collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Gary Gardner - Retired  (Read 166859 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Gary Gardner
« Reply #480 on: September 11, 2016, 09:34:38 PM »
 Westwood is a much better player than Gardner.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #481 on: September 11, 2016, 09:35:05 PM »
Don't you rate Westwood then, s_h?

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #482 on: September 11, 2016, 09:35:44 PM »

Talk about being damned with faint praise.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #483 on: September 11, 2016, 09:37:51 PM »
Gardner started the game well today and had a good first half. He faded a bit but he is getting a disproportionate amount of criticism to my eyes. We need to give him a chance to bed himself in a bit, he's hardly started a game for us before this season.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #484 on: September 11, 2016, 09:40:55 PM »
Gardner started the game well today and had a good first half. He faded a bit but he is getting a disproportionate amount of criticism to my eyes. We need to give him a chance to bed himself in a bit, he's hardly started a game for us before this season.

I don't really see what he does well.

Maybe he's finding it hard alongside another waste of space in Westwood, but I just don't get it with GG.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #485 on: September 11, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
Woeful player. Gave the ball away for their first too.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #486 on: September 11, 2016, 09:43:14 PM »

Talk about being damned with faint praise.

Maybe so, but some of the views on here seem to lose sight of this fact.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #487 on: September 11, 2016, 09:45:41 PM »
one thing I did notice with GG and Grealish today is they are no longer little strings of piss,
GG has always been the bigger but at close quarters he is a lot bigger (not fat) than you think
and Grealish has filled out a lot even since last season, I'd say definitely been working the weights and just looks a lot stronger, built to last

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #488 on: September 11, 2016, 09:48:19 PM »
I'm no fan of Gardner so far this season but think he was unlucky for the first, he passed it to a player who had his back to goal and a defender up his arse so was a pass to be held up or laid off by that player on the edge of the area, the player however did a great spin fooling everyone and leaving it looking like a really shit pass straight to their defender who had just been mugged off. He's crap at tracking back mind.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #489 on: September 11, 2016, 10:18:34 PM »
Gardner: you can tell you're a scapegoat when you get blamed this much for giving the ball away on the edge of the opponents' box

Not that I'd have him in the team if others are fit

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #490 on: September 11, 2016, 10:21:18 PM »
So we shouldn't criticise a player who gives the ball away for the opposition to, 5 seconds later, score?

He's absolute shite. He makes me half believe Westwood is maybe passable in comparison. He's not a scapegoat at all.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #491 on: September 11, 2016, 10:23:40 PM »
Spot on about Westwood. He's just a nothing player who gets the ball and makes a nothing pass which comes to nothing. He's as weak as water who gets muscled off the ball easily, offers little protection to the back four, and when he gets a rare chance to shoot invariably nothing comes of it. Just look at today, he gets a decent chance to shoot, no one around him, the whole goal to aim at yet he shoots straight at the keeper. I mean he didn't even have to move. He's a complete and utter waste of space who has played his part in our embarrassing decline. Honestly why he's still at the club remains one of life's great mysteries and in my opinion we won't be promoted with him in the team.
Jedinak and Tshibola have to step into the fray.

I was going to post something to this effect myself. Much is made of his passing (which seems to me to be decent, nothing more), but he's nominally a deeper-lying midfielder and therefore it's vital that he can tackle and shield the defence a bit.

He doesn't have that ability, though. He's absolutely worthless at it, as evidenced by their first goal today. Gardner lost the ball halfway into the opposition half, so we should have been able to cope. The defenders were back and Westwood got to their player and positioned himself goalside. Yet he just got brushed off like a nine-year old girl and ended up letting his man stroll into a yawning gap. He might as well not have been there. In fact, he might as well not have been there for the last four seasons.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #492 on: September 11, 2016, 10:29:13 PM »

Spits drink everywhere*

*If I'd have had a drink in my hand, when reading that

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #493 on: September 11, 2016, 10:32:36 PM »
It was a poor pass, I agree.

But I just watched the highlights on sky. For the equaliser, both McCormack and then Chester put in awful challenges. Nobody mentions it

People do mention Gardner giving the ball away in the opponents half and a supposedly weak challenge from Westwood for the equaliser. The guy played a 1-2 past him. Not really sure what Westwood should have done

Maybe, just maybe, the last four professional football managers have known a bit more about football than the fans who suggest he's shit. I seem to remember some people even sayin Chris herd was better than him. Chris herd!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #494 on: September 11, 2016, 10:34:15 PM »
Does anyone believe we can be promoted with Westwood and Gardner as the midfield generals?  I know it is likely to change but even so, with injuries and suspensions they are still likely to get their fair share of games.  I think both are pretty awful.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal