collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192190 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #735 on: May 10, 2015, 08:13:51 AM »
Based on absolutely nothing, Sherwood may have though that this run of games up to the end of the season was too important to be integrating a new player and therefore has seen it as an opportunity to get Gil used to the club/players/language, indeed work on his core strength, as others mentioned, without the pressure of performing each week.  By the summer he should be speaking with a brummie accent and ready to go.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #736 on: May 10, 2015, 08:23:13 AM »
Based on absolutely nothing, Sherwood may have though that this run of games up to the end of the season was too important to be integrating a new player and therefore has seen it as an opportunity to get Gil used to the club/players/language, indeed work on his core strength, as others mentioned, without the pressure of performing each week.  By the summer he should be speaking with a brummie accent and ready to go.

It's not the worst theory, and I'm certainly hoping for it. I reckon he'll be very important as security in case Grealish (knock on wood) gets a niggle or goes through some typical young-player growing pains; and to keep CNZ on his toes. If we can get into Europe, he should be very valuable to have there as well.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #737 on: May 10, 2015, 09:48:29 AM »

It's not the worst theory, and I'm certainly hoping for it. I reckon he'll be very important as security in case Grealish (knock on wood) gets a niggle or goes through some typical young-player growing pains; and to keep CNZ on his toes. If we can get into Europe, he should be very valuable to have there as well.

I think TS doesn't believe Gill can play the high tempo we now have in our midfield. Also having Jack, Charlie and Gil in the midfield is one to many of the same type of player. Should be on the bench though

Offline supertom

« Reply #738 on: May 10, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
I think Cole is on the bench mostly for experience. He's had a couple of cameos when we've been up in games where he's come on and kept the ball well and just used his many years of experience to help us see out games. I don't think Gil could do that. Pre-season will be key. He'll adapt or he'll go and we'll always be left wondering. It's a shame because he looks immensely talented but for one reason or another he's not been able to break into the side. The Stoke game said a fair bit. He got bullied and retreated into his shell. By contrast you see Jack who's 12 years old and stands up to be counted. He gets knocked from pillar to post but never shies away from the ball or tries to evade a physical challenge. He's also really stepped up and become integral to how we're playing and he's influencing games so Gil has got his work cut out to get in the side. If Grealish gets injured I suspect Gil would get a chance because Cole isn't a 20 minute player.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #739 on: May 10, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
I think Cole is on the bench mostly for experience. He's had a couple of cameos when we've been up in games where he's come on and kept the ball well and just used his many years of experience to help us see out games. I don't think Gil could do that. Pre-season will be key. He'll adapt or he'll go and we'll always be left wondering. It's a shame because he looks immensely talented but for one reason or another he's not been able to break into the side. The Stoke game said a fair bit. He got bullied and retreated into his shell. By contrast you see Jack who's 12 years old and stands up to be counted. He gets knocked from pillar to post but never shies away from the ball or tries to evade a physical challenge. He's also really stepped up and become integral to how we're playing and he's influencing games so Gil has got his work cut out to get in the side. If Grealish gets injured I suspect Gil would get a chance because Cole isn't a 20 minute player.

I know it's a mistake but you're probably right, he's blowing after ten.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #740 on: May 10, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »

I think TS doesn't believe Gill can play the high tempo we now have in our midfield. Also having Jack, Charlie and Gil in the midfield is one to many of the same type of player. Should be on the bench though

Think there might be something in that.  Grealish works hard when we don't have the ball and I just wonder whether Sherwood feels that Gil would not offer that.   

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #741 on: May 10, 2015, 02:23:15 PM »
Cole is also unofficially mentoring Grealish so it makes sense that's he's involved more.

Gil I think will either move come back in pre season and integrate or go back to Spain. Maybe on loan?

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #742 on: May 10, 2015, 03:04:43 PM »
The one disappointment of Sherwood's tenure so far has been Carles Gil. The Spaniard is very popular with the supporters and you would hope that he would force his way back into the reckoning, perhaps off the subs bench. Yet the manager prefers Joe Cole which seems surprising.

I hope he doesn't let Carles go in the summer. Perhaps he needs time to adjust, he certainly has the skill factor required.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #743 on: May 21, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »
I hope Carles gets a game against Burnley (fingers crossed he starts ahead of Jack so that Jack is fresh and injury free for Wembley). I really hope he has a great future at the club. If I was Carles I'd be feeling pretty down in the dumps and it would be a nice bit of man management for him to have a bit of a lift before next season. I miss the little fella.

Offline warleyboy

« Reply #744 on: May 21, 2015, 01:37:31 PM »
I hope Carles gets a game against Burnley (fingers crossed he starts ahead of Jack so that Jack is fresh and injury free for Wembley). I really hope he has a great future at the club. If I was Carles I'd be feeling pretty down in the dumps and it would be a nice bit of man management for him to have a bit of a lift before next season. I miss the little fella.

Here here

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #745 on: May 21, 2015, 03:38:54 PM »
Agreed!

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #746 on: May 24, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »
Injured according to Sherwood.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #747 on: May 24, 2015, 07:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the goal Carles. Good luck back in Spain.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #748 on: May 24, 2015, 09:19:12 PM »
Injured according to Sherwood.

Where's he said that?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #749 on: May 24, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »
Hope he gets a move away if we're not going to give him a chance. He's just wasting his time here. Missed opportunity all round.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal