collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1631491 times)

Offline kippaxvilla2

Re: The Paul Lambert thread
« Reply #4845 on: April 19, 2014, 10:53:57 PM »
Gabby is so typical of todays average Premier League footballer.  Happy to just jog around for most of the game, has the occasional glimpse of magic, collects his 40k a week then has a great week tossing it off before he goes again. 

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4846 on: April 19, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
The main thing that Gabby has is that over the years, he's scored some key goals. He just seems to be on easy street though, happy to collect his £60/70k every week and know that he'll be in the team if he's fit. We're not in a position to move him on but we need to be bringing in enough quality that sees him become a squad player.

We can't afford 50k a week for a squad player. That much is true. We need to move him on to a mug punter who will think he is as good as he was 5 years agp.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4847 on: April 19, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »
Gabby is best now as an impact player. He needs to be on the bench more than he is, and the mere fact that he isn't is a telling tale of our depth in the squad. Hopefully this time next year we have a number of other/better options and that in itself improves Gabby's overall production and motivates him accordingly. For me, file alongside Weimann, A

Offline Phil from the upper holte

« Reply #4848 on: April 19, 2014, 11:11:49 PM »
Gabby's day was summed up by that chance in the first half, heavy touch and it got away from him. Would liked to have seen Robinson a bit earlier, expect more from Gabby really

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #4849 on: April 19, 2014, 11:13:56 PM »
Gabby's been a mainstay of the side for nearly a decade, but to me, if you're a first choice striker for that length of time, you need to be scoring at Fowler/Owen rates, or you're just wasting a space that a better striker can fill. Agbonlahor should be pushing for double figures every season, and he isn't.

My hope is that if a new regime comes in to Villa, sentimentality is abandoned. We shouldn't be a charity for mediocre players.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4850 on: April 19, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
My hope is that if a new regime comes in to Villa, sentimentality is abandoned. We shouldn't be a charity for mediocre players.

I do think that this summer, there are a number of realities that the club needs to face. One is the obvious one re this young and hungry thing taking us one place only in the medium term. Another is the players who have come through the youth set up relatively recently and whether they are going to do it (Gardner, Albrighton et al). The final one is whether we're cutting Gabby way too much slack because he's "one of us".

We can't have any room for sentimentality.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4851 on: April 19, 2014, 11:26:07 PM »
The thing with Gabby scoring key goals is true, but the last few seasons not many would have been key if he scored more often. Just another 3 league goals each for him and Weimann and we'd be safe now. One of the big reasons we struggle this season is the lack of goals/assists from those two.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4852 on: April 19, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »
I have said it for the last few weeks but that draw at Cardiff when Weimann and Gabby both missed a lot of chances may come back to haunt us. 

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #4853 on: April 19, 2014, 11:29:34 PM »
I understand the impact the way we play can have on any player, but I am so disappointed with pretty much everything about Weimann this season. Three league goals is pathetic, and he has been pretty much invisible the entire season.

He needs a kick up the arse. He looks entirely in the comfort zone, like he thinks he has made it.

I also find myself wondering whether he looks a bit "portlier" than he should.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #4854 on: April 19, 2014, 11:30:13 PM »
re the abovementioned two, I read recently that this season Martin Skirtel has more league goals (7) than Gabby and Weimann combined.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #4855 on: April 19, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »
I have said it for the last few weeks but that draw at Cardiff when Weimann and Gabby both missed a lot of chances may come back to haunt us.

That Marshall save could ultimately be the difference between Villa or Cardiff going down.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4856 on: April 19, 2014, 11:56:55 PM »
re the abovementioned two, I read recently that this season Martin Skirtel has more league goals (7) than Gabby and Weimann combined.

This is entirely correct.

Offline Archie

« Reply #4857 on: April 20, 2014, 07:46:38 AM »
I feel relieved to acknowledge that no one defends Lambert anymore.

One of the saddest things is that the players and the team, instead of improving, are getting worse.
Weimann is an ectoplasm, Westwood loo s like the invisible man, Holt is a roadside post put in a football pitch, Baker leaves the opponent striker unmarked three times a game or maybe more.
No one in the team has the capability to build the play, nor to take the possession of the ball. The possession stats are the worse since the sport was created. About 30%, even at home and even against crap opponentes.
Nightmare.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #4858 on: April 20, 2014, 08:37:22 AM »
I feel relieved to acknowledge that no one defends Lambert anymore.

One of the saddest things is that the players and the team, instead of improving, are getting worse.
Weimann is an ectoplasm, Westwood loo s like the invisible man, Holt is a roadside post put in a football pitch, Baker leaves the opponent striker unmarked three times a game or maybe more.
No one in the team has the capability to build the play, nor to take the possession of the ball. The possession stats are the worse since the sport was created. About 30%, even at home and even against crap opponentes.
Nightmare.

`

Indeed Archie. At long last, the penny seems to have dropped with everyone just how shockingly bad this guy is as a manager. But boy has it taken a long time and boy have we had to plumb the depths of crapness consistently to get to this. Our football is an embarrassment and we stink the league out quite frankly. And, as you say, he has managed to make us worse not better. We may not get relegated but we certainly deserve to

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #4859 on: April 20, 2014, 09:04:47 AM »
I'd like to go on record, that yesterday was my final straw. I'd like to see him moved on.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal