collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Radio WM  (Read 881083 times)

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
Re: Radio WM
« Reply #4380 on: October 06, 2020, 10:18:58 AM »
This new guy really is rubbish. For some reason last night they played a Shania Twain record about 15 minutes in, never known that on the footy phone in before.

That don't impress me much.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #4381 on: October 06, 2020, 10:20:02 AM »
Since I moved to near Cheltenham I gave up listening as the reception was poor and I used to listen to it in the car on the drive home. I must admit my secret shame was that  I didn’t mind the whole ‘Franksy/ Rego‘ thing ( who after all are old pro journo types)  and used to quite enjoy laughing at the moronic Eddie and bitter old Polly. But I’ve just listened on BBC Sounds ( don’t get me started on that) to  5 minutes of the new ‘Yoof’ YTS presenter and my bladder has steam escaping from it. Sub radio 1 drivel typical of the new down with da kids dumbing down of everything good about the Beeb. They have done the same on national radio, by ruining virtually every Comedy programme I liked on Radio 4 such as the Now Show , the News Quiz etc by sacking the very talented established people on there and replacing them with totally unfunny Right On ‘comedians’ who just aren’t funny. At least Regan and co were vaguely professional, this kid is a complete amateur.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #4382 on: October 06, 2020, 10:25:16 AM »
This new guy really is rubbish. For some reason last night they played a Shania Twain record about 15 minutes in, never known that on the footy phone in before.

Indicative of a lack of content and/or callers. It's days are numbered and the writing has been on the wall for some time now. Like a lot of the content on 5Live, 606 is a struggle and now rendered unlistenable with Savage and Sutton paired up. So much football coverage on radio and TV has been "bantered" into submission, from the tiresome "he's hit the beans on toast" and "it's a desmond" schtick on Soccer Saturday to the idea that ex-professionals arguing the toss using severely limited vocabulary and knowledge is in some way illuminating or entertaining.
It takes the viewers and listeners for idiots and is patronising in the extreme.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #4383 on: October 06, 2020, 10:39:50 AM »

Indicative of a lack of content and/or callers. It's days are numbered and the writing has been on the wall for some time now. Like a lot of the content on 5Live, 606 is a struggle and now rendered unlistenable with Savage and Sutton paired up. So much football coverage on radio and TV has been "bantered" into submission, from the tiresome "he's hit the beans on toast" and "it's a desmond" schtick on Soccer Saturday to the idea that ex-professionals arguing the toss using severely limited vocabulary and knowledge is in some way illuminating or entertaining.
It takes the viewers and listeners for idiots and is patronising in the extreme.

Yes. Add to that the choice that people have now, WM has not kept up and assumes that they will have a core of local listeners who will call in, that pool is getting smaller. Plus, talking down your biggest club doesn't help.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #4384 on: October 06, 2020, 10:47:37 AM »
By contrast on TV, I think Midlands Today has some of the most talented, professional individuals on any channel on local television. And I’m not just saying that because I have a pathetic old man crush on the brilliant, truly gorgeous Beccy Wood and the mega talented, stunning Audrey Dias.
There, that’s my quota of unacceptable sexism for the day, I’m off to contemplate the error of my ways...

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4385 on: October 06, 2020, 10:56:50 AM »
Since I moved to near Cheltenham I gave up listening as the reception was poor and I used to listen to it in the car on the drive home. I must admit my secret shame was that  I didn’t mind the whole ‘Franksy/ Rego‘ thing ( who after all are old pro journo types)  and used to quite enjoy laughing at the moronic Eddie and bitter old Polly. But I’ve just listened on BBC Sounds ( don’t get me started on that) to  5 minutes of the new ‘Yoof’ YTS presenter and my bladder has steam escaping from it. Sub radio 1 drivel typical of the new down with da kids dumbing down of everything good about the Beeb. They have done the same on national radio, by ruining virtually every Comedy programme I liked on Radio 4 such as the Now Show , the News Quiz etc by sacking the very talented established people on there and replacing them with totally unfunny Right On ‘comedians’ who just aren’t funny. At least Regan and co were vaguely professional, this kid is a complete amateur.

CallmeFranksy isn't an old journo: in fact I don't think he's ever written professionally in his life. He's a former second-hand car salesman who won a competition.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 11:54:34 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #4386 on: October 06, 2020, 11:06:34 AM »
Haha, I thought you were being sarcastic, but I just looked it up and it’s true. He went from the second most disreputable ‘profession’ to the first , if not the oldest.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #4387 on: October 06, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
I miss SKY's Sunday Supplement.

Online danno

« Reply #4388 on: October 06, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »

Martin Samuel and the rest around the breakfast table, is what I imagined the board game hungry hungry hippos would look like if it was ever brought to life. As much as I despise some pundits, hearing Oliver Holt and Sean Custis offer any player or manager criticism often gave me pause for thought.

Idiots who on the one hand ran down Arsene Wenger whilst simultaneously championing Allardyce or Redknapp for the national job. Or last season writing the obituaries for Mourinho because Chelsea ( a team who won the Europa under Sarri) beat Tottenham in a game.  Idiots who were questioning Klopp and Pochettino prior to the champions league final because they hadn't won a trophy.

Its not so much that they're idiots, its that they speak with a thoroughly unearned authority. Neville and Carragher as loathsome as I find them, as criminally that they've normalized and made cheerleading an accepted part of co-commentary  can offer an opinion with some degree of "been there done that".

oh and WM is utter toss too.  I'm not sure who commentates on the games but he sounds like he's one bad day away from leaping off a bridge.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4389 on: October 06, 2020, 12:58:35 PM »
As far as I know it's Franks and Garry Thompson that do our gmes on WM.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4390 on: October 06, 2020, 12:59:48 PM »
It is 'Rego'and Garry. 

Online danno

« Reply #4391 on: October 06, 2020, 01:03:26 PM »
It is 'Rego'and Garry.

Mark Regan, thanks! for some reason I thought it was Paul something.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4392 on: October 06, 2020, 01:07:27 PM »
Some years ago it was obvious that WM's audience was getting older, so they had to go downmarket to get a reaction. They haven't stopped yet.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4393 on: October 06, 2020, 01:13:19 PM »
I listened to the phone in sometime late last year or early this year driving back from work.

Basically it was Call Me Franksy (who someone on here said is a Nose, not a Baggie) saying some bollocks like and a paraphrase '...looking at it now would Villa have been better off sticking with Steve Bruce. I am just putting out there....'

This is playground like bollocks.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4394 on: October 06, 2020, 01:30:50 PM »

They still do it as a podcast, just not bothered in the studio for whatever reason. I suspect it might be because so many people dropped out during the programme last season or just to save some money.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal