 06:31:55 PM »

If you watch the Wyness interview on the Birmingham Mail, he states that all the loan players are monitored closely and if Bruce wants them back, back they will come, It's the managers decision, we will see in the summer if he thinks they can do a job.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal