collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166861 times)

Offline achilles

Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #600 on: December 24, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
I wonder if part of it is because he's earning sod all (by football standards). Having never been a regular first teamer none of his contracts will have been big and he probably had a relegation clause slice it in half so he could well have been pretty much the lowest earner in the squad.

Bruce was on the radio earlier and this was certainly one of the reasons:

https://audioboom.com/posts/5428141-aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-on-game-v-luton-but-first-he-talks-about-gary-gardners-new-deal

But that is exactly why he is one of the lowest earners... because he is bloody useless and has no future at AVFC!

Offline oswald funkletrumpet

« Reply #601 on: December 24, 2016, 11:55:01 AM »
I wonder if part of it is because he's earning sod all (by football standards). Having never been a regular first teamer none of his contracts will have been big and he probably had a relegation clause slice it in half so he could well have been pretty much the lowest earner in the squad.

https://audioboom.com/posts/5428141-aston-villa-boss-steve-bruce-on-game-v-luton-but-first-he-talks-about-gary-gardners-new-deal

But that is exactly why he is one of the lowest earners... because he is bloody useless and has no future at AVFC!

He shouldnt have a future as he is way out of his depth but a deal until 2020 suggests otherwise and having him even in matchday squad shows how low we have sunk

Even if it is too make sure we get a transfer fee from a lower half championship team or league one side it says a lot about our ambition

when we do go up apart from 3 or 4 players we need to replace the lot of them

Short term and lazy

Offline frank black

« Reply #602 on: December 24, 2016, 12:02:15 PM »

He shouldnt have a future as he is way out of his depth but a deal until 2020 suggests otherwise and having him even in matchday squad shows how low we have sunk

Even if it is too make sure we get a transfer fee from a lower half championship team or league one side it says a lot about our ambition

Short term and lazy

I'm still with jury at the moment, he's done it before in the Championship and I would hope he shows more now.

Perhaps a nice little screamer into the top corner on Monday please Garry . UTV

« Reply #603 on: December 24, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »

Short term and lazy

I'm still with jury at the moment, he's done it before in the Championship and I would hope he shows more now.

Perhaps a nice little screamer into the top corner on Monday please Garry . UTV

it depends what you term as doing it

If its been ok for one season and shite for another whilst playing for a team in the lower half of the league then yes he has done it

Moving forward the likes of pointy and gardner shouldnt have a future with us, if they do there is no way we are going to get up and if we arent up in two seasons the parachute money is 15 odd million its a 50 million drop from the prem

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #604 on: December 24, 2016, 12:38:30 PM »
The odd screamer doesn't make up for his bad passing. Even more so at premier league level

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #605 on: December 24, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
The odd screamer doesn't make up for his bad passing. Even more so at premier league level

If only he was as effective as your favourite Westwood. I see you managed to offer an argument for his inclusion in the side for Leeds.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #606 on: December 24, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »

If that's the reason, doesn't it just say a lot about how we're finally employing common sense?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #607 on: December 24, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »
I agree Dave.  It's all about not giving saleable players away.  Basic common sense.  Basic business.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #608 on: December 24, 2016, 02:38:25 PM »

When are we playing Luton?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #609 on: December 24, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »

If only he was as effective as your favourite Westwood. I see you managed to offer an argument for his inclusion in the side for Leeds.

I'd say neither of them are good enough for where I want us to be, even in the short term. Hopefully we might even do something about that this winter

But given two games in four days I'd rotate between them in these matches

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #610 on: December 24, 2016, 03:23:03 PM »

I'd say neither of them are good enough for where I want us to be, even in the short term. Hopefully we might even do something about that this winter

But given two games in four days I'd rotate between them in these matches

Every time I see Westwood's name on the teamsheet a little piece of me dies. Soon I'll vanish. At least with Gardner there is the remote possibility he will contribute positively to the cause.

« Reply #611 on: December 24, 2016, 03:35:38 PM »
I agree Dave.  It's all about not giving saleable players away.  Basic common sense.  Basic business.

And just how much would we get for gardner? 2 million at a push?

What would he cost in wages? 20k a week? A million a year?

He had what a year left on a two year deal so why not a year? Why 3?

I look forward to teams banging on our door to sign him
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 03:41:16 PM by oswald funkletrumpet »

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #612 on: December 24, 2016, 03:50:43 PM »

Does it really matter? Sounds like a bit of a whinge for the sake of it.

« Reply #613 on: December 24, 2016, 03:56:09 PM »

Does it really matter? Sounds like a bit of a whinge for the sake of it.

Does it matter?

jesus wept

we give westwood who isnt a premier league player a 5 year deal to ensure he is under contract when all the bids come rolling in

A stupidly long deal for bacuna

the same for flabby

and now the same for gardner

this isnt some kind of financial master plan its stupidity

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #614 on: December 24, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
I doubt he is on £3k a week.  He would sell for £2 million minimum.  Wait and see what is paid for bang average players in January.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal