collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166867 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #495 on: September 11, 2016, 10:36:53 PM »
Professionals like Paul Lambert and Tim Sherwood? Professionals...

Anyway, what is it they see in Westwood that I'm missing. Is it his physicality, his effort off the ball, his ability to dictate the tempo, the chances he creates, the goals he scores, the positions he takes up. I don't know, I've seen every single game he's played for us. Maybe I'm sitting too far away and I'm missing all the above.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #496 on: September 11, 2016, 10:37:32 PM »
It was a poor pass, I agree.

But I just watched the highlights on sky. For the equaliser, both McCormack and then Chester put in awful challenges. Nobody mentions it

People do mention Gardner giving the ball away in the opponents half and a supposedly weak challenge from Westwood for the equaliser. The guy played a 1-2 past him. Not really sure what Westwood should have done

Maybe, just maybe, the last four professional football managers have known a bit more about football than the fans who suggest he's shit. I seem to remember some people even sayin Chris herd was better than him. Chris herd!

good player Chris Herd, dominated the midfield once against Man Utd or was that Hogg

Offline Ads

« Reply #497 on: September 11, 2016, 10:38:17 PM »
Hogg. Herd battered a door once.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #498 on: September 11, 2016, 10:39:05 PM »
Hogg. Herd battered a door once.

the door was asking for it

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #499 on: September 11, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »
I realise the standard is eons better but I couldn't help be totally and utterly jealous of the quality of the corners Man Citeh kept pinging in yesterday that invariably were pacey and constantly attacked.  Has anyone ever seen a decent corner delivered by Westwood?  McCormack was taking some today, they were no better mind.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #500 on: September 11, 2016, 11:17:00 PM »
Woeful player. Gave the ball away for their first too.

Sorry ads not picking on you in particular but comments like this really piss me off and you see them all the time.  If you give the ball away on the edge of your own box and they score then yes, you're at fault but if you give it away trying to slide someone in for a shot and you get pelters for it you're just going to start playing the safe pass instead, but if you do that you get moaned about (see the Grealish thread for example) so what do people want the team to do around the edge of their box?  Feel free to rip Gardner up (fairly or unfairly) over most things but don't try to pin the first goal on him, there were 2-3 chances for the team to get it back before he scored and all of those missed opportunities are more at fault than the pass.

Offline Ads

« Reply #501 on: September 11, 2016, 11:20:15 PM »
It's a poor pass of course he shares the blame.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #502 on: September 11, 2016, 11:20:42 PM »
It's also harsh on Gardner saying that somebody showed for the ball and in the split second that Gardner makes the pass, the player has moved. It was just a misunderstanding between the 2.

For both their goals, they were allowed to move up the pitch too easily. That's a team fault.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #503 on: September 11, 2016, 11:22:30 PM »
Westwood's absolutely laughable attempt at a tackle was more to blame for the first goal.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #504 on: September 11, 2016, 11:44:34 PM »
His first half performance was the best I have seen from him in a Villa shirt.  Unfortunately he started the second half poorly and gave away a number of passes (including one that ultimately led to their first goal). 

As we've seen so far this season, doing OK for the likes of Forest on loan is not really the standard we require. 

Offline pbavfckuwait

« Reply #505 on: September 12, 2016, 06:46:45 AM »
Westwood and Gardner are ok at what they do, but there is the problem, what they do is not good enough for AVFC, they are the midfield from hell when it comes to tracking back, making tackles (when Gardner does, it normally results in a free kick given away), having the ability to split defences, dead ball situations both attacking and defending anything you would expect from a good midfield, they just do not offer.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #506 on: September 12, 2016, 08:47:54 AM »
I completely agree with ocd and Paul e

The lack of perspective and bias for and against certain players drives me up the wall sometimes

Gardner has been shit this season. He really wasn't shit yesterday - he had a bad 5 mins but didn't do anything ridiculous

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #507 on: September 12, 2016, 09:56:02 AM »
Woeful player. Gave the ball away for their first too.

Sorry ads not picking on you in particular but comments like this really piss me off and you see them all the time.  If you give the ball away on the edge of your own box and they score then yes, you're at fault but if you give it away trying to slide someone in for a shot and you get pelters for it you're just going to start playing the safe pass instead, but if you do that you get moaned about (see the Grealish thread for example) so what do people want the team to do around the edge of their box?  Feel free to rip Gardner up (fairly or unfairly) over most things but don't try to pin the first goal on him, there were 2-3 chances for the team to get it back before he scored and all of those missed opportunities are more at fault than the pass.
I completely agree with this.  If he always played the safe ball he would be crucified for that too.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #508 on: September 12, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »
Westwood's absolutely laughable attempt at a tackle was more to blame for the first goal.

It would have shamed a 12 year old girl, and his "challenge" for the second goal wasn't any better.  On the first, he should have gone in like a train and taken out player if he couldn't take out the ball.  You would hope that Jedinak will bring some of that.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #509 on: September 12, 2016, 10:38:43 AM »
He was ok Yesterday in generally but the issue is with both him and Westwood they just keep play moving neither has ability to run with ball or make things happen.Gardner at least will go in strong with tackles replace their positions for first goal yesterday with Westwood giving ball away and Gardner would have made a tackle or given away a foul.

Both can function in midfield with someone else alongside them or in a 3 man midfield but as 2 behind and attacking 3 and striker they are a liability as a combination

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal