collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by brontebilly
[Today at 02:31:02 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 02:30:28 PM]

Re: VAR by Drummond
[Today at 02:27:46 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 02:25:19 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:21:00 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 02:13:51 PM]

Re: VAR by paul_e
[Today at 02:09:51 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:08:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192307 times)

Offline Bottom Right 89

Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #1035 on: January 14, 2016, 01:51:22 PM »
We are talking about the same Carles Gil the little Spanish guy who could trap a bullet and scored our goal of the season? quality player and will be key to us winning the championship next season.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1036 on: January 14, 2016, 02:03:25 PM »
The very same Carles Gil that if Sherwood had created his own bomb squad would have been the first in it with Ayew and Veretout.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1037 on: January 14, 2016, 04:01:41 PM »
Gil's a good player but fitting him definitively into a system has proved tough. In no small part because Remi is still struggling to find the best 11 and best system we could play.

Gil has quality on the ball though. I do agree that the movement ahead of him isn't good enough. We have a midfield 3 and not one of them is breaking into the box with any regularity. That was a consistent failing against Palace. We got into good positions to deliver but Kozak and Ayew would ordinarily be alone in the box. I think with Veretout improving significantly in the last couple of months, I'd like to see him pushing forward more and making runs into the box so Gil can pick him out.

But these little floating players will often have games where they struggle to get into the match. Even Silva has games where he's very quiet. If a game gets scrappy, players like this get lost. However what Gil showed on tuesday, which I've yet to see from Grealish or Traore, is that he'll work very hard.

Particularly at home I think we need one of Gil or Grealish in the 11. Gil gets my vote right now. And again, we have to remember he's young and he's only just begun to have a bit of faith shown in him here.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1038 on: January 14, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
I like Gil. He has real technique and is an asset to the team.  Yes, he can get knocked off the ball easily as he's a bit lightweight and he has questionable pace but I do think think that if he was just 5% more efficient in those areas he most definitely wouldn't be playing for Aston Villa.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1039 on: January 14, 2016, 07:16:44 PM »
I'm not that much of a fan.  He has all the skill in the world, but gives the ball away far too often, and gets bullied too easily.  That said, we don't have anybody else in that role other than Grealish, and the least said about him at the moment, the better.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1040 on: January 14, 2016, 07:54:48 PM »
I'm not that much of a fan.  He has all the skill in the world, but gives the ball away far too often, and gets bullied too easily.  That said, we don't have anybody else in that role other than Grealish, and the least said about him at the moment, the better.
I think he's a player who will benefit from a proper run and a bit of faith. It's the only way he'll ever toughen up. At least he showed a willingness to put a shift in on tuesday, which will hold him in good stead.

Offline jd_villa

« Reply #1041 on: January 14, 2016, 08:21:02 PM »
I think the guy is a very very good footballer. But what is his best position for us? Middle of the park? Wide? Top of midfield? I cant work the guy out in this respect.

For me he would be the first name on the team sheet, but where I put his name is another matter !

Offline jd_villa

« Reply #1042 on: January 16, 2016, 06:31:18 PM »
having a shocker...............

I'll get my coat...........

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #1043 on: January 16, 2016, 06:55:04 PM »
Crap.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1044 on: January 16, 2016, 08:26:27 PM »

Pretty much saw that tonight, when Leciester got 2-3 round him he had no answer and frequently lost the ball.

Not a week in week out starter for me.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #1045 on: January 16, 2016, 08:29:21 PM »
Very flaky player. Not what's needed in a struggling team, he'd look good in a good team surrounded by like minded players. We need to get ugly, kick a few people and get the ball in the box at any opportunity, he doesn't fit into that.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #1046 on: January 16, 2016, 08:33:29 PM »
Don't really think we need to overreact about this - it just demonstrates that we need more options. He's a good player in some situations, and not so useful in others; there's still time to correct that, but for now, it's up to Garde to make the right decision as to when to start him and when to use him as an impact sub instead.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1047 on: January 16, 2016, 08:34:21 PM »
He's very frustrating to watch.  I'd be tempted to play Sinclair in his spot instead, as in my opinion Gil has been the worst player in the team for two weeks running.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #1048 on: January 16, 2016, 08:42:53 PM »
I'd be tempted to play Sinclair in his spot instead.
Let's not get silly now.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1049 on: January 16, 2016, 09:05:19 PM »
Very flaky player. Not what's needed in a struggling team, he'd look good in a good team surrounded by like minded players. We need to get ugly, kick a few people and get the ball in the box at any opportunity, he doesn't fit into that.

That's why he should've played more last year when Benteke hit form.

No issue if he's on the bench next week, don't think that will be his type of game at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal