collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by paul_e
[Today at 02:13:51 PM]

Re: VAR by paul_e
[Today at 02:09:51 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by ChicagoLion
[Today at 02:08:41 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by The Edge
[Today at 02:05:37 PM]

Re: VAR by chrisw1
[Today at 02:04:45 PM]

Re: MOTD by LeeB
[Today at 01:56:14 PM]

Re: VAR by LeeB
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: MOTD by The Edge
[Today at 01:51:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192295 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #375 on: January 14, 2015, 08:18:56 PM »
I appreciate that Lambert needs to trust his scouts, but surely Sanchez should have been one of the first people he consulted, by Tuesday the money was almost spent.
I remember that rumour from a few years back (hopefully false), that after Bouma got injured O'Neill didn't know where to turn for a new left-back - asked the players if they knew of anybody who might be good and Sidwell recommended Shorey. So O'Neill went out and bought him.

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #376 on: January 14, 2015, 08:35:12 PM »
Remember when we bought Sasha Curcic. Everything suggested he was going to be a huge success. And we know what happened.

Keep your expectations low chaps. Settle for a little bit of skill and effort. Might work well with Sanchez hopefully.

Offline silhillvilla

• GM : Dec, 2014
« Reply #377 on: January 14, 2015, 08:44:20 PM »
Has he been sent out on loan yet ?

Offline exigo

« Reply #378 on: January 14, 2015, 08:45:45 PM »
Has he been sent out on loan yet ?

Don't be daft, he's not even had his leg broken by Baker yet.

Offline passitsideways

« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2015, 09:13:00 PM »
"He gives us something that I think we've been crying out for - that creativity and spark - and that's what I think we've needed to finish off the work. We needed someone like him to unlock doors and make things happen.

That bit really worries me.  Does he genuinely believe that 1 player is going to turn us from completely toothless into a free scoring side that romps up the league?
My point on another thread.
Gil is not going to transform the way we play.
Lambert's post-match comments on Sat were stunning.
Apparently "we're not producing in the final third".
F**k me!
Has he only just noticed what we've all been seeing for at least 18 months?

And THIS is a strong reason why he has lost my faith in him...not necessarily because of what I see on the pitch, but because of the almost total lack of responsibility for it.

I would bet that he's been well-aware of it for ages (even though he mightn't have said anything publicly), but just has no idea how to fix it with the players we currently have.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »
"He gives us something that I think we've been crying out for - that creativity and spark - and that's what I think we've needed to finish off the work. We needed someone like him to unlock doors and make things happen.

That bit really worries me.  Does he genuinely believe that 1 player is going to turn us from completely toothless into a free scoring side that romps up the league?

That is probably the thing that scares me most about Lambert recently.

He says so many things which make you think "WTF? Does he really mean that?"

I find it hard to take anything he says seriously these days.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #381 on: January 14, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »

That is probably the thing that scares me most about Lambert recently.

He says so many things which make you think "WTF? Does he really mean that?"

I find it hard to take anything he says seriously these days.

He comes from the Martin O'Neill School of Talking Out Your Arse. The similarities are frightening.

Offline timeoutbigbar

« Reply #382 on: January 14, 2015, 11:07:57 PM »

F**k me!

And THIS is a strong reason why he has lost my faith in him...not necessarily because of what I see on the pitch, but because of the almost total lack of responsibility for it.

I would bet that he's been well-aware of it for ages (even though he mightn't have said anything publicly), but just has no idea how to fix it with the players we currently have.

That would have made for a frank press conference.  What is it he's supposed to say?  "We're in trouble, no two ways about it.  I've no idea what's going on, the lads have been excellent, we just can't put the ball in the net.  I've not a clue how to sort it out, the players are shit, I don't want my compensation so I'm walking away."

He's past the point of no return, whatever he says, so it really doesn't matter anymore.

At least we've got something to look forward to, seeing if Carles can make a difference.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #383 on: January 14, 2015, 11:08:35 PM »
I appreciate that Lambert needs to trust his scouts, but surely Sanchez should have been one of the first people he consulted, by Tuesday the money was almost spent.
I remember that rumour from a few years back (hopefully false), that after Bouma got injured O'Neill didn't know where to turn for a new left-back - asked the players if they knew of anybody who might be good and Sidwell recommended Shorey. So O'Neill went out and bought him.

That wouldn't surprise me. I heard he signed NRC and then saw him in training and wondered what he had got himself into. If there's truth to that story, it shows how much research he did on players before spending £8m+salary on them. Also heard stories about how he would record NFL games and then watch them Monday morning whilst the players trained.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #384 on: January 14, 2015, 11:24:46 PM »

F**k me!

That would have made for a frank press conference.  What is it he's supposed to say?  "We're in trouble, no two ways about it.  I've no idea what's going on, the lads have been excellent, we just can't put the ball in the net.  I've not a clue how to sort it out, the players are shit, I don't want my compensation so I'm walking away."

He's past the point of no return, whatever he says, so it really doesn't matter anymore.

At least we've got something to look forward to, seeing if Carles can make a difference.

I'm not a fan of the whole "don't tell me, show me" mindset because generally people who say things like that are the first ones to moan when nothing gets said.  That said in this instance he needs to show us, yes he's not had his "what I call a number 10" until now but buying a player to fill that role doesn't mean we'll suddenly be creative, the movement around the box is poor, the passing is slow and predictable, there's a clear reluctance to try to beat a man and force the play, everything is safety first.  He needs to show that he's willing to let the players off their shackles and start encouraging them to make things happen because right now he's strangled everything out of them, the squad so far this season hasn't been anything like poor enough to have a total of 12 goals in all comps, that's down to the manager having the mindset of playing for the clean sheet first and then try to sneak one at the other end.

Nothing he says hides that truth, that's what we are right now.

I'd actually have more respect for him if he was at least honest enough to admit that he sees getting a solid defence and 'giving ourselves a chance' as the right way for us.  At least then there'd be some consistency between what we see and what he says, that would give all of this some meaning.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #385 on: January 14, 2015, 11:27:44 PM »
Gabby even said in a post match interview after Liverpool I think it was, on the Tv that this is our style of play we will be keeping it tight and hoping to nick a goal, so it was out there in the open, it's a pre planned tactic that's backfired horribly so far.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #386 on: January 14, 2015, 11:29:26 PM »

That wouldn't surprise me. I heard he signed NRC and then saw him in training and wondered what he had got himself into. If there's truth to that story, it shows how much research he did on players before spending £8m+salary on them. Also heard stories about how he would record NFL games and then watch them Monday morning whilst the players trained.
It's the sort of thing that makes you wonder - how did O'Neill do so well with Leicester and Celtic? How did Lambert do so well with Norwich?

Surely it can't have been years of luck and coincidence? Does just arriving at Villa make them forget how to manage?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #387 on: January 14, 2015, 11:33:01 PM »

It's the sort of thing that makes you wonder - how did O'Neill do so well with Leicester and Celtic? How did Lambert do so well with Norwich?

Surely it can't have been years of luck and coincidence? Does just arriving at Villa make them forget how to manage?

different situations, Mon achieved pretty much the limit of what his style could do with us, it's not so much that he failed it's that he wasn't as good as most people thought. Lambert is just a rabbit in the headlights, the pressure has got to him and he's reverted from being a bit gung-ho and trying to take the game to teams to doing everything he can to avoid defeat, put simply the job is too big for him at this point in time.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #388 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »
If he's prepared to admit we have nothing in the final third after losing to Leicester, he's obviously aware of the problem. I don't necessarily expect him to "confess" this to the press on every occasion.
But I do expect him to address the issue when it occurs, not several games later when the press decide to spot it and ask questions about it!
He's the MANAGER ffs. He's supposed to MANAGE his resources, not just throw them into a pot and expect a stonking curry/chilli/stew/vegan soup to emerge some random time later.

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
« Reply #389 on: January 14, 2015, 11:38:53 PM »
Gabby even said in a post match interview after Liverpool I think it was, on the Tv that this is our style of play we will be keeping it tight and hoping to nick a goal, so it was out there in the open, it's a pre planned tactic that's backfired horribly so far.

The thing is, there's no shame in that being our game-plan at Anfield. It's when it's also our game-plan at home to Leyton Orient and Blackpool that you release how poorly set-up we are.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal