collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192094 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #945 on: July 09, 2015, 09:58:15 PM »
Alpay and Mellberg were a very good partnership for a couple of seasons. He went off a cliff, but it wasn't 5.5m(?) badly spent.

Alpay was fine until he went to the World Cup, got chose in the team of the tournament and came back with a bigger head than Frank Sidebottom.

He was injured for a long time before then, miracuously recovered for the World Cup, then as you say, virtually going on strike into the bargain.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #946 on: July 10, 2015, 12:52:38 AM »
I'll add Nicky Shorey's name to the list of waste of money defenders though.  A panic buy by Pubehead, who turned out to be utterly useless.
I remember an interview with Steve Sidwell, who mentioned that he happened to be talking to O'Neill after training, O'Neill mentioned he was worried as the Bouma injury had thrown him a bit and that left-back was now a bit of a concern and he didn't really know who would be playing there in Bouma's absence.

Sidwell mentioned that Shorey had done a decent job in the same team as him at Reading, 72 hours later Shorey was a Villa player.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #947 on: July 10, 2015, 01:01:25 AM »
Alpay and Mellberg were a very good partnership for a couple of seasons. He went off a cliff, but it wasn't 5.5m(?) badly spent.

Alpay was fine until he went to the World Cup, got chose in the team of the tournament and came back with a bigger head than Frank Sidebottom.

He was injured for a long time before then, miracuously recovered for the World Cup, then as you say, virtually going on strike into the bargain.

The quote which sticks in my head from that time was "I can play for Leeds".

Decent player, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #948 on: July 16, 2015, 12:46:34 PM »
I'll add Nicky Shorey's name to the list of waste of money defenders though.  A panic buy by Pubehead, who turned out to be utterly useless.
I remember an interview with Steve Sidwell, who mentioned that he happened to be talking to O'Neill after training, O'Neill mentioned he was worried as the Bouma injury had thrown him a bit and that left-back was now a bit of a concern and he didn't really know who would be playing there in Bouma's absence.

Sidwell mentioned that Shorey had done a decent job in the same team as him at Reading, 72 hours later Shorey was a Villa player.

I remember that as well ..

Anyway back on topic

Gil going no where
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-portugal---carles-9668884#ICID=FB-Birm-avfc

Carles Gil is going nowhere and will be an integral part of the Aston Villa first-team next season, boss Tim Sherwood has revealed.

The Spaniard struggled to make an impact under Sherwood last term and was expected to move on this summer.

But since returning to pre-season training and spending ‘quality time’ with the 22-year-old here in Portugal, Sherwood has seen a different side to Gil.

His quality was never in doubt, but fitting him into a struggling Villa side was a risk, as the gaffer explained to the Birmingham Mail.

“He is going to play a lot more football this year because we’re not in that situation where it’s a relegation battle,” said Sherwood.

Sherwood said: “I’ve spoken to Carles, it’s hard for him to understand he’s not played and all of a sudden he will. That’s life.

“Hopefully he is (like a new signing).

“He has done well in pre-season, he’s come back and he really knows there is an opportunity there for him.

“I think he impressed the fans so much when he first signed because everyone else was so poor.

“He came in with a lot of freedom but even though it was working okay for him, the team were struggling.”

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:48:32 PM by David_Nab »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
Good news and sensible management now it has been explained.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #950 on: July 16, 2015, 12:53:11 PM »
Encouraging.

The Rehabilitation of Carles Gil

Wasn't that an album in the 90s?

Could compete for the grealish role I guess, unless we keep on playing two number tens.

Offline spangley1812

« Reply #951 on: July 16, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »
I would start him ahead of Jack

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #952 on: July 16, 2015, 12:58:01 PM »
You could imagine them playing nicely together though it's a bit of a luxury. You'd need a hard working midfield and they'd need to start scoring.

I think keeping jack on his toes is a good thing. I've still not seen Gil play as well as jack did around the time of the semi final though.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #953 on: July 16, 2015, 12:59:59 PM »
Good news and sensible management now it has been explained.

Brilliant news though I still fail to understand what Sherwood saw in Mr Cul-de-Sac.

I'm thinking Sherwood is going to give Grealish a little life lesson come the new season after the fun of the summer where he finds himself on the bench and Gil playing as the 10. Though they play on opposite sides I can't see him playing both at the same time.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2015, 01:05:35 PM »
Am I being presumptuous in thinking that Gil being in favour means N'Zog being out?
Very similar players for me but one has been tried and been poor, the other shown great promise when given a chance.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #955 on: July 16, 2015, 01:08:40 PM »
Am I being presumptuous in thinking that Gil being in favour means N'Zog being out?

We live in hope, Frank.

Offline alan_clarke

« Reply #956 on: July 16, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »
The Bournmouth goal aside my memories of Gill playing were of him looking very tidy in possession in our own half of the pitch.

With our new way of playing under TS, I'm looking forward to seeing the damage he can cause nearer the opposition's penalty box.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #957 on: July 16, 2015, 01:19:32 PM »
Good news and I have to agree with TS he looked good when first here as we were so very poor

The guy certainly has the talent and I agree would have him start first if he is directly up against Grealish

Offline IAmTheOneIanOlney

« Reply #958 on: July 16, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
Also from TS in that article:

“I see his best position as a No 10,” the manager said.

“Until we exhaust what he has to offer I don’t think it’s right to bring anyone else in to that position.

“He is a very technically gifted player.

“He has shown me a lot in this pre-season already that he can play and affect things for us.”

So with Grealish as well, we have a couple of good options for that role.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #959 on: July 16, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »
Good news and I have to agree with TS he looked good when first here as we were so very poor

The guy certainly has the talent and I agree would have him start first if he is directly up against Grealish

I would agree.Apart from the semi final I haven't been that impressed by Grealish

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal