collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by OCD
[Today at 10:40:29 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 10:40:09 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Rotterdam
[Today at 10:35:10 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:31:59 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Dave
[Today at 10:27:30 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by paul_e
[Today at 10:25:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:24:40 AM]

Re: Loanwatch 2023/24 by johnc
[Today at 10:22:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192161 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #705 on: April 10, 2015, 11:24:33 PM »
It's a fair point to consider the Lambert effect and the stats don't look good for him as a substitute.

His stats as a central striker are based on 3 games and he actually rates higher as an attacking left midfielder, though based on only 1 game.

Gil's probably the better option as a substitute and whenever Weimann gets to start a game as a striker, he needs to grab the chance and start afresh under Sherwood.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #706 on: April 11, 2015, 01:06:23 AM »
His stats playing centrally for the last 4 years are ok so it's a much bigger sample than 3 games.  I think he probably needs to leave and have a new start to have a real chance though, there's too much history at villa now, I don't think he's anything like as poor as he's looked but he's got no confidence in himself and the fans have no confidence in him.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #707 on: April 11, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »
To much history?! He's been here 3 months!

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #708 on: April 11, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »

I think he may be on about Weimann. Honestly If a bid of £3-4m came in for Andy I'd take it. We need better striking options.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #709 on: April 11, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »
Who would give us that kind of money for him.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #710 on: April 11, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
Who would give us that kind of money for him.

I dunno, but didn't fulham spend 10m on a striker who has only ever played in the championship?
I reckon weimann at 5m would be a great buy for a Wolves/Ipswich/Derby/Forrest type club especially if they played him as a striker.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #711 on: April 11, 2015, 11:54:05 AM »

I think he may be on about Weimann. Honestly If a bid of £3-4m came in for Andy I'd take it. We need better striking options.

Yeah sorry, I did mean Weimann, I expect he'll be on his way this summer and I think 5-6m would be a fair price, if he is used properly I think he can regularly get 10-15 a season in this league but I just don't see it happening for him with us.

Gil I think will be more involved next season but I suspect he'll be set to working on his core strength over the summer, being small and agile is very useful but you need to have enough strength to not get knocked flying by every challenge and I don't think he has that.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #712 on: April 30, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
Torygraph

Carles Gil wants showdown talks with Tim Sherwood over Aston Villa future

Spanish midfielder and his agent will meet Villa manager next month after dismal start to his Premier League career

By John Percy

7:40AM BST 30 Apr 2015

Carles Gil is poised to hold talks with Tim Sherwood over his future as his move to Aston Villa threatens to turn into a nightmare.

Gil and his representatives are expected to meet Villa next month to discover whether the winger fits into Sherwood’s long-term plans after a difficult two months.

The £3.2 million buy from Valencia was Paul Lambert’s final signing before he was sacked and has played just an hour of football since Sherwood’s appointment in ­February.

His last appearance came as a substitute for the final two minutes of Villa’s FA Cup win against West Bromwich Albion in early March.

Gil was discovered by Paddy Reilly, the director of recruitment, and impressed under Lambert, scoring a stunning goal in the FA Cup victory against Bournemouth in January.

But he has struggled to make the 18-man squad under Sherwood amid suggestions that he lacks the qualities required for a relegation battle.

Sherwood admitted this month that he had “a lot of pretty much icing on the cake players” and it was believed to be a reference to Gil.

The winger, 22, is settled at Villa and determined to fight for his place but is keen to discover if he has a role to play next season.

Sherwood is expected to give all of his fringe players the chance to impress in pre-season, including many of those out on loan.

Gary Gardner has caught Sherwood’s eye during his spell at Not­tingham Forest and will be given an opportunity to stake a claim.

However, Sherwood is thought to have issues with decisions made before his appointment, such as the loaning of Darren Bent to Derby County and the £50,000 sale of the promising youngster Daniel Johnson to Preston North End.

Villa remain two points above the bottom three and face a crucial home game against Everton this weekend.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #713 on: April 30, 2015, 02:18:02 PM »
That was pretty much expected.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #714 on: April 30, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »
Oh dear. Can't say I blame the lad. One of the most exciting signings in recent years and overlooked for Joe Cole.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #715 on: April 30, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »
In fairness Joe Cole has done well in his cameos. I just hope that Sherwood is being fair on Gil. If Gil isn't performing in training and that's why he's not getting in that's fair enough, but if Sherwood has just decided he doesn't rate him that's not fair.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #716 on: April 30, 2015, 02:23:57 PM »
From the little I have seen of Gil in the famous Claret & Blue he definitely deserve at least a chance. He was one of the few bright slivers of hope throughout the dark last few months of Lamberts tenure. Would love to see him, Grealish, Sinclair and potentially one other (Zog?) fighting for two places.

Offline supertom

« Reply #717 on: April 30, 2015, 02:56:04 PM »
Interesting (if true) that Sherwood didn't like the sale of Johnson. I didn't either. In fact I didn't even realise till March that we'd sold him on. He looks very classy for Preston. Granted it's league 1, but from what I saw of him in two pre-seasons, he had plenty of ability.
Oh well.

I'm glad Gardner will get his chance though.

As for Gil, we shall see. He'll have to up his game in pre-season. He'll probably get a chance in the next four games, as undoubtedly we'll pick up injuries, so he'll have to grab it with both hands.
If you look at Grealish for example. He may be slight but he does put himself about and does work hard. And indeed Delph commented that he and Grealish are last to leave in training. That obviously is another reason why Grealish has pushed ahead of Gil in the pecking order.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #718 on: April 30, 2015, 03:02:43 PM »
Talking to a Preston fan last week who was gushing in his thanks to me about Johnson once I revealed I followed the Villa. It was almost all he talked about

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #719 on: April 30, 2015, 03:07:17 PM »
Johnson is doing well and i'm surprised he never had a run out here, at the same time he's 23 later this year so a bit old to still be a promising youngster in our reserves.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal