collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carles Gil - loaned out again  (Read 192200 times)

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
Re: Carles Gil - now officially signed
« Reply #360 on: January 14, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »
I wasn't at the game but is it true Joe Cole played in a neck brace?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #361 on: January 14, 2015, 02:15:18 PM »

He seemed to be playing in a leg brace.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #362 on: January 14, 2015, 02:25:54 PM »

He seemed to be playing in a leg brace.

I think Cole was fine. It was the statues playing in front of him that was the bigger problem. Gil might be great on his own, but if there is no movement then he'll look just as ordinary. The last thing we are going to want to see is a another sharp knife blunted because our forwards don't know how to create space for themselves. I'm hoping that between Gil arriving, Delph returning and if we can get another in it will kick start Benteke because he has started to lose focus.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #363 on: January 14, 2015, 02:27:46 PM »
hope that he turns out to be the player we need, I think the correct creative midfielder could make a major difference to us and make us into a decent team

However, we have to bear in mind that we have paid just over 3 million for him, we haven't signed David Silva or Samir Nasri. Lets hope he turns out to be a bargain but try not to expect too much
But then Swansea weren't complaining when they picked up Michu for a couple of million from the same league.

You're right to say not to expect too much, but I'm pretty sure that any Spaniard apart from Luna and Cuellar would give us more flair and creativity than we currently have.

Even if weren't actually a footballer, just being Spanish would probably be enough.

if he has anything like the impact that Michu had in his first season I would be delighted

in fact, where is Michu now? Can't we sign him as well?
The Napoli bench. I wonder if Swansea might like him back though now they've lost Bony.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #364 on: January 14, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I don't think it matters how much you spend sometimes. Franksey was saying last night 'Villa have spent £3m on Gil, but Leicester have spent £9m on a striker'. He obviously didn't mention how much the stripeyfilth had paid for hi-de-hi Brown, the one he's been slaughtering since day one.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #365 on: January 14, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »
I don't think it matters how much you spend sometimes. Franksey was saying last night 'Villa have spent £3m on Gil, but Leicester have spent £9m on a striker'. He obviously didn't mention how much the stripeyfilth had paid for hi-de-hi Brown, the one he's been slaughtering since day one.
It also doesn't really take into account that there would be little point us spending £9m on a striker as we've got one worth upwards of £25m already.

What we don't have is any bugger capable of passing him the ball in the opposition half of the field.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #366 on: January 14, 2015, 05:54:21 PM »
Paul Lambert could throw Carles Gil into his Barclays Premier League debut against Liverpool as he hailed the midfielder's creative spark.

Lambert insists that Gil will prove to be a major asset and while he is confident the attacking star can unlock doors for the claret and blues, he's warned about too much expectancy on the 22-year-old.

The boss admits he's really excited about working with Gil this week as the team prepare for the Reds clash.

He said: "I have no problems starting Carles, that's for sure.

"His last game was over a week ago in the Copa del Rey.

"I will see how he does. He will train tomorrow and then we will see.

"He gives us something that I think we've been crying out for - that creativity and spark - and that's what I think we've needed to finish off the work. We needed someone like him to unlock doors and make things happen.

"But I'm not going to put masses of expectancy on him - he's just here, he's 22, has great potential to be a really good player.

"He's played in La Liga, knows the game, he's been at a massive club before, he's played with some great teams and great players and I think he will excite everyone when he plays.

"Carles coming in is a great thing for us. It's something we've needed - this type of player. He's coming from a league where there are so many technical, gifted players who know the game of football. If he can add what I think we can add, then he will be a massive asset for us.

"He's really comfortable with the ball, which you expect from him. I am looking forward to working with him."

Lambert signed Gil because of his own personal football feeling - but he was happy to receive the seal of approval from Carlos Sanchez too, who played with the former Valencia man at Elche.

He added: "Carles knows Carlos - and Aly too.

"I spoke to Carlos on Tuesday. I didn't want to put too much pressure on him. He played with Carles at Elche. Carlos spoke highly of him.

"But that wasn't really the reason I signed him. I made it through pure football. He can play the game.

"But I spoke to Carlos and asked what he thought of Carles. He said 'excellent, very good.'"

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #367 on: January 14, 2015, 06:41:55 PM »
I appreciate that Lambert needs to trust his scouts, but surely Sanchez should have been one of the first people he consulted, by Tuesday the money was almost spent.

"I spoke to Carlos on Tuesday. I didn't want to put too much pressure on him. He played with Carles at Elche. Carlos spoke highly of him."

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #368 on: January 14, 2015, 07:17:21 PM »
I can't stop calling him "Benny" Gil.

I'm torn between Snow and Brierley. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be a Hodge.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #369 on: January 14, 2015, 07:44:16 PM »
Lambert said
He's played in La Liga, knows the game, he's been at a massive club before, he's played with some great teams and great players and I think he will excite everyone when he plays.

8 appearances for Valencia in 3 years? What great teams has he played for?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #370 on: January 14, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
I assume Valencia have had some pretty good sides in that period of time.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #371 on: January 14, 2015, 07:47:08 PM »
I can't stop calling him "Benny" Gil.

I'm torn between Snow and Brierley. Hopefully he doesn't turn out to be a Hodge.
"Benny" has my vote!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #372 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:03 PM »
"He gives us something that I think we've been crying out for - that creativity and spark - and that's what I think we've needed to finish off the work. We needed someone like him to unlock doors and make things happen.

That bit really worries me.  Does he genuinely believe that 1 player is going to turn us from completely toothless into a free scoring side that romps up the league?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2015, 07:57:40 PM »
If you was one of our so called current 'attacking' players, hearing your manager say we're crying out for creativity, how would that make you feel? Lambert isn't wrong, and it's pretty bloody obvious. Can't help thinking he's losing some of the players. I've seen a shift in the work rate from the likes of Agbonlahor and Weimann recently. It's non existent.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #374 on: January 14, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »

That bit really worries me.  Does he genuinely believe that 1 player is going to turn us from completely toothless into a free scoring side that romps up the league?
My point on another thread.
Gil is not going to transform the way we play.
Lambert's post-match comments on Sat were stunning.
Apparently "we're not producing in the final third".
F**k me!
Has he only just noticed what we've all been seeing for at least 18 months?

And THIS is a strong reason why he has lost my faith in him...not necessarily because of what I see on the pitch, but because of the almost total lack of responsibility for it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal