collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alan McCafu  (Read 279907 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Alan Hutton
« Reply #900 on: November 08, 2016, 07:07:01 AM »
I like him, he's not great and he'd need replacing if we ever went up but for now he's fine, a good example to the others in terms of making the most of limited talent.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #901 on: November 08, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »
Is he really that bad?  He's played in all of the recent improved performances, and the defence as a whole has looked much better.  He's never going to be the best player at the club, but he surely isn't the worst.  Perfectly good enough for this season at least I'd argue.

Look at the error against the blues, look at all the crossing chances where he hits the crowd, watch him in a game and see how often he's standing still whilst his winger spins in behind him.  I agree he may not be the worst player at the club but he's only a couple of steps away from it at his very best.

Agreed he is an awful footballer and has been for years. Trying hard and being fit should be taken as a basic requirement of any player at the club.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #902 on: November 08, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »
Is he really that bad?  He's played in all of the recent improved performances, and the defence as a whole has looked much better.  He's never going to be the best player at the club, but he surely isn't the worst.  Perfectly good enough for this season at least I'd argue.

Look at the error against the blues, look at all the crossing chances where he hits the crowd, watch him in a game and see how often he's standing still whilst his winger spins in behind him.  I agree he may not be the worst player at the club but he's only a couple of steps away from it at his very best.

Agreed he is an awful footballer and has been for years. Trying hard and being fit should be taken as a basic requirement of any player at the club.

Agree brontebilly but I give him a lot of credit for not just sinking into the mire along with all lazy bastards as it would have been easy to just give up

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #903 on: November 08, 2016, 10:02:44 AM »

Agree brontebilly but I give him a lot of credit for not just sinking into the mire along with all lazy bastards as it would have been easy to just give up

Agree Witton, he didn't and with his experience with the bomb squad he had every right too

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #904 on: November 08, 2016, 10:04:24 AM »

Awful is a bit much.  There were many occasions in the dark days he was pretty much out best player.  He has heart & spirit and never say die attitude.  Bear in mind it is always harder when the players around you are shite and you are having to cover for them.  I agree he has limitations and is no Roberto Carlos, but I don't think he is anyway near as bad as some make out.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #905 on: November 09, 2016, 01:31:02 AM »
His attitude and professionalism given how he was treated for two years marks him out from many of his peers.

£30,000+ a week for doing nothing and you'll never hear a peep from me either.

Offline TheTimVilla

• GM : 13.02.2022
« Reply #906 on: November 09, 2016, 07:45:03 AM »

Awful is a bit much.  There were many occasions in the dark days he was pretty much out best player.  He has heart & spirit and never say die attitude.  Bear in mind it is always harder when the players around you are shite and you are having to cover for them.  I agree he has limitations and is no Roberto Carlos, but I don't think he is anyway near as bad as some make out.

Agreed, he is more of a Cafu. I don't particularly rate him but he's the least worst right back option we have at the moment.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #907 on: November 09, 2016, 10:02:53 AM »

Agreed, he is more of a Cafu. I don't particularly rate him but he's the least worst right back option we have at the moment.

Given Amavi & Cissoko's contributions to defensive solidity, he could be in with a shout of being the least worst left-back option we have too!

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #908 on: November 09, 2016, 10:12:31 AM »

Given Amavi & Cissoko's contributions to defensive solidity, he could be in with a shout of being the least worst left-back option we have too!
Speaking of which. What the hell has happened to Amavi? He just doesn't look the part this season. Had high hopes for him too.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #909 on: November 09, 2016, 02:27:49 PM »
I still think he flatters to deceive and gets favourable support because of a seemingly good attitude.  For a player that Spurs paid £9m for and the level he achieved earlier in his career, why has ended up playing like he does.  Perhaps his attitude to the game is not that good and that is why his career has tailed off dramatically. Granted, he doesn't show the disregard for the club and supporters that others have shown but attitude can be measured in different ways.

Offline achilles

« Reply #910 on: November 09, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »
I feel that Hutton comes in for a lot of unfair criticism, on Saturday I thought he was superb except for his crossing which was too 'floaty' for my liking but it is very difficult when Villa weren't playing with a centre froward and we all know our midfield players get a nose bleed if they enter the penalty area. McCormack and Kodjia aren't players that actually attack crosses they tend to pounce on defensive mistakes.

On the issue of crosses what about Amavi in the first half, does brilliantly to actually get to the byline and then with all the time in the world, as the Blackburn players were appealing for the ball having gone out for a throw in, proceeds to pass the ball to a Blackburn player! If that had been Hutton he would have been vilified but as far as I can tell nobody has mentioned this incident.   

Offline JB1811

« Reply #911 on: November 09, 2016, 02:54:40 PM »
Is De Laet that much of an improvement really? It seems like a lot of money for not a great deal of improvement in the grans scheme of things...sometimes I honestly suspected it was just Hutton in a wig.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #912 on: November 09, 2016, 05:21:30 PM »
How much was De Laet?

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #913 on: November 09, 2016, 06:19:50 PM »
I will tell you what is a miss. De Laet has a fucking huge throw in in his locker.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #914 on: November 09, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »
How much was De Laet?

£2.5m or thereabouts?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal