collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192248 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #450 on: January 18, 2015, 08:56:29 PM »
I got ridiculously excited when he dribbled past one of their players, with the ball under control and nearly got on the end of Wiemann's (misplaced) pass.  It was one run.  He beat one man.  And it was over in 3/4 seconds.  And I got THAT excited.

This is what it's come to watching our club!

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #451 on: January 18, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
He was like a breath of fresh air when he came on. I don't think he lost the ball once or misplaced a single pass.

The sad thing is that one memory that stands out is him moving to receive the ball from a throw in and being able to pass it forwards.

I am impressed by a throw in, that's how bad we are.

I was impressed when he took a throw in. No waiting about, no looking for Benteke to flick it on, no, straight to a Villa player in space. It was brilliant.

My God, the throw-ins thing. It's been driving me mad for years. To see Gil do that was just a reminder of how easy it is to get it right, and how stupid we've been generally for over a decade. Little things like that. It's infuriating.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #452 on: January 19, 2015, 07:25:46 AM »
How long until all the flair and genuinely exciting quality he showed at the weekend is a distant memory... Somewhere in a muffled threat comes a distant Scottish voice.. Pass it sideways ye little bassad and stop this dribbling past folk....

It comes to something when a really exciting new player my first thought is how long until Saint Paul ruins him.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #453 on: January 19, 2015, 09:16:28 AM »
How long until all the flair and genuinely exciting quality he showed at the weekend is a distant memory... Somewhere in a muffled threat comes a distant Scottish voice.. Pass it sideways ye little bassad and stop this dribbling past folk....

It comes to something when a really exciting new player my first thought is how long until Saint Paul ruins him.

Come on Ozz, Lambert has bought him because of these go forward skills.  There's no doubting we are a poor team etc, etc, but these comments are just having a go for the sake of it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #454 on: January 19, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
On a more serious note, Gil got Holte End backsides off seats with some of the things he did and every time he was on the ball, it was exciting to not know what he was going to do.

We have lacked that bit of off the cuff guile for a long, long time.

Online TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #455 on: January 19, 2015, 09:32:34 AM »
"I'll start to worry when we stop getting throw ins, I'm confident that we'll soon start to throw to our own players"

Offline Ads

« Reply #456 on: January 19, 2015, 09:39:37 AM »
Look! Look! Look! A footballer!

Offline Ads

« Reply #457 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »
Watching that gif. something rarer than a Villa midfielder driving the ball forwards to create a chance, after ebating a man stands out. For once, we have men comitted forward. There are five in the box, with Delph about to make six and both full backs are pushed right up.

That snapshot gives me hope.

Online Monty

« Reply #458 on: January 19, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
The pass after the skill was sharp. That's what can happen - if you beat the first man, the defender will have to come out to meet you, creating a space. That's called 'football', I believe.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #459 on: January 19, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
Gil is probably already thinking about the future and where he can onto next.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #460 on: January 19, 2015, 10:32:40 AM »
On a more serious note, Gil got Holte End backsides off seats with some of the things he did and every time he was on the ball, it was exciting to not know what he was going to do.

We have lacked that bit of off the cuff guile for a long, long time.
This.

Just hope he can maintain and deliver that something different/unexpected we all want to see and actually works against other teams.

Problem, imho, is that I think we do have players who can do much better than we see on the pitch every week but have been told to play it safe at all times. To create openings all teams have to take a risk. Other than just lumping it up to Benteke I mean!

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #461 on: January 19, 2015, 01:27:33 PM »
My best advice Carles, don't listen to a thing your manager says or asks you to do.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #462 on: January 19, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »

Come on Ozz, Lambert has bought him because of these go forward skills.  There's no doubting we are a poor team etc, etc, but these comments are just having a go for the sake of it.

It is really not though

Look at Weimann 3 years ago and now.

Look at Gabby

Look at Benteke

Look at Nzogbia in Lambert's first season, some of the goals we scored he was terrific in driving us forward.

Every ounce of forward skill and ability has been squeezed out of the side in his desperate attempt to make us more solid at the back, which fair play, we are, but he has got the balance so horribly wrong that players that looked like they would kick on are shadows of their former abilities, and that is saying something when you consider they were not actually that great to start with.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #463 on: January 19, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »

It is really not though

Look at Weimann 3 years ago and now.

Look at Gabby

Look at Benteke

Look at Nzogbia in Lambert's first season, some of the goals we scored he was terrific in driving us forward.

Every ounce of forward skill and ability has been squeezed out of the side in his desperate attempt to make us more solid at the back, which fair play, we are, but he has got the balance so horribly wrong that players that looked like they would kick on are shadows of their former abilities, and that is saying something when you consider they were not actually that great to start with.

It's not just the players. I used to be a confident, positive, vocal supporter, and now look at me.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #464 on: January 19, 2015, 02:03:39 PM »
Look! Look! Look! A footballer!

A midfielder laying a pass off and running into the box to receive the return ball?

Ha ha ha, what a load of nonsense that is.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal