collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy Birthday...  (Read 9493 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: Happy Birthday...
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2014, 03:12:02 PM »
Happy Birthday Mr Douglas Ellis OBE

The last Chairman of my club when we actually won something so you could not have been all that bad  ;)

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2014, 03:15:51 PM »
Happy Birthday Mr Douglas Ellis OBE

That's Sir Douglas, ya cheeky whippersnapper. Services to charity, don't you know

Or is it Sir Herbert?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2014, 03:17:33 PM »
Sir Herbert Douglas Ellis OBE

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2014, 03:41:43 PM »
Interesting video of interview with Nick Owen on BBC:

Aston Villa honorary president Sir Doug Ellis on his 90th

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
Happy Birthday, Sir Doug!

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
Happy Birthday Sir Douglas Herbert....We wouldn't be the club we are today if it wasn't for you (;-)

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
Didn't realise he was that old.

He donated the gym to Aston uni, and every time I leave there I'm greeted by a giant picture of his smiling face. Can't complaint about the Claret and Blue trim around the swimming pool!

Offline royvilla949

« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2014, 05:55:56 PM »
happy birthday sir doug may you have many more wish you were still runing the club

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2014, 06:07:58 PM »
Any one mention bulldozing The Trinity?

Sorry I cant forgive him for that.

I do hope he has a good Birthday and stays well though.

Offline eastie

« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
@StrideSteve: Today at Sir Doug's 90th Birthday Lunch. http://t.co/7Y3jgdkEx1

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »
Was Carrott attending to tables?

Offline eastie

« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2014, 06:58:43 PM »
Quote from: official site

Sir Doug Ellis on milestone birthday.

Happy 90th birthday to president emeritus and former chairman Sir Doug Ellis today.

It might be argued that Sir Doug had an influence on Villa from the moment he first drew breath.

He was born in Cheshire on January 3, 1924 - and Villa went on to reach the FA Cup final that year.

But it was from the late 1960s that he really began to make a real impact at Villa Park.

Having made his fortune in the travel industry, he became Villa chairman in December 1968.

When he took over at the helm for the first time, Villa were on the edge of disaster, with a poor team in the old Second Division, falling attendances, heavy financial losses and a ground badly in need of repair.

His first tasks were to instigate a share issue which raised desperately needed finds and to bring in charismatic Tommy Docherty as manager, an appointment which generated tremendous interest in the club.

By the end of the following season, when Villa were relegated to Division Three for the first time in their history, Docherty had been sacked, although Ellis's next two appointments were considerably more successful.

Between them, Vic Crowe and his successor Ron Saunders guided Villa to two League Cup triumphs and eventually back to the top-flight.

Ellis resigned as chairman in September 1975 and four years later departed as a director.

But he returned in 1982 and remained chairman until 2006, when he sold the club to American Randy Lerner.

By the time he took up the honorary position of president emeritus, a total of 13 managers had served him, including Graham Taylor, who had two spells in charge.

Those managers achieved varying degrees of success. Villa were relegated under Billy McNeill in 1987 and nearly went down again when Jo Venglos was in charge for just one season in 1990-91.

But there were also triumphs, most notably promotion in 1988 and runners-up spot two years later under Taylor; runners-up spot in the inaugural Premier League of 1992-93 under Ron Atkinson, who also guided Villa to the League Cup in 1994; another League Cup final triumph under Brian Little two years later; and a run to the 2000 FA Cup final under John Gregory.

Ellis appointed Martin O'Neill before standing aside to make way for the club's new USA owner.

Ellis also had three years as a Birmingham City director from 1965, having failed to win a plae on the Villa board at the time, and had earlier been co-promoter of Birmingham Speedway.

His main sporting interest outside football has been salmon fishing, a sport which earned him the popular nickname, from former England striker Jimmy Greaves, of 'Deadly.'

A former member of the FA's international, finance and Charity Shield committee, as well as FIFA's media and television committee, Ellis was also the founder chairman of the technical control board at the FA and Football League. He was awarded the OBE in 2005 and a Knighthood in 2011.

Sir Doug said the key to a long life was "working hard at somewhere I loved" at Villa.

He said: "There's no substitute for hard work. And I did that somewhere I loved at Villa.

"I was on the board for 35 years of my life, with 31 as chairman. That's something I am very proud of.

"I gave it everything. I gave it my life to the detriment of many of my other businesses.

"But, yes, Villa has been my life. I love the club.

"Also, to have a wife like Heidi, who's been very supportive, has been very important too. We have been married for 50 years!"

Offline class_of_82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »
Happy birthday sir Doug I possibly slagged you a few times over the years but I reckon would randy Lerner have been interested in us if we would of been in mega debt which has happened to many teams chasing the holy grail.only you kept us on a even financial level which I see now was a good thing, telegram from the queen or king next

Offline Wearie Willie

« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »
A Very Happy Birthday to Doug for all his faults I don't think anyone can say he didn't Genuinly cared about the villa,
his only Crime was He did'nt spend money the club Had'nt Got

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2014, 07:56:27 PM »
Any one mention bulldozing The Trinity?

Sorry I cant forgive him for that.

For upgrading the stadium or for the manner in which he did it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal