collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Paul Lambert thread - poll reset after our capitulation to Hull  (Read 1631538 times)

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: The Paul Lambert thread
« Reply #4830 on: April 19, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »
With the points totals, yes it will vary from season to season but surely the essence remains of under 40 points- will be struggling against relegation and really manager should be sacked, 40-45, comfortably mid table and maybe signs of progession (see last season), 45-50 points, pushing top 10 and the sort of season I was looking for really this time out and 50 + points excellent season and in the top 8 no issue.

Generally those points ranges get you a certain place in the league. When I look at the 9th place team in the league and see them on 46 points and given their form they'll probably finish around that figure I just don't understand why that seems a near impossible figure for us to reach anymore in seasons.

Yes top 6 is unrealistic but surely finishing in the top 10 shouldn't be if you can do that on about 47 points?

Online supertom

« Reply #4831 on: April 19, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
With the points totals, yes it will vary from season to season but surely the essence remains of under 40 points- will be struggling against relegation and really manager should be sacked, 40-45, comfortably mid table and maybe signs of progession (see last season), 45-50 points, pushing top 10 and the sort of season I was looking for really this time out and 50 + points excellent season and in the top 8 no issue.

Generally those points ranges get you a certain place in the league. When I look at the 9th place team in the league and see them on 46 points and given their form they'll probably finish around that figure I just don't understand why that seems a near impossible figure for us to reach anymore in seasons.

Yes top 6 is unrealistic but surely finishing in the top 10 shouldn't be if you can do that on about 47 points?
We've got enough quality to be pushing the likes of Southampton and Newcastle. We've a solid enough spine. A better manager, and 3-4 quality additions to our starting 11 and we should be hitting 50 points minimum.

That definitely shouldn't be beyond us next season, but we've got to make a change in management and we've got to buy quality.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4832 on: April 19, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
I think it would be a bit unrealistic to expect anything to change on the pitch.

Same players- some of which have been playing poorly all season, some which are not good enough at this level.

Same formation 4-3-3 which he has been our norm

and same useless manager that has been in charge for 2 seasons.

Online supertom

« Reply #4833 on: April 19, 2014, 08:57:32 PM »
I think it would be a bit unrealistic to expect anything to change on the pitch.

Same players- some of which have been playing poorly all season, some which are not good enough at this level.

Same formation 4-3-3 which he has been our norm

and same useless manager that has been in charge for 2 seasons.
Sadly yes. Still it was nice to dream for a few days.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4834 on: April 19, 2014, 09:16:02 PM »

We've got enough quality to be pushing the likes of Southampton and Newcastle. We've a solid enough spine. A better manager, and 3-4 quality additions to our starting 11 and we should be hitting 50 points minimum.

That definitely shouldn't be beyond us next season, but we've got to make a change in management and we've got to buy quality.

I doubt we have enough quality currently.

Guzan - top class
Vlaar - good organiser and captain
Delph - yep good enough
Benteke - yep when fit

Others

Okore / Kozak - both could make it. I am reasonably confident
Lowton / Westwood - yep possible with guidance.

The rest - not for me other than the odd squad player e.g. Bacuna.

Clear out required - Bennett, Luna, Clark, Baker, Albrighton, Gabby, Tonev, Bowery as a start

Offline Morpheus

« Reply #4835 on: April 19, 2014, 09:37:23 PM »
Lambert's view on our season so far.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4836 on: April 19, 2014, 09:45:23 PM »
Lambert's view on our season so far.

Very good

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #4837 on: April 19, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
Excellant

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4838 on: April 19, 2014, 10:33:14 PM »
I am starting to wonder whether we can really afford to carry the likes of Gabby if we are ever going to progress. Three league goals this season, that's really not very good.

Don't get me wrong, I can see what he adds sometimes but that is very rarely these days, and as he's likely one of the top earners, I just wonder if a club in our position can afford to carry a player whose contribution is that shaky.

Do we need to start to be brutally honest about the likes of Gabby?

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #4839 on: April 19, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
I am starting to wonder whether we can really afford to carry the likes of Gabby if we are ever going to progress. Three league goals this season, that's really not very good.

Don't get me wrong, I can see what he adds sometimes but that is very rarely these days, and as he's likely one of the top earners, I just wonder if a club in our position can afford to carry a player whose contribution is that shaky.

I'm afraid so. Kozak has scored more goals than him this season and he's been injured for donkey's. Even Bacuna's scored more than Gabby this year.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4840 on: April 19, 2014, 10:36:36 PM »

We do - he should be moved on. When Heskey had that return we (quite rightly) slaughtered him.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4841 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:02 PM »
We've still had a year of the most dreadful tactics and the most woefully deficient style. A season of failure like this one under really good management and that would be it, but it's not like the team is scoring bucketloads and he's not (although I take the point about Kozak I think it must be acknowledged that the whole 'style', such as it is, is built around the Big Man).

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #4842 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:35 PM »
Without a doubt. He's a striker. He's scored three goals. He goes missing too often. Not acceptable.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4843 on: April 19, 2014, 10:43:06 PM »
The main thing that Gabby has is that over the years, he's scored some key goals. He just seems to be on easy street though, happy to collect his £60/70k every week and know that he'll be in the team if he's fit. We're not in a position to move him on but we need to be bringing in enough quality that sees him become a squad player.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4844 on: April 19, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »
Without a doubt. He's a striker. He's scored three goals. He goes missing too often. Not acceptable.

Correct - he should be moved on. He isn't worth 20% of what he is currently paid - whatever the 'market' suggests

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal