collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your old programmes  (Read 23398 times)

Offline middleagedvillafan

Re: Your old programmes
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »
A guy who worked with my Dad had no interest in football but his father in law who lived with them was a massive Villa fan. Back in the 3rd division days we would stop off coming through Gravelly Hill and collect him on the way to the game. He would tell us stories about Harry Hampton and him going to the 1905 FA Cup final. Whatever time we arrived he would be standing ready at the front window as we drew up and was straight out the door to get to Villa Park. One time we must have been particularly early and went in the house. I can still picture being shown his old programmes. Maybe 8 or 9 bound volumes of the Aston Villa News and Record all pre first world war, the first team and reserve fixtures and in perfect condition. If memory serves me I think he died not that long after he came with us to the 1971 final.
As I say his son in law disliked football. Apparently after he died he cleared out his room fairly quickly and took everything to the dump.

It was reported that a couple of days after the new board took over in 1968 a skip was being filled with 'rubbish' including bound volumes of programmes going back to 1908 and burned. One man was, apparently, shouting with glee "The Villa are dead. Long live the Villa." as he hurled these irreplaceable artifacts into the fire. Guess which ex-travel agent this was.
Yes, It was the singer Harvey Andrews, who was working for VIlla at the time who was  ordered by Ellis to do this.  There was an original poster advertising the first ever Villa match as well as other pre 1900 stuff that got destroyed as well.  Why Andrews didn't have the gumption to try and save any of this I don't know?  Andrews made no mention of Ellis shouting 'Villa are dead' etc, in fact Ellis had just saved us, this jus sounds like the tired old Ellis bashing, yawn!

Offline Ron Manager

• GM : 03.04.2016
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2016, 11:11:20 AM »
I think he may still be alive. We saw his act a couple of times at the Red Lion Kings Heath.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2016, 05:40:53 PM »
Like a lot of people I have a good selection from the 60's buckets full from the 70's and 80's and not a lot from thereon in.  Finding rare ones like the Rochdale league cup final are getting harder by the year to source

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
Harvey Andrews I've seen a couple of times, once in a pub in Leicester circa 1983, me and my mate made up about a quarter of the audience but he's a lovely chap and a fine performer.  He's still playing, based in Shropshire I believe.

Offline littlevillain

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2016, 10:41:37 PM »
I have an early 70s home programme v Swindon with Pongo Warings autograph on it. He was in the Trinity rd and my Dad said "Go over to that old man and ask him for his signature" .     

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2016, 10:46:25 PM »
A guy who worked with my Dad had no interest in football but his father in law who lived with them was a massive Villa fan. Back in the 3rd division days we would stop off coming through Gravelly Hill and collect him on the way to the game. He would tell us stories about Harry Hampton and him going to the 1905 FA Cup final. Whatever time we arrived he would be standing ready at the front window as we drew up and was straight out the door to get to Villa Park. One time we must have been particularly early and went in the house. I can still picture being shown his old programmes. Maybe 8 or 9 bound volumes of the Aston Villa News and Record all pre first world war, the first team and reserve fixtures and in perfect condition. If memory serves me I think he died not that long after he came with us to the 1971 final.
As I say his son in law disliked football. Apparently after he died he cleared out his room fairly quickly and took everything to the dump.

It was reported that a couple of days after the new board took over in 1968 a skip was being filled with 'rubbish' including bound volumes of programmes going back to 1908 and burned. One man was, apparently, shouting with glee "The Villa are dead. Long live the Villa." as he hurled these irreplaceable artifacts into the fire. Guess which ex-travel agent this was.
Yes, It was the singer Harvey Andrews, who was working for VIlla at the time who was  ordered by Ellis to do this.  There was an original poster advertising the first ever Villa match as well as other pre 1900 stuff that got destroyed as well.  Why Andrews didn't have the gumption to try and save any of this I don't know?  Andrews made no mention of Ellis shouting 'Villa are dead' etc, in fact Ellis had just saved us, this jus sounds like the tired old Ellis bashing, yawn!

And a hearty welcome to you, too. Incidentally, the man who told me that story was the well-known Ellis basher and bore, Terry Weir.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
I have  a good  collection  up to around the mid 80's.  Past  that they became magazines  and I have no  interest whatsoever .  What I am lead  to believe though is that ticket stubs  are more valuable than programmes these days, quite  remarkable.  The anoraks  who I have smirked at in the past have had the last laugh.

Oh and I do miss the Saturday  evening Sports  Argus.  When I was  younger and lived in London after away games  I would go to this building on Fleet Street on the following Tuesday and buy my previous  Saturday copy.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2016, 04:09:50 PM »
I have  a good  collection  up to around the mid 80's.  Past  that they became magazines  and I have no  interest whatsoever .  What I am lead  to believe though is that ticket stubs  are more valuable than programmes these days, quite  remarkable.  The anoraks  who I have smirked at in the past have had the last laugh.

Oh and I do miss the Saturday  evening Sports  Argus.  When I was  younger and lived in London after away games  I would go to this building on Fleet Street on the following Tuesday and buy my previous  Saturday copy.

Stubs are definitely the new programmes. There was less of them, fewer were saved and the rare programmes are now almost all in the hands of collectors.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 07:09:37 PM »
I still got 3 mint tickets never used with stubs still attached from the league cup 2nd replay at old Trafford when 3 mates never turned up when there car broke down on route

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2016, 02:21:29 PM »

I arrived in London in 1985 and worked opposite that Fleet St newsagents. If I hadn't been to our game I would buy the Argus on the way to work on Monday morning.

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
Did any of you guys email me about purchasing one of the tickets I posted about

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2016, 06:40:57 PM »
Yes me.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2022, 07:55:57 PM »
I’ve got a large number of villa programmes going free to a good home. They date back to the early 1960’s. Can’t be bothered to count them but 400+ maybe. Message me if interested.

Offline BlackCountryVilla

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2022, 08:26:56 PM »
I’ve got a large number of villa programmes going free to a good home. They date back to the early 1960’s. Can’t be bothered to count them but 400+ maybe. Message me if interested.
Sent you a message mate...

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2022, 03:43:56 AM »
I have most of the home league & cup games from end of WW2 to 1982.
Before 1968 Villa used to produce a reserve programme also as the Central League was very important back then.
A lot of these are pretty hard to get hold of from late 40's and 50's and therefore reasonably valuable.
A few first team ones I haven't been able to get hold of are Portsmouth 18/2/53 and Stoke 25/3/53 and a postponed game with Cardiff 30/12/61.
The early 1960's League Cup final programmes (home and away legs) are reasonably valuable as is the Man U (+ Burnley res) home following the Munich air crash in 1958.
Pre WW2 is a different matter entirely.
Some of those bound season volumes from back then are worth thousands as is FA Cup final from 1924 (v Newcastle).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal